The export-diversifying impact of Japanese and US foreign direct investments in the Indian manufacturing sector
AbstractThe paper highlights the export-diversifying impact of foreign direct investment (FDI) in a developing country. FDI may lead to export diversification in the host country if it positively affects the export intensity of industries that have a low share in world exports. Indirectly, FDI may encourage export diversification through spillover effects: that is, the presence of FDI in an industry may increase the export intensity of domestic firms. The empirical results for the Indian economy in the post-liberalisation period show that FDI from the US has led to diversification of India's exports, both directly and indirectly. However, Japanese FDI has had no significant impact on India's exports. Journal of International Business Studies (2006) 37, 558–568. doi:10.1057/palgrave.jibs.8400207
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Palgrave Macmillan in its journal Journal of International Business Studies.
Volume (Year): 37 (2006)
Issue (Month): 4 (July)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.palgrave-journals.com/
Postal: Palgrave Macmillan Journals, Subscription Department, Houndmills, Basingstoke, Hampshire RG21 6XS, UK
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Amitendu Palit & Shounkie Nawani, 2010. "Technological Capability as a Determinant of FDI Inflows: Evidence from Developing Asia & India," Working Papers id:2714, eSocialSciences.
- Contractor, Farok J. & Kumar, Vikas & Kundu, Sumit K., 2007. "Nature of the relationship between international expansion and performance: The case of emerging market firms," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 42(4), pages 401-417, December.
- Arvind Virmani, 2011. "The Dynamics of Competition: Phasing of Domestic and External Liberalisation in India," Working Papers id:3556, eSocialSciences.
- Holger Görg & David Greenaway, 2004.
"Much Ado about Nothing? Do Domestic Firms Really Benefit from Foreign Direct Investment?,"
World Bank Research Observer,
World Bank Group, vol. 19(2), pages 171-197.
- Görg, Holger & Greenaway, David, 2003. "Much Ado About Nothing? Do Domestic Firms Really Benefit from Foreign Direct Investment?," IZA Discussion Papers 944, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Somnath Lahiri, 2011. "India-focused publications in leading international business journals," Asia Pacific Journal of Management, Springer, vol. 28(2), pages 427-447, June.
- Rashmi Banga, 2007. "Impact of Liberalisation on Wages and Employment in Indian Manufacturing Industries," Working Papers id:989, eSocialSciences.
- Alessia Amighini & Marco Sanfilippo, 2013. "Impact of South-South FDI and trade on the export upgrading of African economies," RSCAS Working Papers 2013/75, European University Institute.
- Chan Sok GEE & Mohd Zaini Abd KARIM, 2011. "Fdi´S Country Of Origin And Output Growth: The Case Of Malaysia?S Manufacturing Sector, 1991-2006," Applied Econometrics and International Development, Euro-American Association of Economic Development, vol. 11(1).
- Gursoy, Guner, 2009. "A strategic shift of automobile manufacturing firms in Turkey," MPRA Paper 20233, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Gu, Weishi & Awokuse, Titus O. & Yuan, Yan, 2008. "The Contribution of Foreign Direct Investment to China's Export Performance: Evidence from Disaggregated Sectors," 2008 Annual Meeting, July 27-29, 2008, Orlando, Florida 6453, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Amitendu Palit & Shounkie Nawani, 2007. "Technological Capability as a Determinant of FDI Inflows - Evidence from Developing Asia & India," Finance Working Papers 22236, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Elizabeth Gale).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.