Tracking poverty over time in the absence of comparable consumption data
AbstractFollowing the endorsement of the Millennium Development Goals, there is an increasing demand for methods to track poverty regularly. This paper develops an economically intuitive and inexpensive methodology to do so in the absence of regular, comparable data on household consumption. The minimum data requirements for the methodology are the availability of a household budget survey and a series of surveys with a comparable set of asset data also contained in the budget survey. The methodology is illustrated using a series of Demographic Health Surveys fromKenya.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by The World Bank in its series Policy Research Working Paper Series with number 3810.
Date of creation: 01 Jan 2006
Date of revision:
Rural Poverty Reduction; Achieving Shared Growth; Poverty Monitoring&Analysis; Economic Theory&Research; Poverty Lines;
Other versions of this item:
- David Stifel & Luc Christiaensen, 2007. "Tracking Poverty Over Time in the Absence of Comparable Consumption Data," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 21(2), pages 317-341, June.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Elbers, Chris & Lanjouw, Jean O. & Lanjouw, Peter, 2002. "Micro-level estimation of welfare," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2911, The World Bank.
- Quisumbing, Agnes R. & Haddad, Lawrence & Pena, Christine, 2001. "Are women overrepresented among the poor? An analysis of poverty in 10 developing countries," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 66(1), pages 225-269, October.
- Gaurav Datt & Martin Ravallion, 2002.
"Is India's Economic Growth Leaving the Poor Behind?,"
Journal of Economic Perspectives,
American Economic Association, vol. 16(3), pages 89-108, Summer.
- Datt, Gaurav & Ravallion, Martin, 2002. "Is India's economic growth leaving the poor behind?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2846, The World Bank.
- Christiaensen, Luc. J. & Subbarao, Kalanidhi, 2004.
"Toward an understanding of household vulnerability in rural Kenya,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
3326, The World Bank.
- Luc J. Christiaensen & Kalanidhi Subbarao, 2005. "Towards an Understanding of Household Vulnerability in Rural Kenya," Journal of African Economies, Centre for the Study of African Economies (CSAE), vol. 14(4), pages 520-558, December.
- Menno Pradhan, 2009.
"Welfare Analysis with a Proxy Consumption Measure: Evidence from a Repeated Experiment in Indonesia,"
Institute for Fiscal Studies, vol. 30(Special I), pages 391-417, December.
- Menno Pradhan, 2001. "Welfare Analysis with a Proxy Consumption Measure – Evidence from a Repeated Experiment in Indonesia," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 01-092/2, Tinbergen Institute.
- Harold Alderman & Miriam Babita & Gabriel Demombynes & Nthabiseng Makhatha & Berk �zler, 2002. "How Low Can You Go? Combining Census and Survey Data for Mapping Poverty in South Africa," Journal of African Economies, Centre for the Study of African Economies (CSAE), vol. 11(2), pages 169-200, June.
- Andrew Chesher & Christian Schluter, 2001.
"Welfare measurement and measurement error,"
CeMMAP working papers
CWP03/01, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Chesher, Andrew & Schluter, Christian, 2002. "Welfare Measurement and Measurement Error," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 69(2), pages 357-78, April.
- Andrew Chesher & Christian Schluter, 2002. "Welfare Measurement and Measurement Error," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 69(2), pages 357-378.
- Chris Elbers & Jean O. Lanjouw & Peter Lanjouw, 2003. "Micro--Level Estimation of Poverty and Inequality," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 71(1), pages 355-364, January.
- Angus Deaton, 2003. "Household Surveys, Consumption, and the Measurement of Poverty," Economic Systems Research, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 15(2), pages 135-159.
- Ravallion, Martin, 1996.
"Issues in measuring and modeling poverty,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
1615, The World Bank.
- Sahn, David E. & Stifel, David C., 2000. "Poverty Comparisons Over Time and Across Countries in Africa," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 28(12), pages 2123-2155, December.
- Sahn, David E. & Stifel, David C., 2003. "Progress Toward the Millennium Development Goals in Africa," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 23-52, January.
- Ravallion, Martin, 2001.
"Measuring aggregate welfare in developing countries - How well do national accounts and surveys agree?,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
2665, The World Bank.
- Martin Ravallion, 2003. "Measuring Aggregate Welfare in Developing Countries: How Well Do National Accounts and Surveys Agree?," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 85(3), pages 645-652, August.
- Angus Deaton & Salman Zaidi, 1999.
"Guidelines for Constructing Consumption Aggregates For Welfare Analysis,"
217, Princeton University, Woodrow Wilson School of Public and International Affairs, Research Program in Development Studies..
- Deaton, A. & Zaidi, S., 1999. "Guidelines for Constructing Consumption Aggregates for Welfare Analysis," Papers 192, Princeton, Woodrow Wilson School - Development Studies.
- Harttgen, Kenneth & Klasen, Stephan & Vollmer, Sebastian, 2012.
"Economic Growth and Child Undernutrition in Africa,"
130164, Georg-August-Universitaet Goettingen, GlobalFood, Department of Agricultural Economics and Rural Development.
- Kenneth Harttgen & Stephan Klasen & Sebastian Vollmer, 2012. "Economic Growth and Child Undernutrition in Africa," Working Papers 2012-013, United Nations Development Programme, Regional Bureau for Africa (UNDP/RBA).
- Kenneth Harttgen & Stephan Klasen & Sebastian Vollmer, 2012. "An African Growth Miracle? Or: What do Asset Indices Tell Us about Trends in Economic Performance?," Courant Research Centre: Poverty, Equity and Growth - Discussion Papers 109, Courant Research Centre PEG.
- Harttgen, Kenneth & Opfinger, Matthias, 2012.
"In the Nation We Trust: National Identity as a Substitute for Religion,"
Diskussionspapiere der Wirtschaftswissenschaftlichen FakultÃ¤t der Leibniz UniversitÃ¤t Hannover
dp-491, Leibniz Universität Hannover, Wirtschaftswissenschaftliche Fakultät.
- Harttgen, Kenneth & Opfinger, Matthias, 2012. "In the Nation We Trust: National Identity as a Substitute for Religion," AICCON Working Papers 107-2012, Associazione Italiana per la Cultura della Cooperazione e del Non Profit.
- Melanie Grosse & Stephan Klasen & Julius Spatz, 2009. "Matching Household Surveys with DHS Data to Create Nationally Representative Time Series of Poverty: An Application to Bolivia," Courant Research Centre: Poverty, Equity and Growth - Discussion Papers 21, Courant Research Centre PEG.
- Harttgen, Kenneth & Klasen, Stephan, 2012.
"A Household-Based Human Development Index,"
Elsevier, vol. 40(5), pages 878-899.
- Kenneth Harttgen & Stephan Klasen, 2010. "A Household-Based Human Development Index," Human Development Research Papers (2009 to present) HDRP-2010-22, Human Development Report Office (HDRO), United Nations Development Programme (UNDP).
- Harttgen, Kenneth & Klasen, Stephan, 2010. "A household-based Human Development Index," Proceedings of the German Development Economics Conference, Hannover 2010 30, Verein für Socialpolitik, Research Committee Development Economics.
- Kodila-Tedika, Oasis, 2012. "Africa's statistical tragedy: best statistics, best government effectiveness," MPRA Paper 40674, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Echevin, Damien, 2011. "Vulnerability and livelihoods before and after the Haiti earthquake," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5850, The World Bank.
- Deon Filmer & Kinnon Scott, 2012.
"Assessing Asset Indices,"
Springer, vol. 49(1), pages 359-392, February.
- Sebastian Levine & Benjamin Roberts, 2012. "Robust Estimates of Changes in Poverty and Inequality in Post-Independence Namibia," Working Papers 102, International Policy Centre for Inclusive Growth.
- World Bank, 2011. "Georgia - Poverty dynamics, 2003-2010," World Bank Other Operational Studies 2806, The World Bank.
- World Bank, 2009. "Kenya - Poverty and Inequality Assessment : Executive Summary and Synthesis Report," World Bank Other Operational Studies 3081, The World Bank.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Roula I. Yazigi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.