Do dictator games measure altruism?
AbstractThis note paper has been prepared for inclusion as a book chapter in a forthcoming Handbook on the Economics of Philanthropy, Reciprocity and Social Enterprise edited by Luigino Bruni and Stefano Zamagni and to be published by Edward Elgar.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by School of Economics, University of East Anglia, Norwich, UK. in its series Working Paper series, University of East Anglia, Centre for Behavioural and Experimental Social Science (CBESS) with number 12-03.
Date of creation: 01 Aug 2011
Date of revision:
Postal: Helen Chapman, School of Economics, University of East Anglia, Norwich Research Park, Norwich, NR4 7TJ, UK
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Alexander K. Koch & Hans-Theo Normann, 2008.
"Giving in Dictator Games: Regard for Others or Regard by Others?,"
Southern Economic Journal,
Southern Economic Association, vol. 75(1), pages 223-231, July.
- Koch, Alexander K. & Normann, Hans-Theo, 2005. "Giving in Dictator Games: Regard for Others or Regard by Others?," IZA Discussion Papers 1703, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Alexander K. Koch & Hans-Theo Normann, 2005. "Giving in Dictator Games: Regard for Others or Regard by Others?," Royal Holloway, University of London: Discussion Papers in Economics 05/09, Department of Economics, Royal Holloway University of London, revised Aug 2005.
- Christoph Engel, 2010.
"Dictator Games: A Meta Study,"
Working Paper Series of the Max Planck Institute for Research on Collective Goods
2010_07, Max Planck Institute for Research on Collective Goods, revised Jan 2011.
- Francesco Guala & Luigi Mittone, 2008.
"Paradigmatic Experiments: the Dictator Game,"
CEEL Working Papers
0807, Cognitive and Experimental Economics Laboratory, Department of Economics, University of Trento, Italia.
- Pablo Brañas-Garza, 2003.
"Poverty in Dictator Games: Awakening Solidarity,"
IESA Working Papers Series
0303, Institute for Social Syudies of Andalusia - Higher Council for Scientific Research.
- Pablo Brañas Garza, 2003. "Poverty in Dictator Games: Awakening Solidarity," Economic Working Papers at Centro de Estudios Andaluces E2003/50, Centro de Estudios Andaluces.
- Nicholas Bardsley, 2008. "Dictator game giving: altruism or artefact?," Experimental Economics, Springer, vol. 11(2), pages 122-133, June.
- Ruffle, Bradley J., 1998. "More Is Better, But Fair Is Fair: Tipping in Dictator and Ultimatum Games," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 23(2), pages 247-265, May.
- Fernando Aguiar & Pablo Bra�as-Garza & Luis M. Miller, 2008.
"Moral distance in dictator games,"
Judgment and Decision Making,
Society for Judgment and Decision Making, vol. 3, pages 344-354, April.
- Fernando Aguiar & Pablo Branas-Garza & Luis M. Miller, 2007. "Moral Distance and Moral Motivations in Dictator Games," Jena Economic Research Papers 2007-047, Friedrich-Schiller-University Jena, Max-Planck-Institute of Economics.
- Burnham, Terence C., 2003. "Engineering altruism: a theoretical and experimental investigation of anonymity and gift giving," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 50(1), pages 133-144, January.
- David Reinstein & Gerhard Riener, 2010.
"Reputation and Influence in Charitable Giving: An Experiment,"
Economics Discussion Papers
688, University of Essex, Department of Economics.
- David Reinstein & Gerhard Riener, 2012. "Reputation and influence in charitable giving: an experiment," Theory and Decision, Springer, vol. 72(2), pages 221-243, February.
- Guth, Werner & Schmittberger, Rolf & Schwarze, Bernd, 1982. "An experimental analysis of ultimatum bargaining," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 3(4), pages 367-388, December.
- Oechssler, Jörg, 2010.
"Searching beyond the lamppost: Let's focus on economically relevant questions,"
Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 73(1), pages 65-67, January.
- Oechssler, Jörg, 2009. "Searching beyond the lamppost: Let’s focus on economically relevant questions," Working Papers 0486, University of Heidelberg, Department of Economics.
- Smith, Vernon L., 2010. "Theory and experiment: What are the questions?," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 73(1), pages 3-15, January.
- Servtka, Maros, 2009. "Separating reputation, social influence, and identification effects in a dictator game," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 53(2), pages 197-209, February.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Alasdair Brown).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.