Geographic labour mobility and the cost of housing: evidence from Italy
AbstractIn recent years, internal migration in Italy has declined markedly, notwithstanding the widening of the North-South gap in terms of unemployment rates and real income. Here, the extent to which the housing market has contributed to the decline is examined. Preliminary to this analysis, differentials in the cost of housing between the macro-areas of the country are estimated using data on the market price of houses located in 96 provincial capitals. Econometric evidence is provided supporting the view that the North-South housing price differential is a notable factor in explaining the falling pattern of mobility. The positive impact on migration from the South to the North of a wider gap in the two areas in terms of income and employment prospects has been offset by the housing price differential, which has steadily risen at least from the mid-1980s onwards. Yet, a considerable share of the decrease in mobility remains unexplained, possibly owing to the heterogeneity in the composition of migration flows across different cohorts.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Applied Economics.
Volume (Year): 32 (2000)
Issue (Month): 14 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEC20
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Napolitano, Oreste & Bonasia, Mariangela, 2010. "Determinants of different internal migration trends: the Italian experience," MPRA Paper 21734, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Bratti, Massimiliano & Leombruni, Roberto, 2009. "Local Human Capital Externalities and Wages at the Firm Level: The Case of Italian Manufacturing," IZA Discussion Papers 4613, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Sabrina Di Addario, 2005.
"Job Search in Thick Markets: Evidence from Italy,"
Economics Series Working Papers
235, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Sabrina Di Addario, 2006. "Job Search in Thick Markets: Evidence from Italy," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 605, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Sabrina Di Addario, 2005. "Job Search in Thick Markets: Evidence from Italy," Development Working Papers 198, Centro Studi Luca d\'Agliano, University of Milano.
- Sabrina Di Addario, 2005. "Job Search in Thick Markets: Evidence from Italy," 2005 Meeting Papers 758, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Di Addario, Sabrina & Patacchini, Eleonora, 2008.
"Wages and the City. Evidence from Italy,"
Elsevier, vol. 15(5), pages 1040-1061, October.
- Sabrina Di Addario & Eleonora Patacchini, 2006. "Is there an urban wage premium in Italy?," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 570, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Cinquegrana, Giuseppe, 2011. "The dynamics of the housing market prices and the business cycle: a VAR analysis for the european monetary union," MPRA Paper 39875, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Faini, Riccardo & Strom, Steinar & Venturini, Alessandra & Villosio, Claudia, 2009.
"Are Foreign Migrants More Assimilated Than Native Ones?,"
IZA Discussion Papers
4639, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Riccardo Faini & Steiner Strom & Alessandra Venturini & Claudia Villosio, 2009. "Are Foreign Migrants more Assimilated than Native Ones?," LABORatorio R. Revelli Working Papers Series 96, LABORatorio R. Revelli, Centre for Employment Studies.
- Giuseppe Bertola & Paolo Sestito, 2011. "A Comparative Perspective on Italy's Human Capital Accumulation," Quaderni di storia economica (Economic History Working Papers) 06, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Destefanis, Sergio & Mastromatteo, Giuseppe, 2010. "Wage Inequality and Labour-market Performance. A Role for Corporate Social Responsibility - Disuguaglianza salariale e performance del mercato del lavoro," Economia Internazionale / International Economics, Camera di Commercio di Genova, vol. 63(1), pages 91-120.
- Tiziana Caliman & Enrico di Bella, 2011. "Spatial Autoregressive Models for House Price Dynamics in Italy," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 31(2), pages 1837-1855.
- Giuseppe Croce & Emanuela Ghignoni, 2011.
"Overeducation and spatial flexibility in Italian local labour markets,"
145, University of Rome La Sapienza, Department of Public Economics.
- Croce, Giuseppe & Ghignoni, Emanuela, 2011. "Overeducation and spatial flexibility in Italian local labour markets," MPRA Paper 29670, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.