Impact of South-South FDI and trade on the export upgrading of African economies
AbstractWe explore the impact of FDI and imports, disaggregated at the sectorial level, on the upgrading of African exports. We distinguish flows from other developing countries (South-South) and developed countries (North-South), and find that they impact differently on the ability of recipients to absorb the positive spillovers. Results support the view that South-South integration holds a strong potential for African economies. South-South FDI foster diversification of low-tech industries and raise the average quality of manufacturing exports, while importing from the South increases the ability to expand the variety of manufactured exports and to introduce more advanced goods in less-diversified economies.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by European University Institute in its series RSCAS Working Papers with number 2013/75.
Date of creation: Oct 2013
Date of revision:
South-South FDI; South-South trade; export diversification; export upgrading; Africa.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F14 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Empirical Studies of Trade
- F21 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business - - - International Investment; Long-Term Capital Movements
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mina Baliamoune-Lutz, 2011.
"Growth by Destination (Where You Export Matters): Trade with China and Growth in African Countries,"
African Development Review,
African Development Bank, vol. 23(2), pages 202-218.
- Mina Baliamoune-Lutz, 2010. "Growth by Destination (Where you Export Matters): Trade with China and Growth in African Countries," ICER Working Papers 22-2010, ICER - International Centre for Economic Research.
- Juan Carlos Hallak & Peter K. Schott, 2008.
"Estimating Cross-Country Differences in Product Quality,"
NBER Working Papers
13807, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Juan Carlos Hallak & Peter K. Schott, 2011. "Estimating Cross-Country Differences in Product Quality," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 126(1), pages 417-474.
- Olivier CADOT & Céline CARRERE & Vanessa STRAUSS-KHAN, 2009.
"Export Diversification: What’s behind the Hump?,"
- Olivier CADOT & Céline CARRERE & Vanessa STRAUSS-KHAN, 2007. "Export Diversification:What’s behind the Hump?," Working Papers 200724, CERDI.
- Olivier Cadot & Céline Carrere & Vanessa Strauss-Khan, 2011. "Export Diversification: What's behind the Hump?," Working Papers halshs-00553597, HAL.
- Cadot, Olivier & Carrère, Céline & Strauss-Kahn, Vanessa, 2010. "Export Diversification: What's behind the Hump?," CEPREMAP Working Papers (Docweb) 1011, CEPREMAP.
- Cadot, Olivier & Carrère, Céline & Strauss-Kahn, Vanessa, 2007. "Export Diversification: What’s behind the Hump?," CEPR Discussion Papers 6590, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Olivier Cadot & Céline Carrere & Vanessa Strauss-Khan, 2011. "Export Diversification:What's behind the Hump?," Working Papers halshs-00556999, HAL.
- Puga, Diego & Trefler, Daniel, 2010.
"Wake up and smell the ginseng: International trade and the rise of incremental innovation in low-wage countries,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 91(1), pages 64-76, January.
- Diego Puga & Daniel Trefler, 2007. "Wake up and Smell the Ginseng: International Trade and the Rise of Incremental Innovation in Low-Wage Countries," Development Working Papers 222, Centro Studi Luca d\'Agliano, University of Milano.
- Diego Puga & Daniel Trefler, 2009. "Wake up and smell the ginseng: International trade and the rise of incremental innovation in low-wage countries," Working Papers 2009-01, Instituto Madrileño de Estudios Avanzados (IMDEA) Ciencias Sociales.
- Torfinn Harding & Beata Javorcik, 2011. "FDI and Export Upgrading," Economics Series Working Papers 526, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Gene M. Grossman & Elhanan Helpman, 1991.
"Quality Ladders in the Theory of Growth,"
NBER Working Papers
3099, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Margaret S. McMillan & Dani Rodrik, 2011.
"Globalization, Structural Change and Productivity Growth,"
NBER Working Papers
17143, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- McMillan, Margaret & Rodrik, Dani, 2012. "Globalization, structural change, and productivity growth:," IFPRI discussion papers 1160, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Cabral, Manuel Heredia Caldeira & Veiga, Paula, 2010. "Determinants Of Export Diversification And Sophistication In Sub-Saharan Africa," FEUNL Working Paper Series wp550, Universidade Nova de Lisboa, Faculdade de Economia.
- Neil Foster-McGregor & Johannes Pöschl & Robert Stehrer, 2010.
"The Impact of Preferential Trade Agreements on the Margins of International Trade,"
wiiw Working Papers
70, The Vienna Institute for International Economic Studies, wiiw.
- Foster, Neil & Poeschl, Johannes & Stehrer, Robert, 2011. "The impact of Preferential Trade Agreements on the margins of international trade," Economic Systems, Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 84-97, March.
- Melitz, Marc J, 2002.
"The Impact of Trade on Intra-Industry Reallocations and Aggregate Industry Productivity,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3381, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Marc J. Melitz, 2003. "The Impact of Trade on Intra-Industry Reallocations and Aggregate Industry Productivity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 71(6), pages 1695-1725, November.
- Mark J. Melitz, 2002. "The Impact of Trade on Intra-Industry Reallocations and Aggregate Industry Productivity," NBER Working Papers 8881, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Montfort Mlachila & Misa Takebe, 2011. "FDI from BRICs to LICs: Emerging Growth Driver?," IMF Working Papers 11/178, International Monetary Fund.
- Dani Rodrik, 2008. "The Real Exchange Rate and Economic Growth," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 39(2 (Fall)), pages 365-439.
- Raphael Kaplinsky & Mike Morris, 2009. "Chinese FDI in Sub-Saharan Africa: Engaging with Large Dragons," The European Journal of Development Research, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 21(4), pages 551-569, September.
- Lipsey, Robert E. & Sjöholm, Fredrik, 2011.
"South-South FDI and Development in East Asia,"
Working Paper Series
885, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Crespo, Nuno & Fontoura, Maria Paula, 2007.
"Determinant Factors of FDI Spillovers - What Do We Really Know?,"
Elsevier, vol. 35(3), pages 410-425, March.
- Nuno Crespo & Maria Paula Fontoura, 2005. "Determinant Factors of FDI Spillovers – What Do We Really Know?," Working Papers Department of Economics 2005/06, ISEG - School of Economics and Management, Department of Economics, University of Lisbon.
- Sachs, Jeffrey D. & Warner, Andrew M., 1999. "The big push, natural resource booms and growth," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 59(1), pages 43-76, June.
- Kaplinsky, Raphael & Messner, Dirk, 2008. "Introduction: The Impact of Asian Drivers on the Developing World," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 36(2), pages 197-209, February.
- Ulimwengu, John M. & Badibanga, ThaddÃ©e, 2012.
"The sophistication and diversification of the African agricultural sector: A product space approach,"
IFPRI discussion papers
1156, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Badibanga, Thaddee Mutumba & Ulimwengu, John M., 2012. "The Sophistication and Diversification of the African Agricultural Sector: A Product Space Approach," 2012 Annual Meeting, August 12-14, 2012, Seattle, Washington 124498, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Dutt, Pushan & Mihov, Ilian & Van Zandt, Timothy, 2011. "Does WTO Matter for the Extensive and the Intensive Margins of Trade?," CEPR Discussion Papers 8293, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Bedassa Tadesse & Elias K. Shukralla, 2013. "The impact of foreign direct investment on horizontal export diversification: empirical evidence," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 45(2), pages 141-159, January.
- Maurice Schiff & Yanling Wang, 2006. "North-South and South-South trade-related technology diffusion: an industry-level analysis of direct and indirect effects," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 39(3), pages 831-844, August.
- Rashmi Banga, 2006. "The export-diversifying impact of Japanese and US foreign direct investments in the Indian manufacturing sector," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 37(4), pages 558-568, July.
- Ben Hammouda, Hakim & Karingi, Stephen & Njuguna, Angelica & Sadni Jallab, Mustapha, 2006. "Diversification: towards a new paradigm for Africa’s development," MPRA Paper 13359, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (RSCAS web unit).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.