Does external knowledge sourcing matter for innovation? Evidence from the Spanish manufacturing industry
AbstractThis article presents empirical evidence on the effects of external knowledge-sourcing strategies on the development of both product and process innovations, and assesses the degree to which such effects are influenced by the firm's internal technological capacities. In our analysis, we consider two strategies for acquiring external knowledge (buying and cooperating) and two types of external sources (industrial agents and scientific agents). The analysis is based on a sample of 1329 manufacturing firms active in innovation activities taken from the Spanish Survey of Technological Innovation 2004. We find that the effects of the knowledge-sourcing strategies differ significantly across innovation types (product or process innovation). In addition, our results indicate that although internal R&D activities are associated with a greater use of external scientific knowledge sources (through cooperation), they do not seem to promote their exploitation for innovation development, that is, to say, they do not have synergistic effects. Copyright 2009 The Author 2009. Published by Oxford University Press on behalf of Associazione ICC. All rights reserved., Oxford University Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Oxford University Press in its journal Industrial and Corporate Change.
Volume (Year): 18 (2009)
Issue (Month): 4 (August)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Oxford University Press, Great Clarendon Street, Oxford OX2 6DP, UK
Fax: 01865 267 985
Web page: http://icc.oupjournals.org/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Andr�s Barge-Gil, 2013.
"Open Strategies and Innovation Performance,"
Industry and Innovation,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 20(7), pages 585-610, October.
- Holl, Adelheid & Rama, Ruth, 2012.
"Foreign subsidiaries and technology sourcing in Spain,"
42328, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised Oct 2012.
- Adelheid Holl & Ruth Rama, 2014. "Foreign Subsidiaries and Technology Sourcing in Spain," Industry and Innovation, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 21(1), pages 43-64, January.
- Han, Sang Yun & Bae, Sung Joo, 2014. "Internalization of R&D outsourcing: An empirical study," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 150(C), pages 58-73.
- Luisa Carvalho & Teresa Costa & Jorge Caiado, 2012.
"Determinants of innovation in a small open economy: A multidimensional perspective,"
CEMAPRE Working Papers
1201, Centre for Applied Mathematics and Economics (CEMAPRE), School of Economics and Management (ISEG), Technical University of Lisbon.
- Lu�sa Carvalho & Teresa Costa & Jorge Caiado, 2013. "Determinants of innovation in a small open economy: a multidimensional perspective," Journal of Business Economics and Management, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(3), pages 583-600, June.
- Stefania Vitali & Gabriele Tedeschi & Mauro Gallegati, 2013.
"The impact of classes of innovators on technology, financial fragility, and economic growth,"
Industrial and Corporate Change,
Oxford University Press, vol. 22(4), pages 1069-1091, August.
- Stefania VITALI & Gabriele TEDESCHI, 2011. "The impact of classes of innovators on Technology, Financial Fragility and Economic Growth," Working Papers 370, Universita' Politecnica delle Marche (I), Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche e Sociali.
- Nambisan, Satish, 2013. "Industry technical committees, technological distance, and innovation performance," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 42(4), pages 928-940.
- Vivas-Augier, Carlos & Barge-Gil, Andrés, 2012. "Impact on firms of the use of knowledge providers: a systematic review of the literature," MPRA Paper 41042, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Trigo, Alexandre & Vence, Xavier, 2012. "Scope and patterns of innovation cooperation in Spanish service enterprises," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 41(3), pages 602-613.
- Kontolaimou, Alexandra & Kounetas, Konstantinos & Mourtos, Ioannis & Tsekouras, Kostas, 2012. "Technology gaps in European banking: Put the blame on inputs or outputs?," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 29(5), pages 1798-1808.
- Tsai-Ju Liao & Chwo-Ming Yu, 2013. "The impact of local linkages, international linkages, and absorptive capacity on innovation for foreign firms operating in an emerging economy," The Journal of Technology Transfer, Springer, vol. 38(6), pages 809-827, December.
- Alessandra Perri & Raffaele Oriani & Francesco Rullani, 2012. "Does Co-Location Accelerate Knowledge Outflows from FDI? The Role of MNC Subsidiaries' Technology Sourcing Strategies," DRUID Working Papers 12-09, DRUID, Copenhagen Business School, Department of Industrial Economics and Strategy/Aalborg University, Department of Business Studies.
- Joaquín Azagra-Caro & Rafael Pardo & Ruth Rama, 2014. "Not searching, but finding: how innovation shapes perceptions about universities and public research organisations," The Journal of Technology Transfer, Springer, vol. 39(3), pages 454-471, June.
- De Marchi, Valentina, 2012.
"Environmental innovation and R&D cooperation: Empirical evidence from Spanish manufacturing firms,"
Elsevier, vol. 41(3), pages 614-623.
- Valentina De Marchi, 2010. "Cooperation Toward Environmental Innovation: an Empirical Investigation," "Marco Fanno" Working Papers 0119, Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche "Marco Fanno".
- Martin Falk, 2014. "Corporate patents and knowledge sourcing from universities," Empirica, Springer, vol. 41(1), pages 83-100, February.
- Alessandra Perri & Raffaele Oriani & Francesco Rullani, 2013. "Knowledge breadth of MNC subsidiaries and the duration of host-country firms' search," Working Papers 7, Department of Management, Università Ca' Foscari Venezia.
- Antonelli Cristiano & Fassio Claudio, 2011. "The Role of External Knowledge in the Introduction of Product and Process Innovations," Department of Economics and Statistics Cognetti de Martiis LEI & BRICK - Laboratory of Economics of Innovation "Franco Momigliano", Bureau of Research in Innovation, Complexity and Knowledge, Collegio 201101, University of Turin.
- Hagedoorn, John & Wang, Ning, 2012. "Is there complementarity or substitutability between internal and external R&D strategies?," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 41(6), pages 1072-1083.
- Jiang, Ling (Alice) & Waller, David S. & Cai, Shaohan, 2013. "Does ownership type matter for innovation? Evidence from China," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 66(12), pages 2473-2478.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.