Nations as Strategic Players in Global Commodity Markets: Evidence from World Coal Trade
AbstractWe explore the hypothesis that export policies and trade patterns of national players in the steam coal market are consistent with non-competitive market behavior. We test this hypothesis by developing an equilibrium model which is able to model coal producing nations as strategic players. We explicitly account for integrated seaborne trade and domestic markets. The global steam coal market is simulated under several imperfect market structure setups. We ﬁnd that trade and prices of a China - Indonesia duopoly ﬁt the real market outcome best and that real Chinese export quotas in 2008 were consistent with simulated exports under a Cournot-Nash strategy.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Energiewirtschaftliches Institut an der Universitaet zu Koeln in its series EWI Working Papers with number 2011-4.
Length: 29 pages
Date of creation: 01 Jun 2011
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Vogelsanger Str. 321, Alte Wagenfabrik, 50827 Köln
Phone: ++ 49 (0) 221 277 29 100
Fax: ++ 49 (0) 221 277 29 400
Web page: http://www.ewi.uni-koeln.de/
More information through EDIRC
Strategic National Trade; Imperfect Competition; Steam Coal; China; Indonesia;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C61 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Mathematical Methods; Programming Models; Mathematical and Simulation Modeling - - - Optimization Techniques; Programming Models; Dynamic Analysis
- F10 - International Economics - - Trade - - - General
- L13 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Oligopoly and Other Imperfect Markets
- L71 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Primary Products and Construction - - - Mining, Extraction, and Refining: Hydrocarbon Fuels
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-07-21 (All new papers)
- NEP-COM-2011-07-21 (Industrial Competition)
- NEP-ENE-2011-07-21 (Energy Economics)
- NEP-INT-2011-07-21 (International Trade)
- NEP-SEA-2011-07-21 (South East Asia)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Salant, Stephen W., 1982. "Imperfect competition in the international energy market: a computerized Nash-Cournot model," MPRA Paper 12021, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Paulus, Moritz & Trueby, Johannes, 2010. "Global steam coal supply costs in the face of Chinese infrastructure investment decisions," EWI Working Papers 2010-4, Energiewirtschaftliches Institut an der Universitaet zu Koeln.
- Harker, Patrick T., 1986. "The spatial price equilibrium problem with path variables," Socio-Economic Planning Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 20(5), pages 299-310.
- Eaton, Jonathan & Grossman, Gene M, 1986.
"Optimal Trade and Industrial Policy under Oligopoly,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 101(2), pages 383-406, May.
- Jonathan Eaton & Gene M. Grossman, 1983. "Optimal Trade and Industrial Policy Under Oligopoly," NBER Working Papers 1236, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Zesheng Sun & Xiangdong Xu, 2009. "Empirical study on Chinese coke export market power," Journal of Chinese Economic and Foreign Trade Studies, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 2(2), pages 131-141, April.
- Graham, Paul & Thorpe, Sally & Hogan, Lindsay, 1999. "Non-competitive market behaviour in the international coking coal market," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(3), pages 195-212, June.
- Lise, Wietze & Hobbs, Benjamin F., 2008. "Future evolution of the liberalised European gas market: Simulation results with a dynamic model," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 33(7), pages 989-1004.
- Reimer Jeffrey J & Stiegert Kyle, 2006. "Imperfect Competition and Strategic Trade Theory: Evidence for International Food and Agricultural Markets," Journal of Agricultural & Food Industrial Organization, De Gruyter, vol. 4(1), pages 1-27, September.
- Trueby, Johannes & Paulus, Moritz, 2010. "Have Prices of Internationally Traded Steam Coal been Marginal Cost Based?," EWI Working Papers 2010-5, Energiewirtschaftliches Institut an der Universitaet zu Koeln.
- Brander, James A. & Spencer, Barbara J., 1985.
"Export subsidies and international market share rivalry,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 18(1-2), pages 83-100, February.
- James A. Brander & Barbara J. Spencer, 1984. "Export Subsidies and International Market Share Rivalry," NBER Working Papers 1464, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Alston, Julian M. & Gray, Richard S., 2000. "State Trading Versus Export Subsidies: The Case Of Canadian Wheat," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 25(01), July.
- Ruud Egging & Franziska Holz & Steven A. Gabriel, 2009. "The World Gas Model: A Multi-Period Mixed Complementarity Model for the Global Natural Gas Market," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 959, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Kolstad, Charles D. & Abbey, David S., 1984. "The effect of market conduct on international steam coal trade," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 24(1), pages 39-59.
- Franziska Holz & Christian von Hirschhausen & Claudia Kemfert, 2006.
"A Strategic Model of European Gas Supply (GASMOD),"
Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin
551, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Clemens Haftendorn & Franziska Holz, 2010. "Modeling and Analysis of the International Steam Coal Trade," The Energy Journal, International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Number 4), pages 205-230.
- Fengxia Dong & Thomas L. Marsh & Kyle W. Stiegert, 2003.
"State Trading Enterprises in a Differentiated Environment: The Case of Global Malting Barley Markets,"
Food and Agricultural Policy Research Institute (FAPRI) Publications
03-wp350, Food and Agricultural Policy Research Institute (FAPRI) at Iowa State University.
- Fengxia Dong & Thomas L. Marsh & Kyle W. Stiegert, 2003. "State Trading Enterprises in a Differentiated Environment: The Case of Global Malting Barley Markets," Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) Publications 03-wp350, Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) at Iowa State University.
- Rolf Golombek & Eystein Gjelsvik & Knut Einar Rosendahl, 1995. "Effects of Liberalizing the Natural Gas Markets in Western Europe," The Energy Journal, International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Number 1), pages 85-112.
- Juan-Pablo Montero & Juan Ignacio Guzman, 2010. "OUTPUT-EXPANDING COLLUSION IN THE PRESENCE OF A COMPETITIVE FRINGE -super-* ," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 58(1), pages 106-126, 03.
- Dong, Fengxia & Marsh, Thomas L. & Stiegert, Kyle W., 2006.
"State Trading Enterprises in a Differentiated Product Environment: The Case of Global Malting Barley Markets,"
Staff General Research Papers
12357, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Fengxia Dong & Thomas L. Marsh & Kyle W. Stiegert, 2006. "State Trading Enterprises in a Differentiated Product Environment: The Case of Global Malting Barley Markets," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 88(1), pages 90-103.
- Yihsu Chen & Benjamin Hobbs & Sven Leyffer & Todd Munson, 2006. "Leader-Follower Equilibria for Electric Power and NO x Allowances Markets," Computational Management Science, Springer, vol. 3(4), pages 307-330, September.
- Johannes Truby and Moritz Paulus, 2012.
"Market Structure Scenarios in International Steam Coal Trade,"
The Energy Journal,
International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Number 3).
- Trueby, Johannes & Paulus, Moritz, 2011. "Market Structure Scenarios in International Steam Coal Trade," EWI Working Papers 2011-2, Energiewirtschaftliches Institut an der Universitaet zu Koeln.
- Steve McCorriston & Donald MacLaren, 2010. "Assessing the distortionary impact of state trading in China," Agricultural Economics, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 41(3-4), pages 329-335, 05.
- Felix Müsgens, 2006. "QUANTIFYING MARKET POWER IN THE GERMAN WHOLESALE ELECTRICITY MARKET USING A DYNAMIC MULTI-REGIONAL DISPATCH MODEL -super-* ," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 54(4), pages 471-498, December.
- Linda Warell, 2006. "Market Integration in the International Coal Industry: A Cointegration Approach," The Energy Journal, International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Number 1), pages 99-118.
- Yang, Chin W. & Hwang, Ming J. & Sohng, Soong N., 2002. "The Cournot competition in the spatial equilibrium model," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 24(2), pages 139-154, March.
- Paulus, Moritz, 2012. "How are investment decisions in the steam coal market affected by demand uncertainty and buyer-side market power?," EWI Working Papers 2012-3, Energiewirtschaftliches Institut an der Universitaet zu Koeln.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Monika Schmid).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.