South Africa'S Export Performance: Determinants Of Export Supply
AbstractThis paper presents both a comparative analysis of South Africa's export structure and performance and an econometric investigation of the determinants of export volumes. The paper finds that the improved growth and diversification of South African manufactured exports during the 1990s lag those of East Asia and a few other resource-based economies. This performance in part reflects relatively low world growth in resource-based products, but factors that affect the profitability of export supply, such as the real effective exchange rate, infrastructure costs, tariff rates and skilled labour, are also shown to be important. Export demand and the ability to compete in the export market on the basis of price are not found to be a major constraint to export growth. Copyright (c) 2006 The Authors. Journal compilation (c) 2006 Economic Society of South Africa.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Economic Society of South Africa in its journal South African Journal of Economics.
Volume (Year): 74 (2006)
Issue (Month): 3 (09)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: PO Box 929, 0001 Pretoria
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0038-2280
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Doyle, Matthew, 2002.
"Informational Externalities, Strategic Delay, and the Search for Optimal Policy,"
Staff General Research Papers
10046, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Matthew Doyle, 2010. "Informational externalities, strategic delay, and optimal investment subsidies," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 43(3), pages 941-966, August.
- Aksoy, M. Ataman & Ng, Francis, 2013. "Demand growth versus market share gains : decomposing world manufacturing import growth," Policy Research Working Paper Series 6375, The World Bank.
- Pearson, Joseph & Viviers, Wilma & Cuyvers, Ludo & Naudé, Wim, 2010. "Identifying export opportunities for South Africa in the southern engines: A DSM approach," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 19(4), pages 345-359, August.
- Andrew Mold and Annalisa Prizzon, 2010.
"Fragile States, Commodity Booms And Export Performance: An Analysis Of The Sub-Saharan African Case,"
RSCAS Working Papers
2010/21, European University Institute.
- Andrew Mold and Annalisa Prizzon, 2010. "Fragile States, Commodity Booms And Export Performance: An Analysis Of The Sub-Saharan African Case," EUI-RSCAS Working Papers 21, European University Institute (EUI), Robert Schuman Centre of Advanced Studies (RSCAS).
- Gries, Thomas & Naude, Wim & Matthee, Marianne, 2008.
"The Optimal Distance to Port for Exporting Firms,"
Working Paper Series
RP2008/32, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Aysan, Ahmet Faruk & Hacihasanoglu, Yavuz Selim, 2007.
"Investigation on the Determinants of Turkish Export-Boom in 2000s,"
5493, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Ahmet Faruk Aysan & Yavuz Selim Hacihasanoglu, 2007. "Investigation on the Determinants of Turkish Export-Boom in 2000s," Working Papers 2007/19, Bogazici University, Department of Economics.
- J. Paul Dunne & Lawrence Edwards, 2006. "Trade Technology and Employment: A case Study of South Africa," Working Papers 0602, Department of Accounting, Economics and Finance, Bristol Business School, University of the West of England, Bristol.
- Alessandro Nicita & Valentina Rollo, 2013. "Tariff Preferences As A Determinant For Exports From Sub-Saharan Africa," UNCTAD Blue Series Papers 60, United Nations Conference on Trade and Development.
- Aysan, Ahmet Faruk & Hacihasanoglu, Yavuz Selim, 2007. "The Competitiveness of Turkey with Respect to the Slovak Republic for the 1995-1999 Period," MPRA Paper 5496, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Bezuidenhout, Henri & Naude, Wim, 2008. "Foreign Direct Investment and Trade in the Southern African Development Community," Working Paper Series RP2008/88, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Edwards, Lawrence & Rankin, Neil A. & Schöer, Volker, 2008. "South African exporting firms: What do we know and what should we know?," MPRA Paper 16906, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Edwards, Lawrence & Balchin, Neil, 2008. "Trade related business climate and manufacturing export performance in Africa: A firm-level analysis," MPRA Paper 32863, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Wim Naudé & Riaan Rossouw, 2011. "Export diversification and economic performance: evidence from Brazil, China, India and South Africa," Economic Change and Restructuring, Springer, vol. 44(1), pages 99-134, April.
- Edwards, Lawrence J & Garlick, Robert, 2008. "Trade flows and the exchange rate in South Africa," MPRA Paper 36666, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Naude, Wim & Rossouw, Riaan, 2008. "Export Diversification and Specialization in South Africa: Extent and Impact," Working Paper Series RP2008/93, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Madani , Dorsati H. & Mas-Guix, Natalia, 2011. "The impact of export tax incentives on export performance : evidence from the automotive sector in South Africa," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5585, The World Bank.
- Lawrence Edwards & Robert Z. Lawrence, 2006. "South African Trade Policy Matters: Trade Performance and Trade Policy," NBER Working Papers 12760, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Menji, Sisay, 2010. "Export Performance and Determinants in Ethiopia," MPRA Paper 29427, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.