Partial De-Regulation: Fixed-Term Contracts in Italy and Spain
AbstractTo combat unemployment, in the 1980s most European countries began to de-regulate labour markets. In 1984, atypical contracts were introduced in Italy and Spain. Although the Italian and Spanish economies are widely comparable, and the labour market reforms introduced in the mid-1980s appear similar, the consequences of these reforms have been very different. The unprecedented growth of temporary contracts in the last ten years in Spain has given rise to an extensive theoretical and empirical literature. In Italy, however, the utilisation of atypical contracts has remained limited and much less investigated. This paper has two goals. First it analyses the characteristics of fixed-term contracts in Italy and Spain. Then it investigates the causes that made the Italian and Spanish experience with these contracts so different.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Centre for Economic Performance, LSE in its series CEP Discussion Papers with number dp0386.
Date of creation: Mar 1998
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://cep.lse.ac.uk/_new/publications/series.asp?prog=CEP
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Luca Nunziata & Stefano Staffolani, 2001.
"On Short-Term Contracts Regulations,"
Economics Series Working Papers
2001-W07, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Luca NUNZIATA & Stefano STAFFOLANI, 2001. "On Short-term Contracts Regulations," Working Papers 150, Universita' Politecnica delle Marche (I), Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche e Sociali.
- Luca Nunziata & Stefano Staffolani, 2001. "On Short-Term Contracts Regulations," Economics Papers 2001-W7, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Sergio Destefanis & Raquel Fonseca, 2006.
"Labour-Market Reforms and the Beveridge Curve. Some Macro Evidence for Italy,"
CSEF Working Papers
168, Centre for Studies in Economics and Finance (CSEF), University of Naples, Italy.
- Sergio Destefanis & Raquel Fonseca, 2006. "Labour-Market Reforms and the Beveridge Curve: Some Macro Evidence for Italy," Working Papers 436, RAND Corporation Publications Department.
- O Blanchard & A Landier, 2002. "The Perverse Effects of Partial Labour Market Reform: fixed--Term Contracts in France," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 112(480), pages F214-F244, June.
- Olivier Blanchard & Augustin Landier, 2001. "The Perverse Effects of Partial Labor Market Reform: Fixed Duration Contracts in France," NBER Working Papers 8219, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.