Directed search with endogenous capacity
AbstractWe consider a large market with frictions. We are in a directed search type setting, sellers are capacity constrained, post prices, and buyers contact sellers taking into account price and probability of service. We aim to endogenize the sellers' capacities. To this end we formulate a three stage game, where the sellers choose their capacity in the first stage, in the second stage sellers choose their price given the capacities, and in the third stage buyers choose which firm to visit. We analyse price formation when sellers' have different capacities. A non-existence result is introduced for linear costs. We also characterize equilibrium with free entry and increasing and convex costs. In addition we derive the matching function and the social welfare function and show that the capacity chosen under free entry is efficient.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Society for Economic Dynamics in its series 2011 Meeting Papers with number 1025.
Date of creation: 2011
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Society for Economic Dynamics Christian Zimmermann Economic Research Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis PO Box 442 St. Louis MO 63166-0442 USA
Web page: http://www.EconomicDynamics.org/society.htm
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Geromichalos, Athanasios, 2012.
"Directed search and optimal production,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 147(6), pages 2303-2331.
- William B. Hawkins, 2013. "Competitive Search, Efficiency, And Multiworker Firms," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 54(1), pages 219-251, 02.
- Kultti, K.K., 1997.
"Equivalence of Auctions and Posted Prices,"
1997-57, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Kenneth Burdett & Shouyong Shi & Randall Wright, 2001. "Pricing and Matching with Frictions," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 109(5), pages 1060-1085, October.
- Peters, Michael, 1991. "Ex Ante Price Offers in Matching Games Non-steady States," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(5), pages 1425-54, September.
- Kultti Klaus, 2011. "Sellers Like Clusters," The B.E. Journal of Theoretical Economics, De Gruyter, vol. 11(1), pages 1-28, December.
- Lester, Benjamin, 2010. "Directed search with multi-vacancy firms," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 145(6), pages 2108-2132, November.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christian Zimmermann).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.