Dynamic Efficiency Measurement: Theory and Application
AbstractNonparametric dynamic measures of production efficiency are developed in the context of an adjustment-cost technology and intertemporal cost minimization. Bounds on each efficiency measure are derived for each firm using a nonparametric revealed preference approach. Long-run efficiency measures indicate the relative efficiency of both variable and dynamic factors while short-run measures of efficiency indicate whether variable inputs are employed efficiently in the production process. The efficiency measures are temporal in nature by describing the degree of efficiency of the firm at a particular point along its adjustment path. The empirical implementation is illustrated for a balanced panel of Pennsylvania dairy operators during 1986&-1992. Copyright 2007, Oxford University Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Agricultural and Applied Economics Association in its journal American Journal of Agricultural Economics.
Volume (Year): 89 (2007)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Kapelko, Magdalena & Oude Lansink, Alfons G.J.M. & Stefanou, Spiro E., 2012. "Assessing dynamic efficiency of the Spanish construction sector pre- and post-financial crisis," 131st Seminar, September 18-19, 2012, Prague, Czech Republic 135790, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Huettel, Silke & Narayana, Rashmi & Odening, Martin, 2011. "Measuring dynamic efficiency under uncertainty," Structural Change in Agriculture/Strukturwandel im Agrarsektor (SiAg) Working Papers 129062, Humboldt University Berlin, Department of Agricultural Economics.
- Stefanou, Spiro E., 2009.
"A Dynamic Characterization of Efficiency,"
Agricultural Economics Review,
Greek Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 10(1), January.
- Kapelko, Magdalena & Oude Lansink, Alfons G.J.M. & Stefanou, Spiro E., 2012. "Dynamic Productivity Growth in the Spanish Meat Industry," 131st Seminar, September 18-19, 2012, Prague, Czech Republic 135789, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Pierre Ouellette & Li Yan, 2008.
"Investment and dynamic DEA,"
Journal of Productivity Analysis,
Springer, vol. 29(3), pages 235-247, June.
- Gardebroek, Cornelis & Oude Lansink, Alfons G.J.M., 2008. "Dynamic Microeconometric Approaches To Analysing Agricultural Policy," 107th Seminar, January 30-February 1, 2008, Sevilla, Spain 6592, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Kao, Chiang, 2013. "Dynamic data envelopment analysis: A relational analysis," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 227(2), pages 325-330.
- Elvira Silva & Alfons Oude Lansink, 2013. "Dynamic Efficiency Measurement: A Directional Distance Function Approach," CEF.UP Working Papers 1307, Universidade do Porto, Faculdade de Economia do Porto.
- Pierre Ouellette & Valérie Vierstraete, 2008. "Malmquist indexes with quasi-fixed inputs: An application to school districts in Québec," Cahiers de recherche 08-25, Departement d'Economique de la Faculte d'administration à l'Universite de Sherbrooke.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.