Dynamic Efficiency Measurement: A Directional Distance Function Approach
AbstractA dynamic directional input distance function is proposed within the adjustment-cost model of the firm, generalizing the directional distance function developed by Chambers, Chung and Färe (1996) in the static context. Duality is established between the dynamic directional distance function and the optimal current value function of the intertemporal cost minimization problem. Dynamic input efficiency measures are generated from the dynamic directional input distance function and intertemporal duality. These efficiency measures indicate the firm’s degree of efficiency at a point along its adjustment path. The dynamic efficiency measures are illustrated on panel data of Dutch glasshouse horticulture firms using a nonparametric approach. Keywords and Phrases: adjustment-cost technology, dynamic directional input distance function, dynamic duality, dynamic cost efficiency.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Universidade do Porto, Faculdade de Economia do Porto in its series CEF.UP Working Papers with number 1307.
Length: 43 pages
Date of creation: May 2013
Date of revision:
adjustment-cost technology; dynamic directional input distance function; dynamic duality; dynamic cost efficiency;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D21 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Firm Behavior: Theory
- D24 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Production; Cost; Capital; Capital, Total Factor, and Multifactor Productivity; Capacity
- D61 - Microeconomics - - Welfare Economics - - - Allocative Efficiency; Cost-Benefit Analysis
- D92 - Microeconomics - - Intertemporal Choice - - - Intertemporal Firm Choice, Investment, Capacity, and Financing
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Robert E. Lucas & Jr., 1967. "Adjustment Costs and the Theory of Supply," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 75, pages 321.
- Epstein, Larry G, 1981. "Duality Theory and Functional Forms for Dynamic Factor Demands," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 48(1), pages 81-95, January.
- Wilko Letterie & Gerard A. Pfann & Sher Verick, 2010. "On Lumpiness in the Replacement and Expansion of Capital," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 72(3), pages 263-281, 06.
- Luenberger, David G., 1992. "Benefit functions and duality," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(5), pages 461-481.
- Pierre Ouellette & Li Yan, 2008.
"Investment and dynamic DEA,"
Journal of Productivity Analysis,
Springer, vol. 29(3), pages 235-247, June.
- Jean-Paul Chavas & Thomas L. Cox, 1999.
"A Generalized Distance Function and the Analysis of Production Efficiency,"
Southern Economic Journal,
Southern Economic Association, vol. 66(2), pages 294-318, October.
- Jean-Paul Chavas & Thomas L. Cox, 1999. "A Generalized Distance Function and the Analysis of Production Efficiency," Wisconsin-Madison Agricultural and Applied Economics Staff Papers 422, Wisconsin-Madison Agricultural and Applied Economics Department.
- Elvira Silva & Spiro Stefanou, 2003. "Nonparametric Dynamic Production Analysis and the Theory of Cost," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 19(1), pages 5-32, January.
- Pierre Lasserre & Pierre Ouellette, 1999.
"Dynamic Factor Demands and Technology Measurement under Arbitrary Expectations,"
Cahiers de recherche du DÃ©partement des sciences Ã©conomiques, UQAM
9908, Université du Québec à Montréal, Département des sciences économiques.
- Pierre Lasserre & Pierre Ouellette, 1993. "Dynamic Factor Demands and Technology Measurement Under Arbitrary Expectations," Cahiers de recherche du DÃ©partement des sciences Ã©conomiques, UQAM 9509, Université du Québec à Montréal, Département des sciences économiques, revised Jul 1995.
- Treadway, Arthur B, 1969. "On Rational Entrepreneurial Behaviour and the Demand for Investment," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 36(106), pages 227-39, April.
- Cooper, Russel J & McLaren, Keith R, 1980. "Atemporal, Temporal and Intertemporal Duality in Consumer Theory," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 21(3), pages 599-609, October.
- McLaren, Keith R & Cooper, Russel J, 1980. "Intertemporal Duality: Application to the Theory of the Firm," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(7), pages 1755-62, November.
- Mortensen, Dale T, 1973. "Generalized Costs of Adjustment and Dynamic Factor Demand Theory," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 41(4), pages 657-65, July.
- Treadway, Arthur B., 1970. "Adjustment costs and variable inputs in the theory of the competitive firm," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 2(4), pages 329-347, December.
- Elvira Silva & Spiro E. Stefanou, 2007. "Dynamic Efficiency Measurement: Theory and Application," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 89(2), pages 398-419.
- Øivind Anti Nilsen & Fabio Schiantarelli, 2003.
"Zeros and Lumps in Investment: Empirical Evidence on Irreversibilities and Nonconvexities,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 85(4), pages 1021-1037, November.
- Oivind Anti Nilsen & Fabio Schiantarelli, 1996. "Zeroes and Lumps in Investment: Empirical Evidence on Irreversibilities and Non-Convexities," Boston College Working Papers in Economics 337., Boston College Department of Economics, revised 01 Nov 2000.
- Pierre Ouellette & Stéphane Vigeant, 2001. "Cost and Production Duality: The Case of the Regulated Firm," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 16(3), pages 203-224, November.
- Daniel S. Hamermesh & Gerard A. Pfann, 1996.
"Adjustment Costs in Factor Demand,"
Journal of Economic Literature,
American Economic Association, vol. 34(3), pages 1264-1292, September.
- Yir-Hueih Luh & Spiro E. Stefanou, 1996. "Estimating Dynamic Dual Models under Nonstatic Expectations," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 78(4), pages 991-1003.
- Fare, Rolf & Grosskopf, Shawna & Noh, Dong-Woon & Weber, William, 2005. "Characteristics of a polluting technology: theory and practice," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 126(2), pages 469-492, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ana Bonanca).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.