Does WTO Matter for the Extensive and the Intensive Margins of Trade?
AbstractWe use 6-digit bilateral trade data to document the effect of WTO/GATT membership on the extensive and intensive product margins of trade. We construct gravity equations for the two product margins where the specifications of these gravity equations are motivated by the model of Eaton and Kortum (2002). The data show that the puzzle of no significant impact of WTO membership on trade documented by Rose (2004) manifests itself differently at the product margins of trade. We show that the impact of the WTO is almost exclusively on the extensive product margin of trade, i.e. trade in goods that were not previously traded. In our preferred specification, WTO membership increases the extensive margin of exports by 31%. At the same time, WTO membership has a negligible or even a negative impact on the intensive margin (the volume of already-traded goods). Incidentally, we also document that standard gravity variables provide good explanatory power for bilateral trade on both margins.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers in its series CEPR Discussion Papers with number 8293.
Date of creation: Mar 2011
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Centre for Economic Policy Research, 77 Bastwick Street, London EC1V 3PZ.
Phone: 44 - 20 - 7183 8801
Fax: 44 - 20 - 7183 8820
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F02 - International Economics - - General - - - International Economic Order; Noneconomic International Organizations;; Economic Integration and Globalization: General
- F13 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Trade Policy; International Trade Organizations
- F15 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Economic Integration
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Elhanan Helpman & Marc Melitz & Yona Rubinstein, 2006. "Trading Partners and Trading Volumes," DEGIT Conference Papers c011_022, DEGIT, Dynamics, Economic Growth, and International Trade.
- Frankel, Jeffrey & Stein, Ernesto & Wei, Shang-jin, 1995. "Trading blocs and the Americas: The natural, the unnatural, and the super-natural," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 47(1), pages 61-95, June.
- Felbermayr, Gabriel, 2006.
"Exploring the Intensive and Extensive Margins of World Trade,"
Munich Reprints in Economics
20646, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Gabriel J. Felbermayr & Wilhelm Kohler, 2006. "Exploring the Intensive and Extensive Margins of World Trade," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 142(4), pages 642-674, December.
- Gabriel J. Felbermayr & Wilhelm Kohler, 2004. "Exploring the Intensive and Extensive Margins of World Trade," CESifo Working Paper Series 1276, CESifo Group Munich.
- Felbermayr, Gabriel & Kohler, Wilhelm K., 2006. "Exploring the intensive and extensive margins of world trade," Munich Reprints in Economics 20610, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Xuepeng Liu, 2009. "GATT/WTO Promotes Trade Strongly: Sample Selection and Model Specification," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 17(3), pages 428-446, 08.
- Thomas Chaney, 2008. "Distorted Gravity: The Intensive and Extensive Margins of International Trade," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 98(4), pages 1707-21, September.
- Pushan Dutt & Daniel Traca, 2010.
"Corruption and Bilateral Trade Flows: Extortion or Evasion?,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 92(4), pages 843-860, November.
- Pushan Dutt & Daniel Traca, . "Corruption and bilateral trade flows: extortion or evasion?," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/14172, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Ghosh, Sucharita & Yamarik, Steven, 2004. "Are regional trading arrangements trade creating?: An application of extreme bounds analysis," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 63(2), pages 369-395, July.
- Dick Nuwamanya Kamuganga, 2012. "What Drives Africa's Export Diversification?," IHEID Working Papers 15-2012, Economics Section, The Graduate Institute of International Studies.
- Scoppola, M. & Raimondi, V. & Olper, A., 2013. "The Impact of EU Trade Preferences on the Extensive and Intensive Agricultural and Food Product Margins," 2013 Annual Meeting, August 4-6, 2013, Washington, D.C. 151145, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Juyoung Cheong & Do Won Kwak & Kam Ki Tang, 2013. "WTO Trade Effects and Identification Problems: Why Knowing The Structural Properties of WTO Memberships Matters?," Discussion Papers Series 491, School of Economics, University of Queensland, Australia.
- Aleksandra Parteka & Massimo Tamberi, 2013.
"Product Diversification, Relative Specialisation And Economic Development: Import-Export Analysis,"
GUT FME Working Paper Series A
15, Faculty of Management and Economics, Gdansk University of Technology.
- Parteka, Aleksandra & Tamberi, Massimo, 2013. "Product diversification, relative specialisation and economic development: Import–export analysis," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 38(PA), pages 121-135.
- Aleksandra Parteka & Massimo Tamberi, 2012. "Relative Product Diversification in the Course of Economic Development: Import-Export Analysis," DEGIT Conference Papers c017_056, DEGIT, Dynamics, Economic Growth, and International Trade.
- Aleksandra PARTEKA & Massimo TAMBERI, 2012. "Relative product diversification in the course of economic development: import-export analysis," Departmental Working Papers 2012-23, Department of Economics, Management and Quantitative Methods at Università degli Studi di Milano.
- Persson, Maria & Wilhelmsson, Fredrik, 2013.
"EU Trade Preferences and Export Diversification,"
Working Paper Series
991, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Natalia Kapelko & Natalya Volchkova, 2013. "Export costs of visa restrictions," Working Papers w0195, Center for Economic and Financial Research (CEFIR).
- Ana Santacreu, 2012. "The Trade Comovement Puzzle and the Margins of International Trade," 2012 Meeting Papers 34, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Alessia Amighini & Marco Sanfilippo, 2013. "Impact of South-South FDI and trade on the export upgrading of African economies," RSCAS Working Papers 2013/75, European University Institute.
- Dan Ciuriak & Beverly Lapham & Robert Wolfe & Terry Collins-Williams & John M. Curtis, 2011. "New-New Trade Policy," Working Papers 1263, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.