Foreign Direct Investment and Export Upgrading
AbstractThis study presents evidence suggesting that attracting foreign direct investment (FDI) offers potential for raising the quality of exports in developing countries. Our analysis relates unit values of exports at the four-digit SITC level to data on sectors treated by investment promotion agencies as a priority in their efforts to attract FDI. The sample covers 105 countries from 1984 to 2000. The findings are consistent with a positive effect of FDI on unit values of exports in developing countries. The evidence for high-income economies is ambiguous. There is no indication that FDI increases the similarity of export structure of developing and developed economies. © 2012 The President and Fellows of Harvard College and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by MIT Press in its journal Review of Economics and Statistics.
Volume (Year): 94 (2012)
Issue (Month): 4 (November)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://mitpress.mit.edu/journals/
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F10 - International Economics - - Trade - - - General
- L52 - Industrial Organization - - Regulation and Industrial Policy - - - Industrial Policy; Sectoral Planning Methods
- F21 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business - - - International Investment; Long-Term Capital Movements
- F23 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business - - - Multinational Firms; International Business
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Blyde, Juan & Santamaria, Julieth, 2013. "The Performance of Plants Inserted in Global Supply Chains: A Look at Vertically-Linked Affiliates," MPRA Paper 45750, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Curzi, Daniele & Raimondi, Valentina & Olper, Alessandro, 2013.
"Quality Upgrading, Competition and Trade Policy: Evidence from the Agri-Food Sector,"
Proceedings Issues, 2013: Productivity and Its Impacts on Global Trade, June 2-4, 2013. Seville, Spain
152386, International Agricultural Trade Research Consortium.
- Curzi, Daniele & Raimondi, Valentina & Olper, Alessandro, 2013. "Quality Upgrading, Competition and Trade Policy: Evidence from the Agri-Food Sector," Proceedings Issues, 2013: Productivity and Its Impacts on Global Trade, June 2-4, 2013. Seville, Spain 152387, International Agricultural Trade Research Consortium.
- Harding, Torfinn & Venables, Anthony J, 2013.
"The implications of natural resource exports for non-resource trade,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
9318, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Torfinn Harding & Anthony J Venables, 2013. "The Implications of Natural Resource Exports for Non-Resource Trade," OxCarre Working Papers 103, Oxford Centre for the Analysis of Resource Rich Economies, University of Oxford.
- Farole, Thomas & Winkler, Deborah, 2012. "Foreign firm characteristics, absorptive capacity and the institutional framework : the role of mediating factors for FDI spillovers in low- and middle-income countries," Policy Research Working Paper Series 6265, The World Bank.
- Poncet, Sandra & Starosta de Waldemar, Felipe, 2013. "Export Upgrading and Growth: The Prerequisite of Domestic Embeddedness," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 51(C), pages 104-118.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Karie Kirkpatrick).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.