Productivity Measurement: Alternative Approaches and Estimates
AbstractThis paper provides a review of conceptual and methodological issues in measuring productivity. Attention is given to the concept of productivity and the relationship between productivity and technological change. Different approaches to measuring productivity are surveyed and the results from a number of NZ productivity studies are summarised. The availability of appropriate input and output data is essential for the accurate measurement of productivity and therefore this paper also discusses some important data issues that influence productivity measurement.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by New Zealand Treasury in its series Treasury Working Paper Series with number 03/12.
Length: 37 pages
Date of creation: Mar 2003
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: New Zealand Treasury, PO Box 3724, Wellington, New Zealand
Phone: +64-4-472 2733
Fax: +64-4-473 0982
Web page: http://www.treasury.govt.nz
More information through EDIRC
Productivity; Measurement Issues; New Zealand; Technological Change;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- O30 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - General
- O47 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Growth and Aggregate Productivity - - - Measurement of Economic Growth; Aggregate Productivity; Cross-Country Output Convergence
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-EFF-2003-07-29 (Efficiency & Productivity)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Melleny Black & Melody Guy & Nathan McLellan, 2003.
"Productivity in New Zealand 1988 to 2002,"
Treasury Working Paper Series
03/06, New Zealand Treasury.
- Caves, Douglas W & Christensen, Laurits R & Diewert, W Erwin, 1982. "Multilateral Comparisons of Output, Input, and Productivity Using Superlative Index Numbers," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 92(365), pages 73-86, March.
- Caves, Douglas W & Christensen, Laurits R & Diewert, W Erwin, 1982. "The Economic Theory of Index Numbers and the Measurement of Input, Output, and Productivity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(6), pages 1393-1414, November.
- Barro, Robert J, 1999.
" Notes on Growth Accounting,"
Journal of Economic Growth,
Springer, vol. 4(2), pages 119-37, June.
- Kenneth I. Carlaw & Richard G. Lipsey, 2003. "Productivity, Technology and Economic Growth: What is the Relationship?," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 17(3), pages 457-495, 07.
- Shilpa Chaudhary, 2012. "Trends in Total Factor Productivity in Indian Agriculture: State-level Evidence using non-parametric Sequential Malmquist Index," Working papers 215, Centre for Development Economics, Delhi School of Economics.
- Ghebremichael, Asghedom & Potter-Witter, Karen, 2009. "Effects of tax incentives on long-run capital formation and total factor productivity growth in the Canadian sawmilling industry," Forest Policy and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 11(2), pages 85-94, March.
- Athanasoglou, Panayiotis P. & Georgiou, Evangelia A. & Staikouras, Christos C., 2009.
"Assessing output and productivity growth in the banking industry,"
The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 49(4), pages 1317-1340, November.
- Panayiotis P. Athanasoglou & Evangelia A. Georgiou & Christos C. Staikouras, 2008. "Assessing Output and Productivity Growth in the Banking Industry," Working Papers 92, Bank of Greece.
- Athanasoglou, Panayiotis & Georgiou, Evangelia & Staikouras, Christos, 2008. "Assessing output and productivity growth in the banking industry," MPRA Paper 31996, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Simon Baptist & Cameron Hepburn, 2012. "Intermediate inputs and economic productivity," Grantham Research Institute on Climate Change and the Environment Working Papers 95, Grantham Research Institute on Climate Change and the Environment.
- Andrés Maroto-Sanchez, 2010. "Growth and productivity in the service sector: The state of the art," Working Papers 07/10, Instituto Universitario de Análisis Económico y Social.
- Wang, Jintian & Gao, Feng & Wang, Xuezhen, 2009. "Estimation of Agricultural Total Factor Productivity in China: A Panel Cointegration Approach," 2009 Conference, August 16-22, 2009, Beijing, China 50927, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Kevin J Fox, 2005. "Returns to Scale, Technical Progress and Total Factor Productivity Growth in New Zealand Industries," Treasury Working Paper Series 05/04, New Zealand Treasury.
- Nathan McLellan, 2004. "Measuring Productivity using the Index Number Approach: An Introduction," Treasury Working Paper Series 04/05, New Zealand Treasury.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Web and Publishing Team, The Treasury).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.