Análisis Conjunto de la Asistencia a Preescolar y de su Impacto en el Rendimiento Escolar en el Corto y el Largo Plazo
AbstractThe outcomes of the cohort of first year pupils of primary school of Montevideo in 1999 reveal effectiveness, efficiency and equity problems of the system. The pupils do not complete primary cycle on schedule, the worst results are obtained by those who attend to schools of unfavorable socioeconomic context and half fails to finish the school cycle on schedule. One of the actions to address these shortcomings was the expansion of public pre-school education. Previous work on the cohort, by probit and OLS estimates, confirmed that preschool education has had a positive impact on short and long term school performance. However, these estimates could be biased by endogeneity of the variable pre-school, which in this paper we try to remedy through bivariate probit and treatment effects models. These new results confirm that in previous estimation by probit and OLS models, we underestimated the positive impacts of preschool attendance both in the short and the long run.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Department of Economics - dECON in its series Documentos de Trabajo (working papers) with number 3110.
Length: 29 pages
Date of creation: Dec 2010
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Constituyente 1502, 6to piso, CP 11200, Montevideo
Phone: (598) 2410-6449
Fax: (598) 2410-6450
Web page: http://www.fcs.edu.uy/subcategoria.php?SubCatId=48&CatId=53
More information through EDIRC
preschool education; school results; bivariate probit; treatment effects; Uruguay;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- I21 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Education - - - Analysis of Education
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-02-19 (All new papers)
- NEP-CIS-2011-02-19 (Confederation of Independent States)
- NEP-EDU-2011-02-19 (Education)
- NEP-LAB-2011-02-19 (Labour Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hanushek, Eric A, 1995.
"Interpreting Recent Research on Schooling in Developing Countries,"
World Bank Research Observer,
World Bank Group, vol. 10(2), pages 227-46, August.
- Eric A. Hanushek, . "Interpreting Recent Research on Schooling in Developing Countries," Wallis Working Papers WP3, University of Rochester - Wallis Institute of Political Economy.
- Samuel Berlinski & Sebastian Galiani & Marco Manacorda, 2006.
"Giving children a better start: preschool attendance and school-age profiles,"
IFS Working Papers
W06/18, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Berlinski, Samuel & Galiani, Sebastian & Manacorda, Marco, 2008. "Giving children a better start: Preschool attendance and school-age profiles," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 92(5-6), pages 1416-1440, June.
- Berlinski, Samuel & Galiani, Sebastian & Manacorda, Marco, 2007. "Giving children a better start : preschool attendance and school-age profiles," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4240, The World Bank.
- Samuel Berlinski & Sebastian Galiani & Marco Manacorda, 2007. "Giving Children a Better Start: Preschool Attendance and School-Age Profiles," Working Papers 618, Queen Mary, University of London, School of Economics and Finance.
- Magnuson, Katherine A. & Ruhm, Christopher & Waldfogel, Jane, 2007.
"Does prekindergarten improve school preparation and performance?,"
Economics of Education Review,
Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 33-51, February.
- Katherine A. Magnuson & Christopher J. Ruhm & Jane Waldfogel, 2004. "Does Prekindergarten Improve School Preparation and Performance?," NBER Working Papers 10452, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hanushek, Eric A, 1986. "The Economics of Schooling: Production and Efficiency in Public Schools," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 24(3), pages 1141-77, September.
- Samuel Berlinski & Sebastian Galiani & Paul Gertler, 2006.
"The Effect of Pre-Primary Education on Primary School Performance,"
William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series
wp838, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Berlinski, Samuel & Galiani, Sebastian & Gertler, Paul, 2009. "The effect of pre-primary education on primary school performance," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 93(1-2), pages 219-234, February.
- Samuel Berlinski & Sebastian Galiani & Paul Gertler, 2006. "The effect of pre-primary education on primary school performance," IFS Working Papers W06/04, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Irene Musio) or (Héctor Pastori).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.