Preferences for Eerly Retirement among Older Government Employees in Egypt
AbstractThe objective of this study is to determine the factors affecting the early retirement preferences of Egyptian government sector employees. In line with the existing literature, we consider the possibility that the early retirement and post-retirement employment decisions are made jointly. We do this by estimating a recursive bivariate probit model in which the endogenous âpost-retirement work'' variable is among the explanatory variables in the âearly retirement'' equation. Estimation results based on a 2005 survey reveal that the two decisions are in fact correlated. As expected, people who plan to work after retirement are more likely to choose early retirement.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Pittsburgh, Department of Economics in its series Working Papers with number 335.
Date of creation: Feb 2007
Date of revision: Feb 2008
Other versions of this item:
- Cem Baslevent & Fatma El-hamidi, 2009. "Preferences for early retirement among older government employees in Egypt," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 29(2), pages 554-565.
- J0 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - General
- C3 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AGE-2008-02-16 (Economics of Ageing)
- NEP-ALL-2008-02-16 (All new papers)
- NEP-CWA-2008-02-16 (Central & Western Asia)
- NEP-LAB-2008-02-16 (Labour Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Stock, J.H. & Wise, D.A., 1988.
"Pensions, The Option Value Of Work, And Retirement,"
e-88-28, Hoover Institution, Stanford University.
- Stock, James H & Wise, David A, 1990. "Pensions, the Option Value of Work, and Retirement," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 58(5), pages 1151-80, September.
- James H. Stock & David A. Wise, 1988. "Pensions, The Option Value of Work, and Retirement," NBER Working Papers 2686, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- James J. Heckman, 1977.
"Dummy Endogenous Variables in a Simultaneous Equation System,"
NBER Working Papers
0177, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Heckman, James J, 1978. "Dummy Endogenous Variables in a Simultaneous Equation System," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(4), pages 931-59, July.
- Meghir, Costas & Whitehouse, Edward, 1996. "The Evolution of Wages in the United Kingdom: Evidence from Micro Data," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 14(1), pages 1-25, January.
- Boskin, Michael J, 1977. "Social Security and Retirement Decisions," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 15(1), pages 1-25, January.
- Wilde, Joachim, 2000. "Identification of multiple equation probit models with endogenous dummy regressors," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 69(3), pages 309-312, December.
- Gary S. Fields & Olivia S. Mitchell, 1984.
"The Effects of Social Security Reforms on Retirement Ages and RetirementIncomes,"
NBER Working Papers
1348, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Fields, Gary S. & Mitchell, Olivia S., 1984. "The effects of social security reforms on retirement ages and retirement incomes," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(1-2), pages 143-159, November.
- Joseph F. Quinn & Richard V. Burkhauser & Daniel A. Myers, 1990. "Passing the Torch: The Influence of Economic Incentives on Work and Retirement," Books from Upjohn Press, W.E. Upjohn Institute for Employment Research, number pt, October.
- Burtless, Gary & Moffitt, Robert A, 1985. "The Joint Choice of Retirement Age and Postretirement Hours of Work," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 3(2), pages 209-36, April.
- J. David Brown & Julie L. Hotchkiss & Myriam Quispe-Agnoli, 2008. "Undocumented worker employment and firm survivability," Working Paper 2008-28, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Alistair Wilson).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.