Trading Mechanism Selection with Directed Search when Buyers are Risk Averse
AbstractWe endogenize the trading mechanism selection in a model of directed search with risk averse buyers and show that the unique symmetric equilibrium entails all sellers using fixed price trading. Mechanisms that prescribe the sale price as a function of the realized demand (auctions, bargaining, discount pricing, etc.) expose buyers to the "price risk", the uncertainty of not knowing how much to pay in advance. Fixed price trading eliminates the price risk, which is why risk averse customers accept paying more to shop at such stores.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 36224.
Date of creation: 2011
Date of revision:
Directed Search; Competing Mechanisms; Risk Aversion;
Other versions of this item:
- Selcuk, Cemil, 2012. "Trading mechanism selection with directed search when buyers are risk averse," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 115(2), pages 207-210.
- D81 - Microeconomics - - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty - - - Criteria for Decision-Making under Risk and Uncertainty
- D40 - Microeconomics - - Market Structure and Pricing - - - General
- D83 - Microeconomics - - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty - - - Search, Learning, and Information
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-02-20 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Wang, Ruqu, 1995. "Bargaining versus posted-price selling," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 39(9), pages 1747-1764, December.
- Julien, B. & Kennes, J. & King, I., 1998.
"Bidding for Labour,"
dp98-03, Department of Economics, Simon Fraser University.
- Ariel Rubinstein, 2010.
"Perfect Equilibrium in a Bargaining Model,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
252, David K. Levine.
- Michael Peters, 1995.
"A Competitive Distribution of Auctions,"
peters-95-03, University of Toronto, Department of Economics.
- Kultti, Klaus, 1999.
"Equivalence of Auctions and Posted Prices,"
Games and Economic Behavior,
Elsevier, vol. 27(1), pages 106-113, April.
- Michael Peters, 1998.
"Limits of Exact Equilibria for Capacity Constrained Sellers with costlySearch,"
peters-98-01, University of Toronto, Department of Economics.
- Peters, Michael, 2000. "Limits of Exact Equilibria for Capacity Constrained Sellers with Costly Search," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 95(2), pages 139-168, December.
- Kenneth Burdett & Shouyong Shi & Randall Wright, 2001. "Pricing and Matching with Frictions," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 109(5), pages 1060-1085, October.
- Drew Fudenberg & Jean Tirole, 1991. "Game Theory," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262061414, January.
- Ruqu Wang, 1991.
"Auctions Versus Posted-Price Selling,"
812, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Eeckhout, Jan & Kircher, Philipp, 2010. "Sorting versus screening: Search frictions and competing mechanisms," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 145(4), pages 1354-1385, July.
- McAfee, R Preston, 1993. "Mechanism Design by Competing Sellers," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 61(6), pages 1281-1312, November.
- Gabriele Camera & Cemil Selcuk, 2010. "Multi-player Bargaining with Endogenous Capacity," Review of Economic Dynamics, Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 13(3), pages 637-653, July.
- Linda Goldberg & Cedric Tille, 2013.
"A bargaining theory of trade invoicing and pricing,"
Globalization and Monetary Policy Institute Working Paper
144, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas.
- Linda S. Goldberg & Cédric Tille, 2013. "A Bargaining Theory of Trade Invoicing and Pricing," NBER Working Papers 18985, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Goldberg, Linda S. & Tille, Cédric, 2013. "A bargaining theory of trade invoicing and pricing," CEPR Discussion Papers 9447, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Linda Goldberg & Cédric Tille, 2013. "A Bargaining Theory of Trade Invoicing and Pricing," Kiel Working Papers 1839, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Linda Goldberg & Cédric Tille, 2013. "A bargaining theory of trade invoicing and pricing," Staff Reports 611, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Linda Goldberg, Cedric Tille, 2013. "A Bargaining Theory of Trade Invoicing and Pricing," IHEID Working Papers 09-2013, Economics Section, The Graduate Institute of International Studies.
- Gabriele Camera & Jaehong Kim, 2012.
"Buyer's Equilibrium with Capacity Constraints and Restricted Mobility: a Recursive Approach,"
12-28, Chapman University, Economic Science Institute.
- Camera, Gabriele & Kim, Jaehong, 2013. "Buyer’s equilibrium with capacity constraints and restricted mobility: A recursive approach," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 118(2), pages 321-323.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.