Rural credit in developing countries
AbstractSubsidized formal credit to the agricultural sector has been advocated as more efficient, equitable, and easier to implement than, say, land reform. But the record on subsidized credit to farmers is dismal. It shows a significant failure either to achieve an increase of agricultural output cost-effectively or to improve rural income distribution and alleviate poverty. Many of the financial institutions have proven to be inept and to lack accountability. Common features of the success stories are tougher stands on default; strict auditing and accounting procedures and financial control; and some form of joint responsibility or liability by small groups of farmers, whereby default by one member cancels future loans to the whole group.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by The World Bank in its series Policy Research Working Paper Series with number 219.
Date of creation: 30 Jun 1989
Date of revision:
Banks&Banking Reform; Environmental Economics&Policies; Economic Theory&Research; Financial Intermediation; Insurance&Risk Mitigation;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Raaj Kumar Sah & Joseph E. Stiglitz, 1983. "The Economics of Price Scissors," NBER Working Papers 1156, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lazear, Edward P & Rosen, Sherwin, 1981.
"Rank-Order Tournaments as Optimum Labor Contracts,"
Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 89(5), pages 841-64, October.
- Feder, Gershon, 1985. "The relation between farm size and farm productivity : The role of family labor, supervision and credit constraints," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 18(2-3), pages 297-313, August.
- Braverman, Avishay & Hammer, Jeffrey S & Gron, Anne, 1987. "Multimarket Analysis of Agricultural Price Policies in an Operational Context: The Case of Cyprus," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, World Bank Group, vol. 1(2), pages 337-56, January.
- Bhattacharya, Sudipto & Guasch, J Luis, 1988. "Heterogeneity, Tournaments, and Hierarchies," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, University of Chicago Press, vol. 96(4), pages 867-81, August.
- Allen, Franklin, 1983. "Credit Rationing and Payment Incentives," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 50(4), pages 639-46, October.
- Braverman, Avishay & Srinivasan, T. N., 1981. "Credit and sharecropping in agrarian societies," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 9(3), pages 289-312, December.
- Bhaduri, Amit, 1977. "On the Formation of Usurious Interest Rates in Backward Agriculture," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, Oxford University Press, vol. 1(4), pages 341-52, December.
- Braverman, Avishay & Stiglitz, Joseph E., 1986. "Landlords, tenants and technological innovations," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 23(2), pages 313-332, October.
- Braverman, Avishay & Guasch, J. Luis, 1984. "Capital requirements, screening and interlinked sharecropping and credit contracts," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 359-374, April.
- Deepak Lal, 1991. "Social Policy After Socialism," UCLA Economics Working Papers, UCLA Department of Economics 641, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Deepak Lal, 1994. "Labor Market Insurance and Social Safety Nets in Developing Countries," UCLA Economics Working Papers, UCLA Department of Economics 716, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Pei Guo & Xiangping Jia, 2008.
"The Structure and Reform of Rural Finance in China,"
Working Papers, China Agricultural University, College of Economics and Management
0802, China Agricultural University, College of Economics and Management.
- Pei Guo & Xiangping Jia, 2009. "The structure and reform of rural finance in China," China Agricultural Economic Review, Emerald Group Publishing, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 1(2), pages 212-226, May.
- Casillas, Gabriel & Mitchell, Paul D., 2003. "Rural Credit Rationing And National Development Banks In Developing Countries," 2003 Annual meeting, July 27-30, Montreal, Canada, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association) 22199, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Binswanger, Hans & Khandker, Shahidur, 1992. "The impact of formal finance on the rural economy of India," Policy Research Working Paper Series, The World Bank 949, The World Bank.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Roula I. Yazigi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.