Who controls East Asian corporations ?
AbstractThe authors identify the ultimate ownership structure for 2,980 corporations in nine East Asian countries. They find that: A) More than half of those firms are controlled be a single shareholder. B) Smaller firms and older firms are more likely to be family-controlled. C) Patterns of controlling ownership stakes differ across countries. The concentration of control generally diminishes with higher economic and institutional development. D) In many countries control is enhanced though pyramid structures and deviations from one-share-one-vote rules. As a result, voting rights exceed cash-flow rights. E) Management is rarely separated from ownership control, and management in two thirds of the firms that are not widely held is related to management of the controlling shareholder. F) In some countries, wealth is very concentrated and links between government andbusiness are extensive, so the legal system has probably been influenced by the prevailing ownership structure.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by The World Bank in its series Policy Research Working Paper Series with number 2054.
Date of creation: 28 Feb 1999
Date of revision:
Small and Medium Size Enterprises; Microfinance; Small Scale Enterprise; International Terrorism&Counterterrorism; Economic Theory&Research; Microfinance; Private Participation in Infrastructure; Small Scale Enterprise; Rural Land Policies for Poverty Reduction; Economic Theory&Research;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jensen, Michael C. & Meckling, William H., 1976. "Theory of the firm: Managerial behavior, agency costs and ownership structure," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 3(4), pages 305-360, October.
- Raghuram G. Rajan & Luigi Zingales, 1998.
"Which Capitalism? Lessons Form The East Asian Crisis,"
Journal of Applied Corporate Finance,
Morgan Stanley, vol. 11(3), pages 40-48.
- Raghuram G. Rajan & Luigi Zingales, 1998. "Which Capitalism? Lessons from the East Asian Crisis," CRSP working papers 486, Center for Research in Security Prices, Graduate School of Business, University of Chicago.
- Prowse, Stephen D, 1992. " The Structure of Corporate Ownership in Japan," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 47(3), pages 1121-40, July.
- Rafael LaPorta & Florencio Lopez de-Silanes & Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, 1996.
"Law and Finance,"
Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers
1768, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Rafael La Porta & Florencio Lopez-de-Silane & Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, 1996. "Law and Finance," NBER Working Papers 5661, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Rafael LaPorta & Florencio Lopez-de-Silanes & Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, . "Law and Finance," Working Paper 19451, Harvard University OpenScholar.
- La Porta, Rafael & Lopez-de-Silanes, Florencio & Shleifer, Andrei & Vishny, Robert W., 1998. "Law and Finance," Scholarly Articles 3451310, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Shleifer, Andrei & Vishny, Robert W, 1986.
"Large Shareholders and Corporate Control,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 94(3), pages 461-88, June.
- Rafael La Porta & Florencio Lopez-de-Silanes & Andrei Shleifer, 1998.
"Corporate Ownership Around the World,"
Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers
1840, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Morck, Randall & Shleifer, Andrei & Vishny, Robert W., 1988. "Management ownership and market valuation : An empirical analysis," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(1-2), pages 293-315, January.
- Demsetz, Harold, 1986. "Corporate Control, Insider Trading, and Rates of Return," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 76(2), pages 313-16, May.
- Edita A. Tan, 1993. "Interlocking Directorates, Commercial Banks, Other Financial Institutions and Non-Financial Corporations," Philippine Review of Economics, University of the Philippines School of Economics and Philippine Economic Society, vol. 30(1), pages 1-50, June.
- Rodrik, Dani, 1997. "The 'paradoxes' of the successful state," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 41(3-5), pages 411-442, April.
- Amsden, Alice H. & Singh, Ajit, 1994. "The optimal degree of competition and dynamic efficiency in Japan and Korea," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 38(3-4), pages 941-951, April.
- Kaplan, Steven N, 1994. "Top Executive Rewards and Firm Performance: A Comparison of Japan and the United States," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 102(3), pages 510-46, June.
- Sato, Yuri, 1993. "The Salim Group in Indonesia: the development and behavior of the largest conglomerate in Southeast Asia," The Developing Economies, Institute of Developing Economies, Japan External Trade Organization(JETRO), vol. 31(4), pages 408-441, December.
- Aoki, Masahiko, 1990. "Toward an Economic Model of the Japanese Firm," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 28(1), pages 1-27, March.
- Claudiu BOCEAN & Catalin M. BARBU, 2007. "Corporate Governance And Firm Performance," Management and Marketing Journal, University of Craiova, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, vol. 5(1), pages 125-131, November.
- Driffield, Nigel & Pal, Sarmistha, 2008.
"Evolution of Capital Structure in East Asia: Corporate Inertia or Endeavours?,"
IZA Discussion Papers
3426, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Nigel Driffield & Sarmistha Pal, 2010. "Evolution of capital structure in east Asia-corporate inertia or endeavours?," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series A, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 173(1), pages 1-29.
- Nigel Driffield & Sarmistha Pal, 2008. "Evolution of Capital Strcture in East Asia: Corporate Inertia or Endeavours?," CEDI Discussion Paper Series 08-04, Centre for Economic Development and Institutions(CEDI), Brunel University.
- Yves Bozec & Claude Laurin, 2004. "Concentration des droits de propriété, séparation entre participation au capital et contrôle des votes et performance opérationnelle des sociétés:une étude canadienne," Revue Finance Contrôle Stratégie, revues.org, vol. 7(2), pages 123-164, June.
- Erik BERGLÖF & Ernst-Ludwig VON THADDEN, 1999.
"The Changing Corporate Governance Paradigm : Implications for Transition and Developing Countries,"
Cahiers de Recherches Economiques du DÃ©partement d'EconomÃ©trie et d'Economie politique (DEEP)
9912, Université de Lausanne, Faculté des HEC, DEEP.
- Erik Berglof & Ernst-Ludwig von Thadden, 1999. "The Changing Corporate Governance Paradigm: Implications for Transition and Developing Countries," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series 263, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Ferris, Stephen P. & Kim, Kenneth A. & Kitsabunnarat, Pattanaporn, 2003. "The costs (and benefits?) of diversified business groups: The case of Korean chaebols," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 251-273, February.
- Gonzalez, Eduardo T. & Mendoza, Magdalena L., . "Governance in Southeast Asia: Issues and Options," Discussion Papers DP 2002-07, Philippine Institute for Development Studies.
- Sami Basly, 2006. "Propriete, Decision Et Strategie De L'Entreprise Familiale : Une Analyse Theorique," Post-Print halshs-00192818, HAL.
- Wan-Hussin, Wan Nordin, 2009. "The impact of family-firm structure and board composition on corporate transparency: Evidence based on segment disclosures in Malaysia," The International Journal of Accounting, Elsevier, vol. 44(4), pages 313-333, December.
- Richard J. Herring & Nathporn Chatusripitak, 2000. "The Case of the Missing Market: The Bond Market and Why It Matters for Financial Development," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 01-08, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Adrian E. Tschoegl, 2004. "Financial Crises and the Presence of Foreign Banks," International Finance 0405016, EconWPA.
- Intan Oviantari Author_Email: email@example.com, 2011. "Directors And Commissioners Remuneration And Firm Performance: Indonesian Evidence," 2nd International Conference on Business and Economic Research (2nd ICBER 2011) Proceeding 2011-287, Conference Master Resources.
- Luc E. Leruth & Yougesh Khatri & J. Piesse, 2002. "Corporate Performance and Governance in Malaysia," IMF Working Papers 02/152, International Monetary Fund.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Roula I. Yazigi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.