Impact on firms of the use of knowledge providers: a systematic review of the literature
AbstractThis study summarizes the main conclusions from a systematic review of the empirical literature regarding the impact on firms of the use of knowledge providers, including universities, technology institutes or knowledge intensive business firms. We use a criteria to classify the literature according to the research question addressed: (i) Which firms use knowledge providers?; (ii) Do firms using them achieve better results?; (iii) Which firms benefit more from using knowledge providers? Stylized facts are that larger, more R&D intensive and high tech firms are more likely to use knowledge providers and that use of knowledge providers is associated to firms higher technical results. Less attention has been paid to the third question so that no stylized facts can be developed on it. Three important recommendations for future research emerge. First, to pay more attention to methodological issues, such as sample selection and endogeneity, which may potentially bias the results. Second, to develop comparative analysis of the differential features of different knowledge providers. Third, to take depth and breadth of collaborations into account.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 41042.
Date of creation: 08 Jul 2012
Date of revision:
Impact Assessment; Firms; Knowledge Providers; Collaboration; Innovation; R&D; Industry; Literature Review;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- O30 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - General
- I20 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Education - - - General
- L10 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-09-16 (All new papers)
- NEP-CSE-2012-09-16 (Economics of Strategic Management)
- NEP-HME-2012-09-16 (Heterodox Microeconomics)
- NEP-INO-2012-09-16 (Innovation)
- NEP-KNM-2012-09-16 (Knowledge Management & Knowledge Economy)
- NEP-SBM-2012-09-16 (Small Business Management)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Miotti, Luis & Sachwald, Frederique, 2003. "Co-operative R&D: why and with whom?: An integrated framework of analysis," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 32(8), pages 1481-1499, September.
- James D. Adams & Eric P. Chiang & Jeffrey L. Jensen, 2000.
"The Influence of Federal Laboratory R&D on Industrial Research,"
NBER Working Papers
7612, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- James D. Adams & Eric P. Chiang & Jeffrey L. Jensen, 2003. "The Influence of Federal Laboratory R&D on Industrial Research," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 85(4), pages 1003-1020, November.
- James D. Adams & Eric P. Chiang & Jeffrey L. Jensen, 2003. "The Influence of Federal Laboratory R&D on Industrial Research," Rensselaer Working Papers in Economics 0301, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Department of Economics.
- Segarra-Blasco, Agusti & Arauzo-Carod, Josep-Maria, 2008. "Sources of innovation and industry-university interaction: Evidence from Spanish firms," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(8), pages 1283-1295, September.
- Fontana, Roberto & Geuna, Aldo & Matt, Mireille, 2006. "Factors affecting university-industry R&D projects: The importance of searching, screening and signalling," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 309-323, March.
- Hans Lööf & Anders Broström, 2008.
"Does knowledge diffusion between university and industry increase innovativeness?,"
The Journal of Technology Transfer,
Springer, vol. 33(1), pages 73-90, February.
- Lööf, Hans & Broström, Anders, 2004. "Does Knowledge Diffusion between University and Industry Increase Innovativeness?," Working Paper Series in Economics and Institutions of Innovation 21, Royal Institute of Technology, CESIS - Centre of Excellence for Science and Innovation Studies, revised 26 Jan 2006.
- Bronwyn H. Hall & Albert N. Link & John T. Scott, 2003.
"Universities as Research Partners,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 85(2), pages 485-491, May.
- Bronwyn H. Hall & Albert N. Link & John T. Scott, 2001. "Universities as Research Partners," Development and Comp Systems 0012001, EconWPA.
- Bronwyn H. Hall & Albert N. Link & John T. Scott, 2000. "Universities as Research Partners," NBER Working Papers 7643, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bronwyn H. Hall, Albert N. Link and John T. Scott., 2000. "Universities as Research Partners," Economics Working Papers E00-276, University of California at Berkeley.
- Hall, Browyn H. & Link, Albert N. & Scott, John T., 2000. "Universities as Research Partners," Department of Economics, Working Paper Series qt1np920r9, Department of Economics, Institute for Business and Economic Research, UC Berkeley.
- Hall, Bronwyn & Link, Albert & Scott, John, 2010. "Universities as Research Partners," Working Papers 10-9, University of North Carolina at Greensboro, Department of Economics.
- Bronwyn Hall & Albert N. Link and John T. Scott, 2000. "Universities as Research Partners," Economics Series Working Papers 2000-W18, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Tsai, Kuen-Hung & Hsieh, Ming-Hung, 2009. "How different types of partners influence innovative product sales: Does technological capacity matter?," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 62(12), pages 1321-1328, December.
- van Beers, Cees & Berghäll, Elina & Poot, Tom, 2008.
"R&D internationalization, R&D collaboration and public knowledge institutions in small economies: Evidence from Finland and the Netherlands,"
Elsevier, vol. 37(2), pages 294-308, March.
- Cees van Beers & Elina Berghäll & Tom Poot, 2007. "R&D Internationalization, R&D Collaboration and Public Knowledge Institutions in Small Economies Evidence from Finland and the Netherlands," DRUID Working Papers 07-12, DRUID, Copenhagen Business School, Department of Industrial Economics and Strategy/Aalborg University, Department of Business Studies.
- Andrés Barge-Gil & Aurelia Modrego, 2011. "The impact of research and technology organizations on firm competitiveness. Measurement and determinants," The Journal of Technology Transfer, Springer, vol. 36(1), pages 61-83, February.
- Fritsch, Michael & Lukas, Rolf, 2001.
"Who cooperates on R&D?,"
Elsevier, vol. 30(2), pages 297-312, February.
- Fritsch, M. & Lukas, R., 1998. "Who Cooperates on R & D ?," Papers 98/12, Bergakademie Freiberg, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- Fritsch, Michael & Lukas, Rolf, 1998. "Who Cooperates on R&D?," Freiberg Working Papers 1998,12, TU Bergakademie Freiberg, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- Kevin Mole & Mark Hart & Stephen Roper & David Saal, 2008. "Differential gains from Business Link support and advice: a treatment effects approach," Environment and Planning C: Government and Policy, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 26(2), pages 315-334, April.
- Todtling, Franz & Trippl, Michaela, 2005. "One size fits all?: Towards a differentiated regional innovation policy approach," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(8), pages 1203-1219, October.
- René Belderbos & Martin Carree & Boris Lokshin, 2006.
"Complementarity in R&D Cooperation Strategies,"
Review of Industrial Organization,
Springer, vol. 28(4), pages 401-426, June.
- Tsai, Kuen-Hung & Wang, Jiann-Chyuan, 2009. "External technology sourcing and innovation performance in LMT sectors: An analysis based on the Taiwanese Technological Innovation Survey," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(3), pages 518-526, April.
- Jaider Vega-Jurado & Antonio Gutiérrez-Gracia & Ignacio Fernández-de-Lucio, 2009. "Does external knowledge sourcing matter for innovation? Evidence from the Spanish manufacturing industry," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 18(4), pages 637-670, August.
- Spyros Arvanitis & Martin Woerter, 2009. "Firms' transfer strategies with universities and the relationship with firms' innovation performance," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 18(6), pages 1067-1106, December.
- Bercovitz, Janet E.L. & Feldman, Maryann P., 2007. "Fishing upstream: Firm innovation strategy and university research alliances," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(7), pages 930-948, September.
- Michael Fritsch, 2001. "Co-operation in Regional Innovation Systems," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 35(4), pages 297-307.
- R. J. Bennett & P. J. A. Robson & W. J. A. Bratton, 2001. "Government advice networks for SMEs: an assessment of the influence of local context on Business Link use, impact and satisfaction," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 33(7), pages 871-885.
- Adela Garcia-Aracil & Ignacio Fernandez De Lucio, 2008. "Industry-University Interactions in a Peripheral European Region: An Empirical Study of Valencian Firms," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 42(2), pages 215-227.
- Adam Jaffe, 2008. "The “Science of Science Policy”: reflections on the important questions and the challenges they present," The Journal of Technology Transfer, Springer, vol. 33(2), pages 131-139, April.
- Paul Robson & Robert Bennett, 2010. "Paying fees for government business advice: an assessment of Business Link experience," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 42(1), pages 37-48.
- P. J. A. Robson & R. J. Bennett, 2000. "The use and impact of business advice by SMEs in Britain: an empirical assessment using logit and ordered logit models," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 32(13), pages 1675-1688.
- Di Stefano, Giada & Gambardella, Alfonso & Verona, Gianmario, 2012. "Technology push and demand pull perspectives in innovation studies: Current findings and future research directions," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 41(8), pages 1283-1295.
- Aschhoff, Birgit & Schmidt, Tobias, 2006.
"Empirical evidence on the success of R&D co-operation: Happy together?,"
ZEW Discussion Papers
06-59, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Birgit Aschhoff & Tobias Schmidt, 2008. "Empirical Evidence on the Success of R&D Cooperation—Happy Together?," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 33(1), pages 41-62, August.
- Tether, Bruce S., 2002. "Who co-operates for innovation, and why: An empirical analysis," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 31(6), pages 947-967, August.
- Vega-Jurado, Jaider & Gutiérrez-Gracia, Antonio & Fernández-de-Lucio, Ignacio & Manjarrés-Henriquez, Liney, 2008. "The effect of external and internal factors on firms' product innovation," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(4), pages 616-632, May.
- Frenz, Marion & Ietto-Gillies, Grazia, 2009. "The impact on innovation performance of different sources of knowledge: Evidence from the UK Community Innovation Survey," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(7), pages 1125-1135, September.
- Wolfgang Becker & Juergen Dietz, 2002.
"R&D Cooperation and Innovation Activities of Firms - Evidence for the German Manufacturing Industry -,"
Discussion Paper Series
222, Universitaet Augsburg, Institute for Economics.
- Becker, Wolfgang & Dietz, Jurgen, 2004. "R&D cooperation and innovation activities of firms--evidence for the German manufacturing industry," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 33(2), pages 209-223, March.
- Laursen, Keld & Salter, Ammon, 2004. "Searching high and low: what types of firms use universities as a source of innovation?," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 33(8), pages 1201-1215, October.
- Spyros Arvanitis & Nora Sydow & Martin Woerter, 2008. "Is there any Impact of University–Industry Knowledge Transfer on Innovation and Productivity? An Empirical Analysis Based on Swiss Firm Data," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 32(2), pages 77-94, March.
- Steve Johnson & Don J Webber & Wayne Thomas, 2007. "Which SMEs use external business advice? A multivariate subregional study," Environment and Planning A, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 39(8), pages 1981-1997, August.
- Lopez, Alberto, 2008. "Determinants of R&D cooperation: Evidence from Spanish manufacturing firms," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 113-136, January.
- Fabrizio, Kira R., 2009. "Absorptive capacity and the search for innovation," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(2), pages 255-267, March.
- Pavitt, Keith, 1984. "Sectoral patterns of technical change: Towards a taxonomy and a theory," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 13(6), pages 343-373, December.
- Hagedoorn, John, 2002. "Inter-firm R&D partnerships: an overview of major trends and patterns since 1960," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 31(4), pages 477-492, May.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.