The effects of pension rights and retirement age on training participation: Evidence from a natural experiment
AbstractThis paper uses a natural experiment approach to identify the effects of an exogenous change in future pension benefits on workers' training participation. We use unique matched survey and administrative data for male employees in the Dutch public sector who were born in 1949 or 1950. Only the latter were subjected to a major pension reform that diminished their pension rights. We find that this exogenous shock to pension rights postpones expected retirement and increases participation in training courses among older employees, although exclusively for those employed in large organizations.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Labour Economics.
Volume (Year): 17 (2010)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/labeco
Natural experiment Retirement Training;
Other versions of this item:
- Montizaan Raymond & Cörvers Frank & Grip Andries de, 2009. "The effects of pension rights and retirement age on training participation: Evidence from a natural experiment," Research Memorandum 044, Maastricht University, Maastricht Research School of Economics of Technology and Organization (METEOR).
- Montizaan Raymond & Cörvers Frank & Grip Andries de, 2009. "The effects of pension rights and retirement age on training participation: Evidence from a natural experiment," ROA Research Memorandum 012, Maastricht University, Research Centre for Education and the Labour Market (ROA).
- Montizaan, Raymond & Cörvers, Frank & de Grip, Andries, 2009. "The Effects of Pension Rights and Retirement Age on Training Participation: Evidence from a Natural Experiment," IZA Discussion Papers 4462, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- J14 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demographic Economics - - - Economics of the Elderly; Economics of the Handicapped; Non-Labor Market Discrimination
- J24 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demand and Supply of Labor - - - Human Capital; Skills; Occupational Choice; Labor Productivity
- J26 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demand and Supply of Labor - - - Retirement; Retirement Policies
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Van de Ven, Wynand P. M. M. & Van Praag, Bernard M. S., 1981. "The demand for deductibles in private health insurance : A probit model with sample selection," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 229-252, November.
- Shields, Michael A. & Ward, Melanie, 2001.
"Improving nurse retention in the National Health Service in England: the impact of job satisfaction on intentions to quit,"
Journal of Health Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 20(5), pages 677-701, September.
- Shields, Michael & Ward-Warmedinger, Melanie, 2001. "Improving Nurse Retention in the National Health Service in England: The Impact of Job Satisfaction on Intentions to Quit," CEPR Discussion Papers 2806, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Yoram Ben-Porath, 1967. "The Production of Human Capital and the Life Cycle of Earnings," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 75, pages 352.
- Oosterbeek, Hessel, 1998. "Unravelling Supply and Demand Factors in Work-Related Training," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 50(2), pages 266-83, April.
- Edwin Leuven & Hessel Oosterbeek, 2008. "An alternative approach to estimate the wage returns to private-sector training," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 23(4), pages 423-434.
- Rob Euwals & Daniel Vuuren & Ronald Wolthoff, 2010.
"Early Retirement Behaviour in the Netherlands: Evidence From a Policy Reform,"
Springer, vol. 158(3), pages 209-236, September.
- Euwals, Rob & van Vuuren, Daniel & Wolthoff, Ronald, 2006. "Early Retirement Behaviour in the Netherlands - Evidence from a Policy Reform," CEPR Discussion Papers 5596, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Rob Euwals & Daniel J. van Vuuren & Ronald P. Wolthoff, 2006. "Early Retirement Behaviour in the Netherlands: Evidence from a Policy Reform," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 06-021/3, Tinbergen Institute.
- Rob Euwals & Daniel van Vuuren & Ronald Wolthoff, 2005. "Early retirement behaviour in the Netherlands; evidence from a policy reform," CPB Discussion Paper 52, CPB Netherlands Bureau for Economic Policy Analysis.
- Euwals, Rob & van Vuuren, Daniel & Wolthoff, Ronald P., 2006. "Early Retirement Behaviour in the Netherlands: Evidence from a Policy Reform," IZA Discussion Papers 1992, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Hahn, Jinyong & Todd, Petra & Van der Klaauw, Wilbert, 2001. "Identification and Estimation of Treatment Effects with a Regression-Discontinuity Design," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 69(1), pages 201-09, January.
- Didier Fouarge & Trudie Schils, 2009. "The Effect of Early Retirement Incentives on the Training Participation of Older Workers," LABOUR, CEIS, vol. 23(s1), pages 85-109, 03.
- Bassanini, Andrea & Booth, Alison L. & Brunello, Giorgio & De Paola, Maria & Leuven, Edwin, 2005. "Workplace Training in Europe," IZA Discussion Papers 1640, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Barron, John M & Black, Dan A & Loewenstein, Mark A, 1987. "Employer Size: The Implications for Search, Training, Capital Investment, Starting Wages, and Wage Growth," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 5(1), pages 76-89, January.
- repec:eme:rlepps:v:18:y:1999:i:1999:p:303-330 is not listed on IDEAS
- Elsa Pilichowski & Edouard Turkisch, 2008. "Employment in Government in the Perspective of the Production Costs of Goods and Services in the Public Domain," OECD Working Papers on Public Governance 8, OECD Publishing.
- Booth, Alison L, 1993. "Private Sector Training and Graduate Earnings," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 75(1), pages 164-70, February.
- Palacios, Robert & Whitehouse, Edward, 2006. "Civil-service pension schemes around the world," MPRA Paper 14796, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Kalemli-Ozcan, Sebnem & Ryder, Harl E. & Weil, David N., 2000. "Mortality decline, human capital investment, and economic growth," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 62(1), pages 1-23, June.
- Giuseppe Croce & Massimiliano Tancioni, 2007. "Disentangling factors behind training partecipation in Italy," Working Papers 101, University of Rome La Sapienza, Department of Public Economics.
- Seema Jayachandran & Adriana Lleras-Muney, 2008. "Life Expectancy and Human Capital Investments: Evidence From Maternal Mortality Declines," NBER Working Papers 13947, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- repec:dgr:uvatin:2006021 is not listed on IDEAS
- Picchio, M. & Ours, J.C. van, 2011.
"Retaining through Training; Even for OlderWorkers,"
2011-040, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- M. Picchio & J. C. Van Ours, 2011. "Retaining through Training Even for Older Workers," Working Papers of Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, Ghent University, Belgium 11/748, Ghent University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- Matteo PICCHIO & Jan C. van OURS, 2011. "Retaining through Training: Even for Older Workers," Discussion Papers (IRES - Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales) 2011017, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- Picchio, Matteo & van Ours, Jan C, 2011. "Retaining through training; even for older workers," CEPR Discussion Papers 8320, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Picchio, Matteo & van Ours, Jan C., 2011. "Retaining through Training: Even for Older Workers," IZA Discussion Papers 5591, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Sahlgren, Gabriel H., 2012. "Work ‘til You Drop: Short- and Longer-Term Health Effects of Retirement in Europe," Working Paper Series 928, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Pierre-Jean Messe & Bénédicte Rouland, 2012.
"Stricter employment protection and firms' incentives to train: The case of French older workers,"
- Pierre-Jean Messe & Benedicte Rouland, 2012. "Stricter employment protection and firms’ incentives to train: The case of French older workers," TEPP Working Paper 2012-04, TEPP.
- Messe, Pierre-Jean & Rouland, Bénédicte, 2012. "Stricter employment protection and firms’ incentives to sponsor training: The case of French older workers," CEPREMAP Working Papers (Docweb) 1206, CEPREMAP.
- Brunello, Giorgio & Comi, Simona, 2013. "The Side Effect of Pension Reforms on Training: Evidence from Italy," IZA Discussion Papers 7755, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.