Cohesion within the euro area and the U. S.: a wavelet-based view
AbstractThe assessment of synchronization of macroeconomic fluctuations across countries or regions has been crucial, for example, for the debate on economic integration. In this paper, we propose a multivariate measure of synchronization to assess cohesion across countries or regions by resorting to wavelet analysis. This wavelet-based measure of cohesion allows one to assess how synchronization has evolved over time and across frequencies simultaneously. In particular, we investigate the cohesion among euro area countries and the cohesion within the U.S. both at the regional and state levels over the last decades. In addition, an analysis at the sectoral level is also conducted. The results obtained unveil a noteworthy heterogeneity and highlight the usefulness of a wavelet-based measure of cohesion.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Banco de Portugal, Economics and Research Department in its series Working Papers with number w201204.
Date of creation: 2012
Date of revision:
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C40 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods: Special Topics - - - General
- E32 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - Business Fluctuations; Cycles
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-06-25 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:5:y:2002:i:4:p:1-9 is not listed on IDEAS
- Jakob de Haan & Robert Inklaar & Richard Jong-A-Pin, 2008.
"Will Business Cycles In The Euro Area Converge? A Critical Survey Of Empirical Research,"
Journal of Economic Surveys,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 22(2), pages 234-273, 04.
- Haan, Jakob de & Inklaar, Robert & Jong-A-Pin, Richard, 2005. "Will business cycles in the Euro Area converge : a critical survey of empirical research," CCSO Working Papers 200508, University of Groningen, CCSO Centre for Economic Research.
- Camacho, Maximo & Perez-Quiros, Gabriel & Saiz, Lorena, 2006.
"Are European business cycles close enough to be just one?,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 30(9-10), pages 1687-1706.
- Máximo Camacho & Gabriel Pérez-Quirós & Lorena Saiz, 2004. "Are european business cycles close enough to be just one?," Banco de Espaï¿½a Working Papers 0408, Banco de Espa�a.
- Maximo Camacho & Gabriel Perez-Quiros, 2004. "Are European business cycles close enough to be just one?," Computing in Economics and Finance 2004 16, Society for Computational Economics.
- Camacho, Maximo & Pérez-Quirós, Gabriel & Sáiz Matute, Lorena, 2005. "Are European Business Cycles Close Enough to be Just One?," CEPR Discussion Papers 4824, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- António Rua & Luís Catela Nunes, 2009.
"International comovement of stock market returns: a wavelet analysis,"
w200904, Banco de Portugal, Economics and Research Department.
- Rua, António & Nunes, Luís C., 2009. "International comovement of stock market returns: A wavelet analysis," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 16(4), pages 632-639, September.
- Patrick M. Crowley, 2007. "A Guide To Wavelets For Economists ," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 21(2), pages 207-267, 04.
- Fabien Tripier, 2002. "The Dynamic Correlation Between Growth and Unemployment," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 5(4), pages 1-9.
- Michael R. Pakko, 2004.
"A spectral analysis of the cross-country consumption correlation puzzle,"
2003-023, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Pakko, Michael R., 2004. "A spectral analysis of the cross-country consumption correlation puzzle," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 84(3), pages 341-347, September.
- António Rua & Luís Catela Nunes, 2003.
"Coincident and Leading Indicators for the Euro Area: A Frequency Band Approach,"
w200307, Banco de Portugal, Economics and Research Department.
- Rua, Antonio & Nunes, Luis C., 2005. "Coincident and leading indicators for the euro area: A frequency band approach," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 21(3), pages 503-523.
- Breitung, Jorg & Candelon, Bertrand, 2006.
"Testing for short- and long-run causality: A frequency-domain approach,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 132(2), pages 363-378, June.
- Breitung, Jörg & Candelon, Bertrand, 2006. "Testing for short- and long-run causality: a frequency-domain approach," Open Access publications from Maastricht University urn:nbn:nl:ui:27-19697, Maastricht University.
- Mauro Gallegati & Antonio Palestrini & Milena Petrini, 2008. "Cyclical Behavior Of Prices In The G7 Countries Through Wavelet Analysis," Advances in Complex Systems (ACS), World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 11(01), pages 119-130.
- Patrick M. Crowley & David G. Mayes, 2008. "How fused is the euro area core?: An evaluation of growth cycle co-movement and synchronization using wavelet analysis," OECD Journal: Journal of Business Cycle Measurement and Analysis, OECD Publishing,CIRET, vol. 2008(1), pages 63-95.
- Eickmeier, Sandra & Breitung, Jorg, 2006. "How synchronized are new EU member states with the euro area? Evidence from a structural factor model," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(3), pages 538-563, September.
- António Rua, 2012. "Wavelets in economics," Economic Bulletin and Financial Stability Report Articles, Banco de Portugal, Economics and Research Department.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (DEE-NTDD).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.