Farm expansion in Lithuania after accession to the EU: The role of CAP payments in alleviating potential credit constraints
AbstractThe impact of the introduction of EU Single Area Payments (SAP) on farm expansion strategy in Lithuania is investigated, utilizing farm accounting and survey data. The introduction of the SAP has a positive influence on farmers’ intentions to expand their area compared to a baseline scenario of the hypothetical continuation of pre-accession policy. The switch in policy has a more pronounced effect on farms that were previously credit constrained. While the SAP has been presented as a support that is decoupled from production, its introduction may have ex post coupled effects, through an income multiplier effect on credit constrained farmers
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by INRA UMR SMART in its series Working Papers SMART - LERECO with number 200806.
Date of creation: 2008
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 4, Allée Adolphe Bobierre, CS 61103, 35011 Rennes Cedex
Web page: http://www.rennes.inra.fr/smart_eng/publications/working_papers
More information through EDIRC
Single Area Payments (SAP); Common Agricultural Policy (CAP); credit; investment; Lithuania;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- Q18 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Agricultural Policy; Food Policy
- Q14 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Agricultural Finance
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Pavel Ciaian & Johan F.M. Swinnen, 2006.
"Land Market Imperfections and Agricultural Policy Impacts in the New EU Member States: A Partial Equilibrium Analysis,"
American Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 88(4), pages 799-815.
- Pavel Ciaian & Johan Swinnen, 2005. "Land Market Imperfections and Agricultural Policy Impacts in the New EU Member States: A Partial Equilibrium Analysis," LICOS Discussion Papers 15805, LICOS - Centre for Institutions and Economic Performance, KU Leuven.
- Ralph Bierlen & Allen M. Featherstone, 1998. "Fundamental q, Cash Flow, and Investment: Evidence from Farm Panel Data," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 80(3), pages 427-435, August.
- Raiser, Martin & Schaffer, Mark & Schuchhardt, Johannes, 2004.
"Benchmarking structural change in transition,"
Structural Change and Economic Dynamics,
Elsevier, vol. 15(1), pages 47-81, March.
- Raiser, Martin & Schaffer, Mark E & Schuchhardt, Johannes, 2003. "Benchmarking Structural Change in Transition," CEPR Discussion Papers 3820, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Raiser, Martin & Schaffer, Mark & Schuchhardt, Johannes, 2003. "Benchmarking Structural Change in Transition," IZA Discussion Papers 727, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Martin Raiser & Mark Schaffer & Johannes Schuchhardt, 2003. "Benchmarking Structural Change in Transition," CERT Discussion Papers 0301, Centre for Economic Reform and Transformation, Heriot Watt University.
- Martin Raiser & Mark Schaffer & Johannes Schuchhardt, 2003. "Benchmarking structural change in transition," Working Papers 79, European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, Office of the Chief Economist.
- Bakucs, Lajos Zoltán & Ferto, Imre & Fogarasi, József, 2009. "Investment and financial constraints in Hungarian agriculture," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 104(3), pages 122-124, September.
- Steven Fazzari & R. Glenn Hubbard & Bruce C. Petersen, 1988.
"Financing Constraints and Corporate Investment,"
NBER Working Papers
2387, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Martin Petrick, 2004. "A microeconometric analysis of credit rationing in the Polish farm sector," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 31(1), pages 77-101, March.
- Catherine Benjamin & Euan Phimister, 2002. "Does Capital Market Structure Affect Farm Investment? A Comparison using French and British Farm-Level Panel Data," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 84(4), pages 1115-1129.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:5:y:2007:i:12:p:1-12 is not listed on IDEAS
- Laure Latruffe, 2005. "The Impact of Credit Market Imperfections on Farm Investment in Poland," Post-Communist Economies, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 17(3), pages 349-362.
- Aggarwal, Raj & Zong, Sijing, 2006. "The cash flow-investment relationship: International evidence of limited access to external finance," Journal of Multinational Financial Management, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 89-104, February.
- Fabio R. Chaddad & Michael L. Cook & Thomas Heckelei, 2005. "Testing for the Presence of Financial Constraints in US Agricultural Cooperatives: An Investment Behaviour Approach," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 56(3), pages 385-397.
- Ciaian, Pavel & Fa?kowski, Jan & d’Artis, Kanc & Pokrivcak, Jan, 2011. "Productivity and Credit Constraints: Firm-Level Evidence from Propensity Score Matching," Factor Markets Working Papers 99, Centre for European Policy Studies.
- Ciaian, Pavel & Falkowski, Jan & Kancs, d'Artis, 2010.
"Access to Credit, Factor Allocation and Farm Productivity: Evidence From the CEE Transition Economies,"
114th Seminar, April 15-16, 2010, Berlin, Germany
61347, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Pavel Ciaian & Jan Falkowski & d'Artis Kancs, 2012. "Access to credit, factor allocation and farm productivity: Evidence from the CEE transition economies," Agricultural Finance Review, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 72(1), pages 22-47, March.
- Jan Fałkowski & Pavel Ciaian & d'Artis Kancs, 2009. "Access to Credit, Factor Allocation and Farm Productivity: Evidence From the CEE Transition Economies," Working Papers 2009-12, Faculty of Economic Sciences, University of Warsaw.
- Marie-Line Duboz & Julie Le Gallo, 2011. "Are EU-15 and CEEC agricultural exports in competition? Evidence for 1995-2005," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 31(1), pages 134-146.
- Ferto, Imre & Bakucs, Lajos Zoltan & Bojnec, Stefan & Latruffe, Laure, 2011.
"Investment and Financial Constraints in European Agriculture: Evidence from France, Hungary and Slovenia,"
2011 International Congress, August 30-September 2, 2011, Zurich, Switzerland
114357, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Imre Ferto & Zoltan Bakucs & Stefan Bojnec & Laure Latruffe, 2012. "Investment and Financial Constraints in European Agriculture: Evidence from France, Hungary and Slovenia," IEHAS Discussion Papers 1213, Institute of Economics, Centre for Economic and Regional Studies, Hungarian Academy of Sciences.
- Sauer, Johannes & Davidova, Sophia & Latruffe, Laure, 2009. "Determinants of the Fallowing Decision in Kosovo," 83rd Annual Conference, March 30-April 1, 2009, Dublin, Ireland 51072, Agricultural Economics Society.
- Van Herck, Kristine & Vranken, Liesbet, 2012. "Direct Payments and Land Rents: Evidence from New Member States," 2012 Conference, August 18-24, 2012, Foz do Iguacu, Brazil 126777, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Conor O'Toole & Thia Hennessy, 2013. "Do decoupled payments affect investment financing constraints? Evidence from Irish agriculture," Trinity Economics Papers tep0113, Trinity College Dublin, Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Anne Chauvel).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.