Modelling smoothly the joint effect of several advertising media on sales in a homogeneous market
AbstractDecision on the use of different advertising media is a critical issue in marketing. Drawing on some literature related to the dynamic Nerlove-Arrow model, we propose a nonlinear programming framework for discussing how different advertising media may jointly affect the demand for a good. Starting from the idea that different advertising efforts may not simply add (linearly) to produce the demand result, we examine a few special media combination mechanisms which can be represented by smooth functions.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Department of Applied Mathematics, Università Ca' Foscari Venezia in its series Working Papers with number 176.
Length: 14 pages
Date of creation: Nov 2008
Date of revision:
Marketing; Advertising; Production; Nonlinear programming;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- M37 - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting - - Marketing and Advertising - - - Advertising
- M31 - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting - - Marketing and Advertising - - - Marketing
- C61 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Mathematical Methods; Programming Models; Mathematical and Simulation Modeling - - - Optimization Techniques; Programming Models; Dynamic Analysis
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2008-12-01 (All new papers)
- NEP-COM-2008-12-01 (Industrial Competition)
- NEP-CUL-2008-12-01 (Cultural Economics)
- NEP-MIC-2008-12-01 (Microeconomics)
- NEP-MKT-2008-12-01 (Marketing)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lambert Schoonbeek & Peter Kooreman, 2007. "The Impact Of Advertising In A Duopoly Game," International Game Theory Review (IGTR), World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 9(04), pages 565-581.
- Salma Karray & Georges Zaccour, 2007. "Effectiveness Of Coop Advertising Programs In Competitive Distribution Channels," International Game Theory Review (IGTR), World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 9(02), pages 151-167.
- Pradeep K. Chintagunta & Dipak Jain, 1992. "A Dynamic Model of Channel Member Strategies for Marketing Expenditures," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 11(2), pages 168-188.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Marco LiCalzi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.