Foreign subsidiaries and technology sourcing in Spain
AbstractFirms acquire external technological knowledge via different channels. In this paper we compare the technology sourcing via R&D outsourcing, R&D outsource offshoring, domestic cooperation for innovation and international cooperation for innovation of foreign subsidiaries and domestic firms. Because the different technology sourcing choices are potentially correlated we apply a multivariate probit specification which allows for systematic correlations among the different choices. The results show that the different technology sourcing choices are indeed interdependent and that foreign subsidiaries show a different pattern of external technology sourcing. Compared to affiliated domestic companies, foreign subsidiaries show a smaller propensity for external technology sourcing via R&D outsourcing from independent firms in the host country, for R&D outsource offshoring, and for international cooperation for innovation. In contrast, foreign subsidiaries show a greater propensity for domestic cooperation for innovation.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 42328.
Date of creation: 30 Oct 2012
Date of revision: Oct 2012
Multinational enterprise; foreign subsidiaries; R&D outsourcing; cooperation for innovation; multivariate probit model;
Other versions of this item:
- Adelheid Holl & Ruth Rama, 2014. "Foreign Subsidiaries and Technology Sourcing in Spain," Industry and Innovation, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 21(1), pages 43-64, January.
- F23 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business - - - Multinational Firms; International Business
- O32 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - Management of Technological Innovation and R&D
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-11-17 (All new papers)
- NEP-CSE-2012-11-17 (Economics of Strategic Management)
- NEP-INO-2012-11-17 (Innovation)
- NEP-SBM-2012-11-17 (Small Business Management)
- NEP-TID-2012-11-17 (Technology & Industrial Dynamics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Philip Cooke, 2005. "Rational drug design, the knowledge value chain and bioscience megacentres," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 29(3), pages 325-341, May.
- Beneito, Pilar, 2006. "The innovative performance of in-house and contracted R&D in terms of patents and utility models," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(4), pages 502-517, May.
- Miotti, Luis & Sachwald, Frederique, 2003. "Co-operative R&D: why and with whom?: An integrated framework of analysis," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 32(8), pages 1481-1499, September.
- John Hagedoorn & Rajneesh Narula, 1996. "Choosing Organizational Modes of Strategic Technology Partnering: International and Sectoral Differences," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 27(2), pages 265-284, June.
- Schmidt, Tobias, 2007. "Motives for Innovation Co-operation? Evidence from the Canadian Survey of Innovation," ZEW Discussion Papers 07-018, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Peter J Buckley & Mark C Casson, 1998. "Models of the Multinational Enterprise," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 29(1), pages 21-44, March.
- Peter Maskell & Torben Pedersen & Bent Petersen & Jens Dick-Nielsen, 2007.
"Learning Paths to Offshore Outsourcing: From Cost Reduction to Knowledge Seeking,"
Industry and Innovation,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(3), pages 239-257.
- Peter Maskell & Torben Pedersen & Bent Petersen & Jens Dick-Nielsen, 2005. "Learning Paths to Offshore Outsourcing - From Cost Reduction to Knowledge Seeking," DRUID Working Papers 05-17, DRUID, Copenhagen Business School, Department of Industrial Economics and Strategy/Aalborg University, Department of Business Studies.
- Lorenzo Cappellari & Stephen P. Jenkins, 2003.
"Multivariate probit regression using simulated maximum likelihood,"
StataCorp LP, vol. 3(3), pages 278-294, September.
- Lorenzo Cappellari & Stephen P. Jenkins, 2003. "Multivariate probit regression using simulated maximum likelihood," United Kingdom Stata Users' Group Meetings 2003 10, Stata Users Group.
- O. Carboni, 2010. "Heterogeneity in R&D Cooperation: An Empirical Investigation," Working Paper CRENoS 201029, Centre for North South Economic Research, University of Cagliari and Sassari, Sardinia.
- Lopez, Alberto, 2008. "Determinants of R&D cooperation: Evidence from Spanish manufacturing firms," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 113-136, January.
- James Love & Stephen Roper, 2009. "Organizing the Innovation Process: Complementarities in Innovation Networking," Industry and Innovation, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 16(3), pages 273-290.
- Ana Teresa Tavares & Stephen Young, 2006. "Sourcing patterns of foreign-owned multinational subsidiaries in Europe," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 40(6), pages 583-600.
- Laura Abramovsky & Rachel Griffith & Gareth Macartney & Helen Miller, 2008. "The location of innovative activity in Europe," IFS Working Papers W08/10, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Dachs, Bernhard & Ebersberger, Bernd & Lööf, Hans, 2007.
"The Innovative Performance of Foreign-owned Enterprises in Small Open Economies,"
Working Paper Series in Economics and Institutions of Innovation
87, Royal Institute of Technology, CESIS - Centre of Excellence for Science and Innovation Studies.
- Bernhard Dachs & Bernd Ebersberger & Hans Lööf, 2008. "The innovative performance of foreign-owned enterprises in small open economies," The Journal of Technology Transfer, Springer, vol. 33(4), pages 393-406, August.
- Peter Teirlinck & Michel Dumont & André Spithoven, 2010. "Corporate decision-making in R&D outsourcing and the impact on internal R&D employment intensity," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 19(6), pages 1741-1768, December.
- M. S. Gertler & Y. M. Levitte, 2005. "Local Nodes in Global Networks: The Geography of Knowledge Flows in Biotechnology Innovation," Industry and Innovation, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 12(4), pages 487-507.
- Sverre J Herstad & Carter Bloch & Bernd Ebersberger & Els van de Velde, 2010. "National innovation policy and global open innovation: exploring balances, tradeoffs and complementarities," Science and Public Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 37(2), pages 113-124, March.
- Bernhard Dachs & Bernd Ebersberger, 2009. "Does foreign ownership matter for the innovative activities of enterprises?," International Economics and Economic Policy, Springer, vol. 6(1), pages 41-57, June.
- Veugelers, Reinhilde & Cassiman, Bruno, 2004.
"Foreign subsidiaries as a channel of international technology diffusion: Some direct firm level evidence from Belgium,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 48(2), pages 455-476, April.
- Cassiman, Bruno & Veugelers, Reinhilde, 2001. "Foreign subsidiaries as channel of international technology diffusion. Some direct firm level evidence from Belgium," IESE Research Papers D/441, IESE Business School.
- Jan Fagerberg & Manuel Godinho, 2003. "Innovation and catching-up," Working Papers 24, Centre for Technology, Innovation and Culture, University of Oslo.
- Hyunbae Chun & Sung-Bae Mun, 2012.
"Determinants of R&D Cooperation in Small and Medium-Sized Enterprises,"
1204, Research Institute for Market Economy, Sogang University.
- Hyunbae Chun & Sung-Bae Mun, 2012. "Determinants of R&D cooperation in small and medium-sized enterprises," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 39(2), pages 419-436, September.
- Martin Srholec, 2009. "Does foreign ownership facilitate cooperation on innovation? Firm-level evidence from the enlarged European Union," The European Journal of Development Research, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 21(1), pages 47-62, February.
- Schmiedeberg, Claudia, 2008. "Complementarities of innovation activities: An empirical analysis of the German manufacturing sector," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(9), pages 1492-1503, October.
- Nachum, Lilach & Keeble, David, 2003. "MNE linkages and localised clusters: foreign and indigenous firms in the media cluster of Central London," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 9(2), pages 171-192.
- Boehe, Dirk Michael, 2007. "Product development in MNC subsidiaries: Local linkages and global interdependencies," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 488-512, December.
- Philip McCann & Ram Mudambi, 2004. "The Location Behavior of the Multinational Enterprise: Some Analytical Issues," Growth and Change, Gatton College of Business and Economics, University of Kentucky, vol. 35(4), pages 491-524.
- Jaider Vega-Jurado & Antonio Gutiérrez-Gracia & Ignacio Fernández-de-Lucio, 2009. "Does external knowledge sourcing matter for innovation? Evidence from the Spanish manufacturing industry," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 18(4), pages 637-670, August.
- Marco Bellandi, 2001. "Local development and embedded large firms," Entrepreneurship & Regional Development, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 13(3), pages 189-210, July.
- Hans Lööf, 2009. "Multinational enterprises and innovation: firm level evidence on spillover via R&D collaboration," Journal of Evolutionary Economics, Springer, vol. 19(1), pages 41-71, February.
- Martin Srholec, 2011. "Understanding the heterogeneity of cooperation on innovation: Firm-level evidence from Europe," Working Papers on Innovation Studies 20111201, Centre for Technology, Innovation and Culture, University of Oslo.
- Veugelers, Reinhilde & Cassiman, Bruno, 1999. "Make and buy in innovation strategies: evidence from Belgian manufacturing firms," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 28(1), pages 63-80, January.
- Franz T�dtling & Markus Grillitsch & Christoph H�glinger, 2012. "Knowledge Sourcing and Innovation in Austrian ICT Companies—How Does Geography Matter?," Industry and Innovation, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 19(4), pages 327-348, May.
- Pfaffermayr, Michael & Bellak, Christian, 2000. "Why foreign-owned firms are different : a conceptual framework and empirical evidence for Austria," HWWA Discussion Papers 115, Hamburg Institute of International Economics (HWWA).
- Fl�vio Lenz-Cesar & Almas Heshmati, 2012. "An econometric approach to identify determinants of cooperation for innovation among firms," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 19(3), pages 227-235, February.
- Adelheid Holl & Rafael Pardo & Ruth Rama, 2011. "Comparing Outsourcing Patterns in Domestic and FDI Manufacturing Plants: Empirical Evidence from Spain," European Planning Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 20(8), pages 1335-1357, March.
- María García‐Vega & Elena Huergo, 2011. "Determinants of International R&D Outsourcing: The Role of Trade," Review of Development Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 15(1), pages 93-107, 02.
- Belderbos, Rene & Capannelli, Giovanni & Fukao, Kyoji, 2001. "Backward Vertical Linkages of Foreign Manufacturing Affiliates: Evidence from Japanese Multinationals," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 189-208, January.
- Liza Jabbour & Maria Pluvia Zuniga, . "Drivers of the Offshore Outsourcing of R&D: Empirical Evidence from French Manufacturers," Discussion Papers 09/04, University of Nottingham, GEP.
- Pilar Beneito, 2002. "Technological patterns among Spanish manufacturing firms," Entrepreneurship & Regional Development, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(2), pages 89-115, July.
- Segarra-Blasco, Agusti & Arauzo-Carod, Josep-Maria, 2008. "Sources of innovation and industry-university interaction: Evidence from Spanish firms," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(8), pages 1283-1295, September.
- Emilie-Pauline Gallie & Pascale Roux, 2010. "Forms and Determinants of R&D Collaborations: Evidence Based on French Data," Industry and Innovation, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 17(6), pages 551-576.
- Guimón, José & Salazar, Juan Carlos, 2014. "Collaboration in innovation between foreign subsidiaries and local universities: evidence from Spain," CIRCLE Electronic Working Papers 2014/5, Lund University, CIRCLE - Center for Innovation, Research and Competences in the Learning Economy.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.