Satisfaction with Social Contacts of Older Europeans
AbstractThis paper analyses the determinants of an important component of well-being amongindividuals aged 50 years or older in eleven European countries: satisfaction with social contacts. We use data from the Survey of Health, Ageing and Retirement in Europe and anchoring vignettes to correct for potential differences in responses scales across countries and socio-demographic groups. On average, older Europeans report being satisfied with their social contacts, but there exist substantial differences across countries: respondents from Northern countries tend to be more satisfied than individuals from Central or Mediterranean countries. Our analysis shows that correcting for response scale differentials alters the country ranking for of satisfaction with social contacts, while it has much less effect on the estimates of what drives within country determinants.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Maastricht University, Maastricht Research School of Economics of Technology and Organization (METEOR) in its series Research Memorandum with number 060.
Date of creation: 2010
Date of revision:
Other versions of this item:
- Eric Bonsang & Arthur Soest, 2012. "Satisfaction with Social Contacts of Older Europeans," Social Indicators Research, Springer, vol. 105(2), pages 273-292, January.
- Bonsang Eric & Soest Arthur van, 2010. "Satisfaction with Social Contacts of Older Europeans," ROA Research Memorandum 012, Maastricht University, Research Centre for Education and the Labour Market (ROA).
- I30 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Welfare, Well-Being, and Poverty - - - General
- J30 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Wages, Compensation, and Labor Costs - - - General
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Liam Delaney & Colm Harmon & Arie Kapteyn & Arthur Van Soest & James P Smith, 2008.
"Validating the Use of Vignettes for Subjective Threshold Scales,"
200808, School Of Economics, University College Dublin.
- van Soest, Arthur & Delaney, Liam & Harmon, Colm P. & Kapteyn, Arie & Smith, James P., 2007. "Validating the Use of Vignettes for Subjective Threshold Scales," IZA Discussion Papers 2860, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Arthur van Soest & Liam Delaney & Colm Harmon & Arie Kapteyn & James P. Smith, 2007. "Validating the Use of Vignettes for Subjective Threshold Scales," Working Papers 501, RAND Corporation Publications Department.
- Soest, A.H.O. van & Delaney, L. & Harmon, C. & Kapteyn, A. & Smith, J.P., 2007. "Validating the Use of Vignettes for Subjective Threshold Scales," Discussion Paper 2007-43, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Arthur Van Soest & Liam Delaney & Colm Harmon & Arie Kapteyn & James P. Smith, 2007. "Validating the Use of Vignettes for Subjective Threshold Scales," Working Papers 200714, Geary Institute, University College Dublin.
- Mònica González & Ferran Casas & Germà Coenders, 2007. "A Complexity Approach to Psychological Well-Being in Adolescence: Major Strengths and Methodological Issues," Social Indicators Research, Springer, vol. 80(2), pages 267-295, January.
- Frijters, Paul, 2000. "Do individuals try to maximize general satisfaction?," Journal of Economic Psychology, Elsevier, vol. 21(3), pages 281-304, June.
- Farquhar, Morag, 1995. "Elderly people's definitions of quality of life," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 41(10), pages 1439-1446, November.
- Chaonan Chen, 2001. "Aging and Life Satisfaction," Social Indicators Research, Springer, vol. 54(1), pages 57-79, April.
- Mariano Rojas, 2006. "Life satisfaction and satisfaction in domains of life: is it a simple relationship?," Journal of Happiness Studies, Springer, vol. 7(4), pages 467-497, November.
- Teresa Bago d’Uva & Eddy Van Doorslaer & Maarten Lindeboom & Owen O’Donnell & Somnath Chatterji, 2006.
"Does reporting heterogeneity bias the measurement of health disparities?,"
Health, Econometrics and Data Group (HEDG) Working Papers
06/03, HEDG, c/o Department of Economics, University of York.
- Teresa Bago d'Uva & Eddy Van Doorslaer & Maarten Lindeboom & Owen O'Donnell, 2008. "Does reporting heterogeneity bias the measurement of health disparities?," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 17(3), pages 351-375.
- Teresa Bago d'Uva & Eddy van Doorslaer & Maarten Lindeboom & Owen O'Donnell & Somnath Chatterji, 2006. "Does Reporting Heterogeneity bias the Measurement of Health Disparities?," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 06-033/3, Tinbergen Institute.
- John F. Helliwell & Christopher P. Barrington-Leigh & Anthony Harris & Haifang Huang, 2009. "International Evidence on the Social Context of Well-Being," NBER Working Papers 14720, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bernard M. S. van Praag & P. Frijters & Ada Ferrer-i-Carbonell, 2001.
"The Anatomy of Subjective Well-Being,"
Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin
265, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Kristensen, Nicolai & Johansson, Edvard, 2008.
"New evidence on cross-country differences in job satisfaction using anchoring vignettes,"
Elsevier, vol. 15(1), pages 96-117, February.
- Kristensen, Nicolai & Johansson, Edvard, 2006. "New Evidence on Cross-Country Differences in Job Satisfaction Using Anchoring Vignettes," Working Papers 06-1, University of Aarhus, Aarhus School of Business, Department of Economics.
- Rice, N & Robone, S & Smith, P.C, 2008. "International Comparison of Public Sector Performance: The Use of Anchoring Vignettes to adjust Self-Reported Data," Health, Econometrics and Data Group (HEDG) Working Papers 08/28, HEDG, c/o Department of Economics, University of York.
- Joaquina Lever, 2004. "Poverty and Subjective Well-being in Mexico," Social Indicators Research, Springer, vol. 68(1), pages 1-33, August.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Charles Bollen).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.