Determinants of different internal migration trends: the Italian experience
AbstractThis paper investigates the determinants of interregional migration in Italy for the period 1985-2006, during which different migration trends took place. In so doing, in addition to the traditional variables of Harris and Todaro model, the impact of housing prices and externalities variables were studied. Our results, using a dynamic panel GMM, show that the H-T model, due to the complexity of the internal migration process, omits some important economic and non-economic variables and may not be representative of migration flow in Italy. Furthermore, our analysis confirms our intuition that for different periods we have to take into account different determinants.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 21734.
Date of creation: Jan 2010
Date of revision:
Interregional Migration; House prices; Income; Unemployment; Italy; Panel Data;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C23 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Models with Panel Data; Spatio-temporal Models
- J61 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Mobility, Unemployment, Vacancies, and Immigrant Workers - - - Geographic Labor Mobility; Immigrant Workers
- R21 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - Household Analysis - - - Housing Demand
- R23 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - Household Analysis - - - Regional Migration; Regional Labor Markets; Population
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2010-04-04 (All new papers)
- NEP-MIG-2010-04-04 (Economics of Human Migration)
- NEP-URE-2010-04-04 (Urban & Real Estate Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Yuri Andrienko & Sergei Guriev, 2003.
"Determinants of Interregional Mobility in Russia: Evidence from Panel Data,"
William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series
551, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Yuri Andrienko & Sergei Guriev, 2003. "Determinants of interregional mobility in Russia: evidence from panel data," Working Papers w0027, Center for Economic and Financial Research (CEFIR).
- Andrienko, Yuri & Guriev, Sergei, 2003. "Determinants of Interregional Mobility in Russia: Evidence from Panel Data," CEPR Discussion Papers 3835, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Fidrmuc, Jan, 2003.
"Migration and Regional Adjustment to Asymmetric Shocks in Transition Economies,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3798, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Fidrmuc, Jan, 2004. "Migration and regional adjustment to asymmetric shocks in transition economies," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(2), pages 230-247, June.
- Jan Fidrmuc, 2002. "Migration and regional adjustment to asymmetric shocks in transition economies," CPB Discussion Paper 7, CPB Netherlands Bureau for Economic Policy Analysis.
- Roberto Basile & Marco Causi, 2007.
"Le determinanti dei flussi migratori nelle province italiane: 1991-2001,"
Economia & Lavoro,
Fondazione Giacomo Brodolini, issue 2, pages 139.
- Basile Roberto & Causi Marco, 2007. "Le determinanti dei flussi migratori nelle province italiane: 1991-2001," Economia & lavoro, Carocci editore, issue 2, pages 139.
- Roberto Basile & Marco Causi, 2005. "Le determinanti dei flussi migratori nelle province italiane: 1991-2001," Departmental Working Papers of Economics - University 'Roma Tre' 0049, Department of Economics - University Roma Tre.
- Faini, Riccardo & Galli, Giampaolo & Gennari, Pietro & Rossi, Fulvio, 1997. "An empirical puzzle: Falling migration and growing unemployment differentials among Italian regions," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 41(3-5), pages 571-579, April.
- Hazans, Mihails, 2003. "Commuting in the Baltic States: Patterns, determinants and gains," ZEI Working Papers B 02-2003, ZEI - Center for European Integration Studies, University of Bonn.
- Ella Kçˆˆlai & Iulia Traistaru, 1998. "Characteristics and Trends of Regional Labour Markets in Transition Economies:Empirical Evidence from Romania," LICOS Discussion Papers 7298, LICOS - Centre for Institutions and Economic Performance, KU Leuven.
- Stefano Fachin, 2007.
"Long-run trends in internal migrations in italy: a study in panel cointegration with dependent units,"
Journal of Applied Econometrics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 22(2), pages 401-428.
- Stefano Fachin, 2005. "Long-Run Trends in Internal Migrations in Italy: a Study in Panel Cointegration with Dependent Units," Econometrics 0507002, EconWPA.
- Windmeijer, Frank, 2005. "A finite sample correction for the variance of linear efficient two-step GMM estimators," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 126(1), pages 25-51, May.
- Daniela-Luminita Constantin & Cornelia Parlog & Zizi Goschin, 2003. "Interregional Migration in Romania during the 1990s," ERSA conference papers ersa03p86, European Regional Science Association.
- Stark, Oded & Ranjan Gupta, Manash & Levhari, David, 1991. "Equilibrium urban unemployment in developing countries : Is migration the culprit?," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 37(4), pages 477-482, December.
- Salvatore Muzzicato & Roberto Sabbatini & Francesco Zollino, 2008. "Prices of residential property in Italy: constructing a new indicator," Questioni di Economia e Finanza (Occasional Papers) 17, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Peter Huber, 2004.
"Inter-regional Mobility in Europe. A Note on the Cross-Country Evidence,"
WIFO Working Papers
- Peter Huber, 2004. "Inter-regional mobility in Europe: a note on the cross-country evidence," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 11(10), pages 619-624.
- Etzo, Ivan, 2007. "Determinants of interregional migration in Italy:A panel data analysis," MPRA Paper 5307, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Luigi Cannari & Francesco Nucci & Paolo Sestito, 2000. "Geographic labour mobility and the cost of housing: evidence from Italy," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 32(14), pages 1899-1906.
- Nifo, Annamaria & Pagnotta, Stefano & Scalera, Domenico, 2011.
"The best and brightest. Selezione positiva e brain drain nelle migrazioni interne italiane
[The best and brightest. Positive selection and brain drain in Italian internal migrations]," MPRA Paper 34506, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Vakulenko, Elena, 2012. "Migration in Russian cities: Econometric analysis," Applied Econometrics, Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 25(1), pages 25-50.
- Mitze, Timo & Reinkowski, Janina, 2010. "Testing the Validity of the Neoclassical Migration Model: Overall and Age-Group Specific Estimation Results for German Spatial Planning Regions," MPRA Paper 23616, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.