Consistent solutions in exchange economies: A characterization of the price mechanism
AbstractWe characterize the Walrasian allocations correspondence by means of four axioms: consistency, replica invariance, individual rationality and Pareto optimality. It is shown that for any given class of exchange economies any solution that satisfies the axioms is a selection from the Walrasian allocations with slack. Preferences are assumed to be smooth, but may be satiated and non--convex. A class of economies is defined as all economies whose agents' preferences belong to an arbitrary family (finite or infinite) of types. The result can be modified to characterize equal budget Walrasian allocations with slack by replacing individual rationality with individual rationality from equal division. The results are valid also for classes of economies in which core--Walras equivalence does not hold.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra in its series Economics Working Papers with number 141.
Date of creation: Nov 1995
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.econ.upf.edu/
Other versions of this item:
- Nir Dagan, 1995. "Consistent Solutions in Exchange Economies: a Characterization of the Price Mechanism," Economic theory and game theory 011, Nir Dagan.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Thomson, William, 1988. "A study of choice correspondences in economies with a variable number of agents," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 46(2), pages 237-254, December.
- Nouweland, C.G.A.M. van den & Peleg, B. & Tijs, S.H., 1996.
"Axiomatic characterizations of the Walras correspondence for generalized economies,"
Open Access publications from Tilburg University
urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-72933, Tilburg University.
- van den Nouweland, A. & Peleg, B. & Tijs, S., 1996. "Axiomatic characterizations of the Walras correspondence for generalized economies," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(3), pages 355-372.
- Nouweland, C.G.A.M. van den & Peleg, B. & Tijs, S.H., 1994. "Axiomatic characterizations of the Walras correspondence for generalized economies," Discussion Paper 1994-58, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Lensberg, Terje, 1988. "Stability and the Nash solution," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 45(2), pages 330-341, August.
- Hart, Sergiu & Mas-Colell, Andreu, 1989. "Potential, Value, and Consistency," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 57(3), pages 589-614, May.
- Klaus,B. & Peters,H. & Storcken,T., 1995.
"Reallocation of an infinetely divisible good,"
012, Maastricht University, Maastricht Research School of Economics of Technology and Organization (METEOR).
- Nir Dagan, 1996.
"A Note on Thomson's Characterizations of the Uniform Rule,"
Economic theory and game theory
003, Nir Dagan.
- Dagan, Nir, 1996. "A Note on Thomson's Characterizations of the Uniform Rule," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 69(1), pages 255-261, April.
- Thomson William, 1994. "Consistent Solutions to the Problem of Fair Division When Preferences Are Single-Peaked," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 63(2), pages 219-245, August.
- Peleg, B, 1986. "On the Reduced Game Property and Its Converse," International Journal of Game Theory, Springer, vol. 15(3), pages 187-200.
- Champsaur, Paul & Laroque, Guy, 1981. "Fair allocations in large economies," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 25(2), pages 269-282, October.
- Peleg, Bezalel, 1985. "An axiomatization of the core of cooperative games without side payments," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(2), pages 203-214, April.
- Thomson, William & Zhou, Lin, 1993. "Consistent Solutions in Atomless Economies," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 61(3), pages 575-87, May.
- Nir Dagan, 1996.
"Consistency and the Walrasian allocations correspondence,"
Economics Working Papers
151, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Nir Dagan, 1996. "Consistency and the Walrasian Allocations Correspondence," Economic theory and game theory 012, Nir Dagan.
- Sönmez, Tayfun & Ünver, M. Utku, 2010. "House allocation with existing tenants: A characterization," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 69(2), pages 425-445, July.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.