Matching Efficiency and Labour Market Reform in Italy. A Macroeconometric Assessment
AbstractA matching theory approach is utilised to assess the impact on the Italian labour market of the 1997 legge Treu, which considerably eased the regulation of temporary work and favoured its growth in Italy. We re-parameterise the matching function as a Beveridge Curve and estimate it as a production frontier. We find huge differences in matching efficiency between the South and the rest of the country. The legge Treu appears to have reduced unemployment in the more developed regions of the country but did not greatly affect the matching efficiency of the regional labour markets.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by CELPE - Centre of Labour Economics and Economic Policy, University of Salerno, Italy in its series CELPE Discussion Papers with number 93.
Date of creation: May 2005
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: via Giovanni Paolo II, 132, 84084 - Fisciano (SA), ITALY
Phone: +39 089 962152 -
Fax: +39 089 962049
Web page: http://www.celpe.unisa.it
More information through EDIRC
temporary contracts; matching efficiency; regional disparities;
Other versions of this item:
- Sergio Destefanis & Raquel Fonseca, 2007. "Matching Efficiency and Labour Market Reform in Italy: A Macroeconometric Assessment," LABOUR, CEIS, CEIS, vol. 21(1), pages 57-84, 03.
- J64 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Mobility, Unemployment, Vacancies, and Immigrant Workers - - - Unemployment: Models, Duration, Incidence, and Job Search
- J69 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Mobility, Unemployment, Vacancies, and Immigrant Workers - - - Other
- C24 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Truncated and Censored Models; Switching Regression Models
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2005-07-18 (All new papers)
- NEP-EEC-2005-07-18 (European Economics)
- NEP-EFF-2005-07-18 (Efficiency & Productivity)
- NEP-LAB-2005-07-18 (Labour Economics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Carlo Di Giorgio & Massimo Giannini, 2012. "A comparison of the Beveridge curve dynamics in Italy and USA," Empirical Economics, Springer, Springer, vol. 43(3), pages 945-983, December.
- Sabine Klinger & Thomas Rothe, 2012. "The Impact of Labour Market Reforms and Economic Performance on the Matching of the Short‐term and the Long‐term Unemployed," Scottish Journal of Political Economy, Scottish Economic Society, Scottish Economic Society, vol. 59(1), pages 90-114, 02.
- Fahr, René & Sunde, Uwe, 2005.
"Regional Dependencies in Job Creation: An Efficiency Analysis for Western Germany,"
IZA Discussion Papers
1660, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Rene Fahr & Uwe Sunde, 2006. "Regional dependencies in job creation: an efficiency analysis for Western Germany," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 38(10), pages 1193-1206.
- Klinger, Sabine & Rothe, Thomas, 2010. "The impact of labour market reforms and economic performance on the matching of short-term and long-term unemployed," IAB Discussion Paper, Institut fÃ¼r Arbeitsmarkt- und Berufsforschung (IAB), NÃ¼rnberg [Institute for Employment Research, Nuremberg, Germany] 201013, Institut für Arbeitsmarkt- und Berufsforschung (IAB), Nürnberg [Institute for Employment Research, Nuremberg, Germany].
- Destefanis, Sergio & Mastromatteo, Giuseppe, 2010. "Wage Inequality and Labour-market Performance. A Role for Corporate Social Responsibility - Disuguaglianza salariale e performance del mercato del lavoro," Economia Internazionale / International Economics, Camera di Commercio di Genova, Camera di Commercio di Genova, vol. 63(1), pages 91-120.
- Destefanis, Sergio, 2014.
"Dualismo e declino nel territorio italiano. Il ruolo delle competenze
[Dualism and Decline across the Italian Economy. The Role of Skills]," MPRA Paper 55391, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Tomasz Jeruzalski & Joanna Tyrowicz, 2009.
"(In)Efficiency of Matching - the Case of a Post-transition Economy,"
Working Papers, Faculty of Economic Sciences, University of Warsaw
2009-10, Faculty of Economic Sciences, University of Warsaw.
- Joanna Tyrowicz & Tomasz Jeruzalski, 2013. "(In)Efficiency of matching: the case of a post-transition economy," Economic Change and Restructuring, Springer, Springer, vol. 46(2), pages 255-275, May.
- Jeruzalski, Tomasz & Tyrowicz, Joanna, 2009. "(In)Efficiency of Matching - The Case of A Post-transition Economy," MPRA Paper 16598, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Carlo Altavilla & Floro Ernesto Caroleo, 2013.
"Asymmetric Effects of National-based Active Labour Market Policies,"
Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 47(9), pages 1482-1506, October.
- Carlo Altavilla & Floro Ernesto Caroleo, 2011. "Asymmetric Effects of National-based Active Labour Market Policies," CSEF Working Papers, Centre for Studies in Economics and Finance (CSEF), University of Naples, Italy 293, Centre for Studies in Economics and Finance (CSEF), University of Naples, Italy.
- Iva Tomic, 2012. "The Efficiency of the Matching Process: Exploring the Impact of Regional Employment Offices in Croatia," Working Papers, The Institute of Economics, Zagreb 1204, The Institute of Economics, Zagreb.
- Yang Liu, 2011. "Labor market matching with heterogeneous job seekers in China," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 31(3), pages 1980-1992.
- Annalisa Lucarelli, 2011. "Vacancies and Hirings: Preliminary Evidence from a Survey on Italian Employers," Rivista di statistica ufficiale, ISTAT - Italian National Institute of Statistics - (Rome, ITALY), ISTAT - Italian National Institute of Statistics - (Rome, ITALY), vol. 13(2-3), pages 21-53.
- Cardullo, Gabriele & Guerrazzi, Marco, 2013. "The Cyclical Volatility of Equilibrium Unemployment and Vacancies: Evidence from Italy," MPRA Paper 51726, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Altavilla, Carlo & Caroleo, Floro Ernesto, 2009. "Unintended Effects of National-based Active Labour Market Policies," IZA Discussion Papers 4045, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- De Vita, Glauco & Livanos, Ilias & Salotti, Simone, 2014. "Involuntary non-standard employment: evidence from Italian regions," MPRA Paper 58117, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Jonathan Barr & Emma Clarence & Francesca Froy & Sergio Destefanis & Chris Warhurst, 2012. "Local Job Creation: How Employment and Training Agencies Can Help - The Labour Agency of the Autonomous Province of Trento, Italy," OECD Local Economic and Employment Development (LEED) Working Papers, OECD Publishing 2012/17, OECD Publishing.
- Marianna Belloc & Riccardo Tilli, 2013. "Unemployment by gender and gender catching-up: Empirical evidence from the Italian regions," Papers in Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 92(3), pages 481-494, 08.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Paolo Coccorese).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.