Corporate Governance Structure and Performance of Malaysian Listed Companies
AbstractThis study investigates the relationship between the corporate governance structure and performance of 347 companies listed on the Kuala Lumpur Stock Exchange (KLSE) between 1996 and 2000. We found board size and top five substantial shareholdings to be significantly associated with both market and accounting performance measures. In addition, we found a significant relationship between multiple directorships and market performance while role duality and managerial shareholdings are significantly associated with accounting performance. The result is robust with respect to controls for gearing, company size, industry membership and growth opportunities. Copyright 2006 The Authors Journal compilation (c) 2006 Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Wiley Blackwell in its journal Journal of Business Finance & Accounting.
Volume (Year): 33 (2006-09)
Issue (Month): 7-8 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0306-686X
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Collins G. Ntim & Kwaku K. Opong & Jo Danbolt & Dennis A. Thomas, 2012. "Voluntary corporate governance disclosures by post-Apartheid South African corporations," Journal of Applied Accounting Research, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 13(2), pages 122-144.
- Nurwati A. Ahmad-Zaluki & Wan Nordin Wan-Hussin, 2010. "Corporate governance and earnings forecasts accuracy," Asian Review of Accounting, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 18(1), pages 50-67, May.
- Rahimah Mohamed Yunos Author_Email: firstname.lastname@example.org & Malcolm Smith & Zubaidah Ismail & Syahrul Ahmar Ahmad, 2011. "Inside Concentrated Owners, Board Of Directors And Accounting Conservatism," Annual Summit on Business and Entrepreneurial Studies (ASBES 2011) Proceeding 2011-053-178, Conference Master Resources.
- Yahya Ali Al-Matari & Abdullah Kaid Al-Swidi & Faudziah Hanim Bt Fadzil & Ebrahim Mohammed Al-Matari, 2012. "Board of Directors, Audit Committee Characteristics and Performance of Saudi Arabia Listed Companies," International Review of Management and Marketing, Econjournals, vol. 2(4), pages 241-251.
- Andy Cosh & Paul Guest & Alan Hughes, 2007. "UK Corporate Governance and Takeover Performance," ESRC Centre for Business Research - Working Papers wp357, ESRC Centre for Business Research.
- Noor Afza Amran Author_Email:, 2011. "Who Influence Family Company Performance: Founder Of Successor?," 2nd International Conference on Business and Economic Research (2nd ICBER 2011) Proceeding 2011-259, Conference Master Resources.
- Holm, Claus & Schøler, Finn, 2008. "Reduction of Asymmetric Information through Corporate Governance Mechanisms : The Importance of Ownership Dispersion and International," Accounting Research Center Working Papers A-2008-02, University of Aarhus, Aarhus School of Business, Department of Business Studies.
- Ntim, Collins G., 2011. "The King Reports, Independent Non-Executive Directors and Firm Valuation on the Johannesburg Stock Exchange," MPRA Paper 45812, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Mazlina Mustapha & Ayoib Che Ahmad, 2011. "Agency theory and managerial ownership: evidence from Malaysia," Managerial Auditing Journal, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 26(5), pages 419-436, May.
- Noor Afza Amran, 2011. "The Effect Of Owner’S Gender And Age To Firm Performance: A Review On Malaysian Public Listed Family Businesses," Journal of Global Business and Economics, Global Research Agency, vol. 2(1), pages 104-116, January.
- Mohd Azmi Mohd Noor Author_Email: mnmazmi@ tm.com.my & Dr. Faudziah Hanim Bt Fadzil, 2011. "Influence Of Corporate Governance Attributes On Firms’ Financial Performance In Malaysia," Annual Summit on Business and Entrepreneurial Studies (ASBES 2011) Proceeding 2011-039-124, Conference Master Resources.
- Wan-Hussin, Wan Nordin, 2009. "The impact of family-firm structure and board composition on corporate transparency: Evidence based on segment disclosures in Malaysia," The International Journal of Accounting, Elsevier, vol. 44(4), pages 313-333, December.
- Fidanoski, Filip & Mateska, Vesna & Simeonovski, Kiril, 2013. "Corporate Governance and Bank Performance: Evidence from Macedonia," MPRA Paper 46773, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised Mar 2013.
- Ntim, collins g & Opong, kwaku k & Danbolt, jo, 2010. "Corporate governance, affirmative action and firm value: evidence from post-apartheid South African firms," MPRA Paper 32297, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 04 Aug 2011.
- Mazlina Mustapha Author_Email: email@example.com & Hashanah Bt Ismail & Badriyah Bt Minai, 2011. "Determinants Of Debt Structure: Empirical Evidence From Malaysia," 2nd International Conference on Business and Economic Research (2nd ICBER 2011) Proceeding 2011-490, Conference Master Resources.
- Masood Fooladi Chaghadari Author_Email: firstname.lastname@example.org & Zaleha Abdul Shukor, 2011. "Corporate Governance And Disclosure Of Related Party Transactions," 2nd International Conference on Business and Economic Research (2nd ICBER 2011) Proceeding 2011-267, Conference Master Resources.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.