Stable Sets for Asymmetric Information Economies
AbstractAn exchange economy with asymmetrically informed agents is considered with an exogenous rule that regulates the information sharing among agents. For it, the notion of stable sets à la Von Neumann and Morgenstern is analyzed. Two different frameworks are taken into account as regards preferences: a model without expectations and a model with expected utility. For the first one, it is shown that the set $V$ of all individually rational, Pareto optimal, symmetric allocations is the unique stable set of symmetric allocations. For the second one, an example is presented which shows that the same set $V$ is not externally stable and a weaker result is proved. Finally, the coalitional incentive compatibility of allocations belonging to the unique stable set is provided.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Centre for Studies in Economics and Finance (CSEF), University of Naples, Italy in its series CSEF Working Papers with number 333.
Date of creation: 25 Jun 2013
Date of revision:
sets; asymmetric information; information sharing;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C71 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Game Theory and Bargaining Theory - - - Cooperative Games
- D51 - Microeconomics - - General Equilibrium and Disequilibrium - - - Exchange and Production Economies
- D82 - Microeconomics - - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty - - - Asymmetric and Private Information; Mechanism Design
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2013-07-05 (All new papers)
- NEP-CTA-2013-07-05 (Contract Theory & Applications)
- NEP-GTH-2013-07-05 (Game Theory)
- NEP-MIC-2013-07-05 (Microeconomics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Vincent Anesi, 2007.
"Noncooperative Foundations of Stable Sets in Voting Games,"
2007-09, The Centre for Decision Research and Experimental Economics, School of Economics, University of Nottingham.
- Anesi, Vincent, 2010. "Noncooperative foundations of stable sets in voting games," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 70(2), pages 488-493, November.
- Vincent Anesi, 2009. "Noncooperative Foundations of Stable Sets in Voting Games," RCER Working Papers 551, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Vincent Anesi, 2007. "Noncooperative Foundations of Stable Sets in Voting Games," Discussion Papers 2007-09, The Centre for Decision Research and Experimental Economics, School of Economics, University of Nottingham.
- Stefan Maus, 2004. "Exchange economies with asymmetric information: competitive equilibrium and core," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 24(2), pages 395-418, August.
- Stefan Maus, 2003. "Balancedness and the core in economies with asymmetric information," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 22(3), pages 613-627, October.
- Lucas, William F., 1992. "Von Neumann-Morgenstern stable sets," Handbook of Game Theory with Economic Applications, in: R.J. Aumann & S. Hart (ed.), Handbook of Game Theory with Economic Applications, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 17, pages 543-590 Elsevier.
- Luciano Castro & Marialaura Pesce & Nicholas Yannelis, 2011.
"Core and equilibria under ambiguity,"
Springer, vol. 48(2), pages 519-548, October.
- José Faro, 2013.
"Cobb-Douglas preferences under uncertainty,"
Springer, vol. 54(2), pages 273-285, October.
- Hart, Sergiu, 1974. "Formation of cartels in large markets," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 7(4), pages 453-466, April.
- S. Muto & S. Ishihara & E. Fukuda & S. H. Tijs & R. Brânzei, 2006. "Generalized Cores And Stable Sets For Fuzzy Games," International Game Theory Review (IGTR), World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 8(01), pages 95-109.
- Beth Allen, 2006. "Market games with asymmetric information: the core," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 29(2), pages 465-487, October.
- Einy, Ezra & Shitovitz, Benyamin, 2003. "Symmetric von Neumann-Morgenstern stable sets in pure exchange economies," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 43(1), pages 28-43, April.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Lia Ambrosio).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.