Disentangling factors behind training partecipation in Italy
AbstractThis paper analyses the pattern of training participation in Italy. Employing a new survey conducted on a large sample of individuals, we develop a model of bilateral training choices. In order to distinguish between workers and employers choices, we estimate a structural bivariate probit model whose identification relies on some mild assumptions on sample selection. With this approach we attempt to overcome the informative limitations of training participation probability estimates referred to reduced form models. The training participation probability depends on individual, job-specific and firmâ€™s characteristics. Among the most relevant results, we find that females demand as much training as males and suffer from poorer chances of firm-provided training. Similarly, employees with a temporary contract are rationed even if their demand is in line with that of their permanent colleagues. Conversely, the lower participation of parttimers is explained by lower demand. A stance for more targeted training public policies is derived.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Rome La Sapienza, Department of Public Economics in its series Working Papers with number 101.
Date of creation: Oct 2007
Date of revision:
training choices; identification; bivariate probit.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- J24 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demand and Supply of Labor - - - Human Capital; Skills; Occupational Choice; Labor Productivity
- J08 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - General - - - Labor Economics Policies
- C35 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Discrete Regression and Qualitative Choice Models; Discrete Regressors; Proportions
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- repec:eme:rlepps:v:18:y:1999:i:1999:p:303-330 is not listed on IDEAS
- James Heckman, 2011.
"Policies to foster human capital,"
Higher School of Economics, issue 3, pages 73-137.
- James Heckman, 2000. "Policies to Foster Human Capital," Working Papers 0028, Harris School of Public Policy Studies, University of Chicago.
- James J. Heckman, 2000. "Policies to Foster Human Capital," JCPR Working Papers 154, Northwestern University/University of Chicago Joint Center for Poverty Research.
- James J. Heckman, 1999. "Policies to Foster Human Capital," NBER Working Papers 7288, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bassanini, Andrea & Booth, Alison L. & Brunello, Giorgio & De Paola, Maria & Leuven, Edwin, 2005. "Workplace Training in Europe," IZA Discussion Papers 1640, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Van de Ven, Wynand P. M. M. & Van Praag, Bernard M. S., 1981. "The demand for deductibles in private health insurance : A probit model with sample selection," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 229-252, November.
- repec:hal:wpaper:halshs-00194344 is not listed on IDEAS
- Edwin Leuven, 2005. "The Economics of Private Sector Training: A Survey of the Literature," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 19(1), pages 91-111, 02.
- Wiji Arulampalam & Alison L. Booth & Mark L. Bryan, 2004.
"Training in Europe,"
Journal of the European Economic Association,
MIT Press, vol. 2(2-3), pages 346-360, 04/05.
- Oosterbeek, Hessel, 1998. "Unravelling Supply and Demand Factors in Work-Related Training," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 50(2), pages 266-83, April.
- Boyes, William J. & Hoffman, Dennis L. & Low, Stuart A., 1989. "An econometric analysis of the bank credit scoring problem," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 40(1), pages 3-14, January.
- Andrea Bassanini & Wooseok Ok, 2004. "How do firms' and individuals' incentives to invest in human capital vary across groups?," CEPN Working Papers halshs-00194344, HAL.
- Gerards, Ruud & de Grip, Andries & Witlox, Maaike, 2012.
""Employability-Miles" and Worker Employability Awareness,"
IZA Discussion Papers
6818, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Ruud Gerards & Andries de Grip & Maaike Witlox, 2014. "'Employability-miles' and worker employability awareness," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 46(9), pages 952-965, March.
- Gerards Ruud & Grip Andries de & Witlox Maaike, 2012. "Employability-miles and worker employability awareness," ROA Research Memorandum 010, Maastricht University, Research Centre for Education and the Labour Market (ROA).
- Gerards Ruud & Grip Andries de & Witlox Maaike, 2012. "“Employability-miles” and worker employability awareness," Research Memorandum 043, Maastricht University, Maastricht Research School of Economics of Technology and Organization (METEOR).
- Montizaan Raymond & Cörvers Frank & Grip Andries de, 2009.
"The effects of pension rights and retirement age on training participation: Evidence from a natural experiment,"
044, Maastricht University, Maastricht Research School of Economics of Technology and Organization (METEOR).
- Montizaan, Raymond & Cörvers, Frank & De Grip, Andries, 2010. "The effects of pension rights and retirement age on training participation: Evidence from a natural experiment," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 240-247, January.
- Montizaan, Raymond & Cörvers, Frank & de Grip, Andries, 2009. "The Effects of Pension Rights and Retirement Age on Training Participation: Evidence from a Natural Experiment," IZA Discussion Papers 4462, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Montizaan Raymond & Cörvers Frank & Grip Andries de, 2009. "The effects of pension rights and retirement age on training participation: Evidence from a natural experiment," ROA Research Memorandum 012, Maastricht University, Research Centre for Education and the Labour Market (ROA).
- Guerrazzi, Marco, 2014. "Workforce ageing and the training propensity of Italian firms: cross-sectional evidence from the INDACO survey," MPRA Paper 56826, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Luisa Giuriato).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.