Assessing the determinants of Firms’ Competitiveness in Greece: A Structural Equation Modeling Analysis
AbstractThe paper investigates the importance of territorial characteristics/assets (i.e. agglomeration economies, urban infrastructure, factors of labor and cost, development policies, qualitative factors, inter alia) on small- and medium-sized firms’ competitiveness. The analysis uses primary data from 204 small- and medium-sized firms located in Thessaloniki (Greece). These firms operate in the sectors of industry, commerce and services. Through the use of Structural Equation Modeling (SEM) analysis, the importance of particular factors for the competitiveness of firms has been analyzed, coming out in valuable conclusions not only for the firms and the city of Thessaloniki considered but also for firms and areas with similar characteristics in Greece and the wider area of Balkans.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 42794.
Date of creation: 2012
Date of revision:
firms’ competitiveness; territorial characteristics/assets; Structural Equation Modeling (SEM) analysis; Greece;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- R50 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - Regional Government Analysis - - - General
- O18 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Urban, Rural, Regional, and Transportation Analysis; Housing; Infrastructure
- R11 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - General Regional Economics - - - Regional Economic Activity: Growth, Development, Environmental Issues, and Changes
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-12-10 (All new papers)
- NEP-BEC-2012-12-10 (Business Economics)
- NEP-CSE-2012-12-10 (Economics of Strategic Management)
- NEP-GEO-2012-12-10 (Economic Geography)
- NEP-SBM-2012-12-10 (Small Business Management)
- NEP-URE-2012-12-10 (Urban & Real Estate Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Olga Alonso-Villar, 2002. "Urban agglomeration: Knowledge spillovers and product diversity," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 36(4), pages 551-573.
- Wei-ping Wu, 2008. "Dimensions of Social Capital and Firm Competitiveness Improvement: The Mediating Role of Information Sharing," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 45(1), pages 122-146, 01.
- Peter Doeringer & Christine Evans-Klock & David Terkla, .
"What Attracts High Performance Factories? Minagement Culture and Regional Advantage,"
Boston University - Department of Economics - The Institute for Economic Development Working Papers Series
dp-125, Boston University - Department of Economics.
- Doeringer, Peter & Evans-Klock, Christine & Terkla, David, 2004. "What attracts high performance factories? Management culture and regional advantage," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(5), pages 591-618, September.
- Hector Rocha & Rolf Sternberg, 2005. "Entrepreneurship: The Role of Clusters Theoretical Perspectives and Empirical Evidence from Germany," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 24(3), pages 267-292, 02.
- Combes, Pierre-Philippe & Duranton, Gilles & Gobillon, Laurent, 2004.
"Spatial Wage Disparities: Sorting Matters!,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
4240, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Nachum, Lilach & Keeble, David, 2003. "MNE linkages and localised clusters: foreign and indigenous firms in the media cluster of Central London," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 9(2), pages 171-192.
- Karlsson, Charlie & Johansson, Börje & Stough, Roger, 2008. "Entrepreneurship and Innovation in Functional Regions," Working Paper Series in Economics and Institutions of Innovation 144, Royal Institute of Technology, CESIS - Centre of Excellence for Science and Innovation Studies.
- Philip McCann & Les Oxley & Hong Shangqin, 2009. "Innovation in New Zealand: Issues of Firm Size, Local Market Size and Economic Geography," Working Papers in Economics 09/04, University of Canterbury, Department of Economics and Finance.
- Theodore Metaxas, 2011. "The Entrepreneurial Capacity Of Local Authorities In South-Eastern Europe - An Enterprise Perspective," Romanian Economic Business Review, Romanian-American University, vol. 6(1), pages 18-36, March.
- Vickerman, Roger, 1995. "Location, accessibility and regional development: the appraisal of trans-European networks," Transport Policy, Elsevier, vol. 2(4), pages 225-234, October.
- Wheeler, David & Mody, Ashoka, 1992. "International investment location decisions : The case of U.S. firms," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(1-2), pages 57-76, August.
- Van de Ven, Wynand P. M. M. & Van Der Gaag, Jacques, 1982. "Health as an unobservable : A MIMIC-model of demand for health care," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 1(2), pages 157-183, August.
- Irini Moustaki & Martin Knott, 2000. "Weighting for item non-response in attitude scales by using latent variable models with covariates," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series A, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 163(3), pages 445-459.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.