MNE linkages and localised clusters: foreign and indigenous firms in the media cluster of Central London
AbstractThis study examines the operations of multinational enterprises (MNEs) in clusters in an effort to gain insight into the impact of cluster participation on the organisation of international activities and the generation of competitive advantages. Drawing upon the theories of international business and management, in combination with lessons from clustering and networking theories, the study examines the linkages of foreign affiliates in the media cluster of Central London, using indigenous firms in this cluster as the yardstick for comparison. This examination suggests that the major factor affecting the advantages accruing to MNEs from cluster participation is the extent to which internal linkages within MNEs substitute for local cluster linkages.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of International Management.
Volume (Year): 9 (2003)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/601266/description#description
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Aksoy, Asu & Robins, Kevin, 1992. "Hollywood for the 21st Century: Global Competition for Critical Mass in Image Markets," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 16(1), pages 1-22, March.
- Subramanian Rangan, 2000. "Search and Deliberation in International Exchange: Microfoundations to Some Macro Patterns," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 31(2), pages 205-222, June.
- Julian Birkinshaw & Neil Hood, 2000. "Characteristics of Foreign Subsidiaries in Industry Clusters," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 31(1), pages 141-154, March.
- Wheeler, David & Mody, Ashoka, 1992. "International investment location decisions : The case of U.S. firms," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(1-2), pages 57-76, August.
- Dupuy, Claude & Gilly, Jean-Pierre, 1999. "Industrial Groups and Territories: The Case of Matra-Marconi-Space in Toulouse," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 23(2), pages 207-23, March.
- Bruce Kogut & Udo Zander, 1993. "Knowledge of the Firm and the Evolutionary Theory of the Multinational Corporation," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 24(4), pages 625-645, December.
- J Myles Shaver, 1998. "Do Foreign-Owned and U.S.-Owned Establishments Exhibit the Same Location Pattern in U.S. Manufacturing Industries?," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 29(3), pages 469-492, September.
- Keith Head & John Ries & Deborah Swenson, 1994.
"Agglomeration Benefits and Location Choice: Evidence from Japanese Manufacturing Investment in the United States,"
NBER Working Papers
4767, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Head, Keith & Ries, John & Swenson, Deborah, 1995. "Agglomeration benefits and location choice: Evidence from Japanese manufacturing investments in the United States," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 38(3-4), pages 223-247, May.
- Allen Scott, 2002. "A new map of Hollywood: the production and distribution of American motion pictures," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 36(9), pages 957-975.
- C Dupuy & J P Gilly, 1996. "Collective learning and territorial dynamics: a new approach to the relations between industrial groups and territories," Environment and Planning A, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 28(9), pages 1603-1616, September.
- Luo, Yadong & Shenkar, Oded & Nyaw, Mee-Kau, 2002. "Mitigating liabilities of foreignness: Defensive versus offensive approaches," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 8(3), pages 283-300.
- Sergio Mariotti & Lucia Piscitello, 1995. "Information Costs and Location of FDIs within the Host Country: Empirical Evidence from Italy," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 26(4), pages 815-841, December.
- Metaxas, Theodore & Kallioras, Dimitris, 2013. "Small and medium-sized firms' competitiveness and territorial characteristics/assets: The cases of Bari, Varna and Thessaloniki," MPRA Paper 52446, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Metaxas, Theodore & Economou, Athina, 2012. "Assessing the determinants of Firms’ Competitiveness in Greece: A Structural Equation Modeling Analysis," MPRA Paper 42794, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Holl, Adelheid & Rama, Ruth, 2012.
"Foreign subsidiaries and technology sourcing in Spain,"
42328, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised Oct 2012.
- Adelheid Holl & Ruth Rama, 2014. "Foreign Subsidiaries and Technology Sourcing in Spain," Industry and Innovation, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 21(1), pages 43-64, January.
- Theodore Metaxas, 2012. "Urban Advantages and Disadvantages in Southeastern Europe: An Appreciation of Industrial Firms by Using Exploratory Factor Analysis," European Research Studies Journal, European Research Studies Journal, vol. 0(2), pages 81-104.
- Ariel Mendez & Delphine Mercier, 2007. "Territorial Dynamics and History Imprint : Two french Clusters in Transition in the South East Region," Working Papers halshs-00360764, HAL.
- Boojihawon, Dev Kumar & Dimitratos, Pavlos & Young, Stephen, 2007. "Characteristics and influences of multinational subsidiary entrepreneurial culture: The case of the advertising sector," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 16(5), pages 549-572, October.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.