Measuring business cycles: A wavelet analysis of economic time series
AbstractMultiresolution wavelet analysis is a natural way to decompose an economic time series into trend, cycle, and noise. The method is illustrated with GDP data. The business-cycle component of the wavelet-filtered series closely resembles the series filtered by the approximate bandpass filter.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Economics Letters.
Volume (Year): 100 (2008)
Issue (Month): 2 (August)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/ecolet
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- James H. Stock & Mark W. Watson, 2002.
"Has the Business Cycle Changed and Why?,"
NBER Working Papers
9127, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Margaret McConnell & Gabriel Perez Quiros, 2000.
"Output fluctuations in the United States: what has changed since the early 1980s?,"
Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, issue Mar.
- Gabriel Perez-Quiros & Margaret M. McConnell, 2000. "Output Fluctuations in the United States: What Has Changed since the Early 1980's?," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 90(5), pages 1464-1476, December.
- Margaret M. McConnell & Gabriel Perez Quiros, 1998. "Output fluctuations in the United States: what has changed since the early 1980s?," Staff Reports 41, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Margaret M. McConnell & Gabriel Perez Quiros, 1997. "Output fluctuations in the United States: what has changed since the early 1980s?," Research Paper 9735, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Gazi Salah Uddin & Aviral Kumar Tiwari, 2013. "Measuring co-movement of oil price and exchange rate differential in Bangladesh," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 33(3), pages 1922-1930.
- Benhmad, François, 2013. "Dynamic cyclical comovements between oil prices and US GDP: A wavelet perspective," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 57(C), pages 141-151.
- António Rua, 2010.
"Measuring comovement in the time-frequency space,"
w201001, Banco de Portugal, Economics and Research Department.
- Joanna Bruzda, 2011. "Business cycle synchronization according to wavelets – the case of Poland and the euro zone member countries," Bank i Kredyt, National Bank of Poland, Economic Institute, vol. 42(3), pages 5-32.
- Chevallier, Julien, 2011.
"Wavelet packet transforms analysis applied to carbon prices,"
Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine
123456789/6515, Paris Dauphine University.
- Julien Chevallier, 2011. "Wavelet packet transforms analysis applied to carbon prices," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 31(2), pages 1731-1747.
- António Rua, 2010.
"A Wavelet Approach for Factor-Augmented Forecasting,"
w201007, Banco de Portugal, Economics and Research Department.
- António Rua, 2011. "A wavelet approach for factor‐augmented forecasting," Journal of Forecasting, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 30(7), pages 666-678, November.
- Rua, António & Nunes, Luis C., 2012.
"A wavelet-based assessment of market risk: The emerging markets case,"
The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 52(1), pages 84-92.
- António Rua & Luís Catela Nunes, 2012. "A wavelet-based assessment of market risk: The emerging markets case," Working Papers w201203, Banco de Portugal, Economics and Research Department.
- de Carvalho, Miguel & Rodrigues, Paulo C. & Rua, António, 2012.
"Tracking the US business cycle with a singular spectrum analysis,"
Elsevier, vol. 114(1), pages 32-35.
- Miguel de Carvalho & Paulo C. Rodrigues & António Rua, 2010. "Tracking the US Business Cycle With a Singular Spectrum Analysis," Working Papers w201009, Banco de Portugal, Economics and Research Department.
- Christophe Boucher & Bertrand Maillet, 2011.
"Une analyse temps-fréquences des cycles financiers,"
UniversitÃ© Paris1 PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers)
- Christophe Boucher & Bertrand Maillet, 2011. "Une analyse temps-fréquences des cycles financiers," Documents de travail du Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne 11003, Université Panthéon-Sorbonne (Paris 1), Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne.
- Cifter, Atilla & Yilmazer, Sait & Cifter, Elif, 2009. "Analysis of sectoral credit default cycle dependency with wavelet networks: Evidence from Turkey," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 26(6), pages 1382-1388, November.
- Caraiani, Petre, 2012. "Money and output: New evidence based on wavelet coherence," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 116(3), pages 547-550.
- Antonis A Michis, 2011. "Denoised least squars forecasting of GDP changes using indexes of consumer and business sentiment," IFC Bulletins chapters, in: Bank for International Settlements (ed.), Proceedings of the IFC Conference on "Initiatives to address data gaps revealed by the financial crisis", Basel, 25-26 August 2010, volume 34, pages 383-392 Bank for International Settlements.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.