Are EU-15 and CEEC agricultural exports in competition? Evidence for 1995-2005
AbstractThis paper analyses the extent of agricultural competition between EU-15 countries and CEECs during the period 1995–2005 in the light of future EU membership. Finger and Kreinin's index is computed with the BACI database provided by CEPII. The results indicate that Mediterranean countries (Greece, Italy and Spain) have little to fear from EU enlargement to Eastern Europe despite their low production costs. Competition proves to be greater for Northern European countries (Austria, Germany and France) whose exports are similar to those of the New Member States.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by AccessEcon in its journal Economics Bulletin.
Volume (Year): 31 (2011)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Competition; agricultural trade; enlargement;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- P2 - Economic Systems - - Socialist Systems and Transition Economies
- Q1 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gaulier, Guillaume & Zignago, Soledad, 2004.
"Notes on BACI (analytical database of international trade). 1989-2002 version,"
32401, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Guillaume Gaulier & Soledad Zignago, 2010. "BACI: International Trade Database at the Product-Level. The 1994-2007 Version," Working Papers 2010-23, CEPII research center.
- Laure Latruffe & Sophia Davidova & Elodie Douarin & Matthew Gorton, 2008. "Farm expansion in Lithuania after accession to the EU: The role of CAP payments in alleviating potential credit constraints," Working Papers SMART - LERECO 200806, INRA UMR SMART.
- Finger, J M & Kreinin, M E, 1979. "A Measure of 'Export Similarity' and Its Possible Uses," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 89(356), pages 905-12, December.
- Martijn J. Burger & Bert van der Knaap & Ronald S. Wall, 2012.
"Revealed Competition for Greenfield Investments between European Regions,"
Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers
12-063/3, Tinbergen Institute.
- Martijn J. Burger & Bert van der Knaap & Ronald S. Wall, 2013. "Revealed competition for greenfield investments between European regions," Journal of Economic Geography, Oxford University Press, vol. 13(4), pages 619-648, July.
- Martijn J. Burger & Bert van der Knaap & Ronald S. Wall, 2012. "Revealed Competition for Greenfield Investments between European Regions," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 12-063/3, Tinbergen Institute.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (John P. Conley).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.