Regional Dependencies in Job Creation: An Efficiency Analysis for Western Germany
AbstractThis paper investigates the efficiency of the matching process between job seekers and vacancy posting firms in West-Germany, using variation across labor market regions and across time. The results of a stochastic frontier analysis shed new light on extent and regional differences of search frictions, on potential determinants of frictional inefficiencies and on the consequences of German reunification for the matching process. The paper also presents novel evidence on the complex interactions between spatial contingencies among regional labor markets: matching efficiency decreases with spatial autocorrelation in hiring, implying indirect evidence for crowding externalities.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA) in its series IZA Discussion Papers with number 1660.
Length: 34 pages
Date of creation: Jul 2005
Date of revision:
Publication status: published in: Applied Economics, 2006, 38 (10), 1193-1206
Contact details of provider:
Postal: IZA, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany
Phone: +49 228 3894 223
Fax: +49 228 3894 180
Web page: http://www.iza.org
Postal: IZA, Margard Ody, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany
Other versions of this item:
- Rene Fahr & Uwe Sunde, 2006. "Regional dependencies in job creation: an efficiency analysis for Western Germany," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 38(10), pages 1193-1206.
- J61 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Mobility, Unemployment, and Vacancies - - - Geographic Labor Mobility; Immigrant Workers
- J64 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Mobility, Unemployment, and Vacancies - - - Unemployment: Models, Duration, Incidence, and Job Search
- J21 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demand and Supply of Labor - - - Labor Force and Employment, Size, and Structure
- R12 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - General Regional Economics - - - Size and Spatial Distributions of Regional Economic Activity; Interregional Trade (economic geography)
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2005-07-18 (All new papers)
- NEP-EEC-2005-07-18 (European Economics)
- NEP-GEO-2005-07-18 (Economic Geography)
- NEP-LAB-2005-07-18 (Labour Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Christopher A. Pissarides & Barbara Petrongolo, 2001.
"Looking into the Black Box: A Survey of the Matching Function,"
Journal of Economic Literature,
American Economic Association, vol. 39(2), pages 390-431, June.
- Petrongolo, Barbara & Pissarides, Christopher, 2000. "Looking Into The Black Box: A Survey Of The Matching Function," CEPR Discussion Papers 2409, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Barbara Petrongolo & Christopher A. Pissarides, 2000. "Looking Into the Black Box: A Survey of the Matching Function," CEP Discussion Papers dp0470, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Sergio Destefanis & Raquel Fonseca, 2005.
"Matching Efficiency and Labour Market Reform in Italy. A Macroeconometric Assessment,"
CELPE Discussion Papers
93, CELPE (Centre of Labour Economics and Economic Policy), University of Salerno, Italy.
- Sergio Destefanis & Raquel Fonseca, 2007. "Matching Efficiency and Labour Market Reform in Italy: A Macroeconometric Assessment," LABOUR, CEIS, vol. 21(1), pages 57-84, 03.
- Simon Burgess & Stefan Profit, 2001.
"Externalities in the Matching of Workers and Firms in Britain,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp0490, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Burgess, Simon & Profit, Stefan, 2001. "Externalities in the matching of workers and firms in ritain," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 8(3), pages 313-333, June.
- Burgess, Simon & Profit, Stefan, 1998. "Externalities in the Matching of Workers and Firms in Britain," CEPR Discussion Papers 1854, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Pekka Ilmakunnas & Hanna Pesola, 2003. "Regional Labour Market Matching Functions and Efficiency Analysis," LABOUR, CEIS, vol. 17(3), pages 413-437, 09.
- Karagiannis, Giannis & Midmore, Peter & Tzouvelekas, Vangelis, 1999.
"Separating Technical Change From Time-Varying Technical Inefficiency In The Absence Of Distributional Assumptions,"
11842, Agecon Search.
- G. Karagiannis & P. Midmore & V. Tzouvelekas, 2002. "Separating Technical Change from Time-Varying Technical Inefficiency in the Absence of Distributional Assumptions," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 18(1), pages 23-38, July.
- René Fahr & Uwe Sunde, 2004. "Occupational job creation: patterns and implications," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 56(3), pages 407-435, July.
- Battese, G E & Coelli, T J, 1995. "A Model for Technical Inefficiency Effects in a Stochastic Frontier Production Function for Panel Data," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 20(2), pages 325-32.
- Gross, Dominique M., 1997. "Aggregate job matching and returns to scale in Germany," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 56(2), pages 243-248, October.
- Fahr, René & Sunde, Uwe, 2002. "Employment Status, Endogenous Regional Mobility, and Spatial Dependencies in Labor Markets," IZA Discussion Papers 521, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Broersma, Lourens & Van Ours, Jan C., 1999. "Job searchers, job matches and the elasticity of matching," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 77-93, March.
- Ours, J.C. van & Broersma, L., 1999. "Job searchers, job matches and the elasticity of matching," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-80319, Tilburg University.
- repec:dar:vpaper:24091 is not listed on IDEAS
- Ours, J.C. van & Gorter, C., 1994. "Matching Unemployment and Vacancies in Regional Labour Markets; an empirical analysis for the Netherlands," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-142169, Tilburg University.
- repec:ros:wpaper:102 is not listed on IDEAS
- Sergio Destefanis & Raquel Fonseca, 2006.
"Labour-Market Reforms and the Beveridge Curve: Some Macro Evidence for Italy,"
436, RAND Corporation Publications Department.
- Sergio Destefanis & Raquel Fonseca, 2006. "Labour-Market Reforms and the Beveridge Curve. Some Macro Evidence for Italy," CSEF Working Papers 168, Centre for Studies in Economics and Finance (CSEF), University of Naples, Italy.
- Jeruzalski, Tomasz & Tyrowicz, Joanna, 2009.
"(In)Efficiency of Matching - The Case of A Post-transition Economy,"
16598, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Joanna Tyrowicz & Tomasz Jeruzalski, 2013. "(In)Efficiency of matching: the case of a post-transition economy," Economic Change and Restructuring, Springer, vol. 46(2), pages 255-275, May.
- Tomasz Jeruzalski & Joanna Tyrowicz, 2009. "(In)Efficiency of Matching - the Case of a Post-transition Economy," Working Papers 2009-10, Faculty of Economic Sciences, University of Warsaw.
- Anis Bou Abid & Imed Drine, 2010.
"Efficiency Frontier and Matching Process on the Labour Market: Evidence from Tunisia,"
Working Paper Series
wp2010-123, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Abid, Anis Bou & Drine, Imed, 2011. "Efficiency frontier and matching process on the labour market: Evidence from Tunisia," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 28(3), pages 1131-1139, May.
- Drine, Imed & Bou Abid, Anis, 2010. "Efficiency frontier and matching process on the labor market: Evidence from Tunisia," MPRA Paper 21994, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Carlo Altavilla & Floro Ernesto Caroleo, 2011. "Asymmetric Effects of National-based Active Labour Market Policies," CSEF Working Papers 293, Centre for Studies in Economics and Finance (CSEF), University of Naples, Italy.
- Fitzenberger, Bernd & Furdas, Marina, 2012.
"Benchmarking regions: Estimating the counterfactual distribution of labor market outcomes,"
ZEW Discussion Papers
12-023, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Fitzenberger, Bernd & Furdas, Marina, 2012. "Benchmarking Regions: Estimating the Counterfactual Distribution of Labor Market Outcomes," IZA Discussion Papers 6465, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Hillmann, Katja, 2009. "Does the Hartz IV Reform have an Effect on Matching Efficiency in Germany? A Stochastic Frontier Approach," MPRA Paper 22295, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Gebel, Michael, 2006. "Monitoring und Benchmarking bei arbeitsmarktpolitischen Maßnahmen," ZEW Dokumentationen 06-01, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Reinhold Kosfeld, 2007. "Regional Spillovers and Spatial Heterogeneity in Matching Workers and Employers in Germany," Journal of Economics and Statistics (Jahrbuecher fuer Nationaloekonomie und Statistik), Justus-Liebig University Giessen, Department of Statistics and Economics, vol. 227(3), pages 236-253, June.
- Lottmann, Franziska, 2012. "Spatial dependencies in German matching functions," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(1-2), pages 27-41.
- Sanna-Mari Hynninen, 2009. "Matching in local labor markets: a stochastic frontier approach," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 31(1), pages 15-26, February.
- René Fahr & Uwe Sunde, 2009. "Did the Hartz Reforms Speed-Up the Matching Process? A Macro-Evaluation Using Empirical Matching Functions," German Economic Review, Verein für Socialpolitik, vol. 10, pages 284-316, 08.
- Jekaterina Dmitrijeva, 2008. "Matching and Labour Market Efficiency across Space and through EU accession: Evidence from Latvia, Estonia and Slovenia," Documents de recherche 08-05, Centre d'Études des Politiques Économiques (EPEE), Université d'Evry Val d'Essonne.
- Aki Kangasharju & Sanna-Mari Hynninen & Jaakko Pehkonen, 2006.
"Regional Matching Frictions and Aggregate Unemployment,"
383, Government Institute for Economic Research Finland (VATT).
- Sanna-Mari Hynninen & Aki Kangasharju & Jaakko Pehkonen, 2006. "Regional Matching Frictions and Aggregate Unemployment," ERSA conference papers ersa06p416, European Regional Science Association.
- Christian Holzner & Sonja Munz, 2011. "Should Local Public Employment Services be Merged with the Local Social Benefit Administrations?," CESifo Working Paper Series 3472, CESifo Group Munich.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Fallak).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.