Financial globalisation and crisis, institutional transformation and equity
AbstractThis paper comprises the long introduction to the symposium of five papers on financial globalisation published in the Cambridge Journal of Economics, volume 34, no 2. The paper discusses the impact of financial globalisation in a variety of spheres and shows how the five papers link together to provide a coherent view of the current economic and financial crisis. In this paper we also examine the globalisation of finance more broadly both in historical terms as well as in relation to the current widespread failure in the financial markets. We take up the policy question of how the interests of the poor in particular, and developing countries in general, could be safeguarded from the vagaries of financial globalisation, questioning how much choice communities and countries have and what can the international community do to extend these choices?
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 39054.
Date of creation: Jun 2010
Date of revision:
Financial globalisation; crisis; institutional transformation and equity;
Other versions of this item:
- Philip Arestis & Ajit Singh, 2010. "Financial globalisation and crisis, institutional transformation and equity," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 34(2), pages 225-238, March.
- Arestis, P. & Singh, A., 2010. "Financial Globalisation and Crisis, Institutional Transformation and Equity," ESRC Centre for Business Research - Working Papers wp405, ESRC Centre for Business Research.
- G15 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - International Financial Markets
- G18 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Government Policy and Regulation
- G20 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - General
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Reinhart, Carmen & Kaminsky, Graciela, 1999.
"The twin crises: The causes of banking and balance of payments problems,"
14081, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Carmen M. Reinhart & Graciela L. Kaminsky, 1999. "The Twin Crises: The Causes of Banking and Balance-of-Payments Problems," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 89(3), pages 473-500, June.
- Graciela L. Kaminsky & Carmen M. Reinhart, 1996. "The twin crises: the causes of banking and balance-of-payments problems," International Finance Discussion Papers 544, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Philip Arestis & Asena Caner, 2010.
"Capital account liberalisation and poverty: how close is the link?,"
Cambridge Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 34(2), pages 295-323, March.
- Philip Arestis & Asena Caner, 2008. "Capital Account Liberalization and Poverty: How Close is the Link?," Working Papers 0811, TOBB University of Economics and Technology, Department of Economics.
- Sushil Bikhchandani & David Hirshleifer & Ivo Welch, 2010.
"A theory of Fads, Fashion, Custom and cultural change as informational Cascades,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
1193, David K. Levine.
- Bikhchandani, Sushil & Hirshleifer, David & Welch, Ivo, 1992. "A Theory of Fads, Fashion, Custom, and Cultural Change in Informational Cascades," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 100(5), pages 992-1026, October.
- Clarke, George R. G. & Cull, Robert & Martinez Peria, Maria Soledad & Sanchez, Susana M., 2002.
"Bank lending to small businesses in Latin America : does Bank origin matter?,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
2760, The World Bank.
- Clarke, George & Cull, Robert & Martinez Peria, Maria Soledad & Sanchez, Susana M, 2005. "Bank Lending to Small Businesses in Latin America: Does Bank Origin Matter?," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 37(1), pages 83-118, February.
- Guillermo A. Calvo & Enrique G. Mendoza, 1999.
"Regional Contagion and the Globalization of Securities Markets,"
NBER Working Papers
7153, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Calvo, Guillermo A. & Mendoza, Enrique G., 2000. "Rational contagion and the globalization of securities markets," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 51(1), pages 79-113, June.
- Ajit Singh, 2003.
"Capital Account Liberalization, Free Long-Term Capital Flows, Financial Crises and Economic Development,"
Eastern Economic Journal,
Eastern Economic Association, vol. 29(2), pages 191-216, Spring.
- Ajit Singh, 2002. "Capital account liberalization, free long-term capital flows, financial crises and economic development," ESRC Centre for Business Research - Working Papers wp245, ESRC Centre for Business Research.
- Jan Kregel, 2007. "The Natural Instability of Financial Markets," Economics Working Paper Archive wp_523, Levy Economics Institute.
- Engelbert Stockhammer, 2000.
"Financialization and the Slowdown of Accumulation,"
geewp14, Vienna University of Economics Research Group: Growth and Employment in Europe: Sustainability and Competitiveness.
- Enrica Detragiache & Poonam Gupta & Thierry Tressel, 2006. "Foreign Banks in Poor Countries," IMF Working Papers 06/18, International Monetary Fund.
- Howard Stein, 2010. "Financial liberalisation, institutional transformation and credit allocation in developing countries: the World Bank and the internationalisation of banking," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 34(2), pages 257-273, March.
- Orhangazi, Ozgur, 2007. "Financialization and Capital Accumulation in the Nonfinancial Corporate Sector: A Theoretical and Empirical Investigation on the US Economy, 1973-2004," MPRA Paper 7724, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- William Milberg & Deborah Winkler, 2010. "Financialisation and the dynamics of offshoring in the USA," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 34(2), pages 275-293, March.
- Gary A. Dymski, 2010. "Why the subprime crisis is different: a Minskyian approach," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 34(2), pages 239-255, March.
- Giancarlo Bertocco, 2011. "Finance and risk: does finance create risk?," Economics and Quantitative Methods qf1115, Department of Economics, University of Insubria.
- Gunther Tichy, 2010. "War die Finanzkrise vorhersehbar?," Perspektiven der Wirtschaftspolitik, Verein für Socialpolitik, vol. 11(4), pages 356-382, November.
- Giancarlo Bertocco, 2011. "Housing bubble and economic theory: is mainstream theory able to explain the crisis?," Economics and Quantitative Methods qf1116, Department of Economics, University of Insubria.
- Singh, Ajit, 2011.
"Financial globalisation and human development,"
39048, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Singh, A., 2011. "Financial Globalisation and Human Development," ESRC Centre for Business Research - Working Papers wp421, ESRC Centre for Business Research.
- Singh, Ajit, 2011. "Financial globalisation and human development," MPRA Paper 53043, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Porcile, Gabriel & de Souza, Alexandre Gomes & Viana, Ricardo, 2011. "External debt sustainability and policy rules in a small globalized economy," Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, Elsevier, vol. 22(3), pages 269-276, September.
- Olga Pogrebennyk, 2014. "Code or court: the financial-political aspect of correlation between common and civil law," European Journal of Law and Economics, Springer, vol. 37(2), pages 175-181, April.
- Adil Naamane, 2012. "Peut-on prévenir les crises financières ?," Working Papers 2011-2012_7, CATT - UPPA - Université de Pau et des Pays de l'Adour, revised May 2012.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.