Pre-School Education and School Performance The Case of Public Schools in Montevideo
AbstractIn this paper we try to explain the academic performance of a sample of children starting their first year at public schools in 1999 in Montevideo, Uruguay. We are mainly interested in the effect of pre-school education on the children’s academic results. We found fairly strong empirical evidence to suggest that having pre-school education has a short term positive effect on these children’s results in the first year at school, and the long-term effect, after six years, seems to be somewhat weaker but is still positive. We also estimated several other factors connected with schools and with households that might lie behind children’s short-term and long-term performance. It is important to note that the results for boys are clearly differentiated from those for girls.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Gothenburg, Department of Economics in its series Working Papers in Economics with number 434.
Length: 27 pages
Date of creation: 17 Mar 2010
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Department of Economics, School of Business, Economics and Law, University of Gothenburg, Box 640, SE 405 30 GÖTEBORG, Sweden
Phone: 031-773 10 00
Web page: http://www.handels.gu.se/econ/
More information through EDIRC
pre-school education; school performance; Uruguay;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- I21 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Education - - - Analysis of Education
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2010-03-28 (All new papers)
- NEP-EDU-2010-03-28 (Education)
- NEP-LAB-2010-03-28 (Labour Economics)
- NEP-URE-2010-03-28 (Urban & Real Estate Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Steven G. Rivkin & Eric A. Hanushek & John F. Kain, 2005.
"Teachers, Schools, and Academic Achievement,"
Econometric Society, vol. 73(2), pages 417-458, 03.
- Samuel Berlinski & Sebastian Galiani & Marco Manacorda, 2007.
"Giving Children a Better Start: Preschool Attendance and School-Age Profiles,"
618, Queen Mary, University of London, School of Economics and Finance.
- Berlinski, Samuel & Galiani, Sebastian & Manacorda, Marco, 2008. "Giving children a better start: Preschool attendance and school-age profiles," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 92(5-6), pages 1416-1440, June.
- Samuel Berlinski & Sebastian Galiani & Marco Manacorda, 2006. "Giving children a better start: preschool attendance and school-age profiles," IFS Working Papers W06/18, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Berlinski, Samuel & Galiani, Sebastian & Manacorda, Marco, 2007. "Giving children a better start : preschool attendance and school-age profiles," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4240, The World Bank.
- Eric A. Hanushek, .
"Interpreting Recent Research on Schooling in Developing Countries,"
Wallis Working Papers
WP3, University of Rochester - Wallis Institute of Political Economy.
- Hanushek, Eric A, 1995. "Interpreting Recent Research on Schooling in Developing Countries," World Bank Research Observer, World Bank Group, vol. 10(2), pages 227-46, August.
- Fairlie, Robert W., 2006.
"An Extension of the Blinder-Oaxaca Decomposition Technique to Logit and Probit Models,"
IZA Discussion Papers
1917, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Robert W. Fairlie, 2003. "An Extension of the Blinder-Oaxaca Decomposition Technique to Logit and Probit Models," Working Papers 873, Economic Growth Center, Yale University.
- Tamás Bartus, 2006. "Marginal effects and extending the Blinder–Oaxaca decomposition for nonlinear models," United Kingdom Stata Users' Group Meetings 2006 05, Stata Users Group.
- Hanushek, Eric A, 1986. "The Economics of Schooling: Production and Efficiency in Public Schools," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 24(3), pages 1141-77, September.
- Ben Jann, 2008. "The Blinder–Oaxaca decomposition for linear regression models," Stata Journal, StataCorp LP, vol. 8(4), pages 453-479, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Eva-Lena Neth).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.