Growth and productivity in the service sector: The state of the art
AbstractLiterature on growth accounting has generally introduced productivity to explain the growth of services. One of the most conventional statements in economics, with regard to the services sector suggests that, as a whole, this sector has a lower productivity level than the other productive sectors, and that its growth is always quite slow. Such a statement is based initially on the personal nature of many services, which makes it difficult to substitute the work for capital factor and the incorporation of technical progress. From this approach we can derive the relative lower productivity in some advanced economies (such as the European countries versus the United States and some particular emergent economies) as an explanation of the growth of the tertiary sector. In this working paper, we will look in greater depth at issues related to services productivity, from conceptual aspects regarding the definition and meaning of productivity, to methodological and measurement of services productivity. This paper is essentially a necessary state of the art of relationships between economic growth and productivity within services sector, reviewing not only the conventional literature but also those new waves of thinking.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Instituto Universitario de Análisis Económico y Social in its series Working Papers with number 07/10.
Length: 50 pages
Date of creation: Jul 2010
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Plaza de la Victoria, 2 C.P. 28802, Alcalá de Henares
Phone: (00 34) 91 885 52 25
Fax: (00 34) 91 885 52 11
Web page: http://www.iaes.es
More information through EDIRC
Services; Productivity; Structural Change; Economic Growth;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sergio Rebelo & Piyabha Kongsamut & Danyang Xie, 2001.
"Beyond Balanced Growth,"
IMF Working Papers
01/85, International Monetary Fund.
- Kongsamut, Piyabha & Rebelo, Sérgio & Xie, Danyang, 1997. "Beyond Balanced Growth," CEPR Discussion Papers 1693, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Piyabha Kongsamut & Sergio Rebelo & Danyang Xie, 1997. "Beyond Balanced Growth," NBER Working Papers 6159, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kongsamut, P. & Rebelo, S. & Xie, D., 1997. "Beyong Balanced Growth," RCER Working Papers 438, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Metcalfe, J S, 1994. "Competition, Fisher's Principle and Increasing Returns in the Selection Process," Journal of Evolutionary Economics, Springer, vol. 4(4), pages 327-46, November.
- Oulton, Nicholas, 2001.
"Must the Growth Rate Decline? Baumol's Unbalanced Growth Revisited,"
Oxford Economic Papers,
Oxford University Press, vol. 53(4), pages 605-27, October.
- Nicholas Oulton, 2000. "Must the growth rate decline? Baumol's unbalanced growth revisited," Bank of England working papers 107, Bank of England.
- Antonio Ciccone & Robert E. Hall, 1993.
"Productivity and the Density of Economic Activity,"
NBER Working Papers
4313, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ernst R. Berndt & Zvi Griliches & Neal Rappaport, 1993. "Econometric Estimates of Prices Indexes for Personal Computers in the 1990s," NBER Working Papers 4549, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Colwell, R J & Davis, E P, 1992. " Output and Productivity in Banking," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 94(0), pages S111-29, Supplemen.
- Fagerberg, Jan, 2000.
"Technological progress, structural change and productivity growth: a comparative study,"
Structural Change and Economic Dynamics,
Elsevier, vol. 11(4), pages 393-411, December.
- Jan Fagerberg, 2000. "Technological Progress, Structural Change and Productivity Growth: A Comparative Study," Working Papers 5, Centre for Technology, Innovation and Culture, University of Oslo.
- Nelson, Randy A & Tanguay, Tim L & Patterson, Christopher D, 1994. "A Quality-Adjusted Price Index for Personal Computers," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 12(1), pages 23-31, January.
- Aghion, P. & Howitt, P., 1989.
"A Model Of Growth Through Creative Destruction,"
527, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Philippe Aghion & Peter Howitt, 1990. "A Model of Growth Through Creative Destruction," NBER Working Papers 3223, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Aghion, P. & Howitt, P., 1990. "A Model Of Growth Through Creative Destruction," DELTA Working Papers 90-12, DELTA (Ecole normale supérieure).
- Aghion, P. & Howitt, P., 1989. "A Model Of Growth Through Creative Destruction," UWO Department of Economics Working Papers 8904, University of Western Ontario, Department of Economics.
- Reto Foellmi & Josef Zweilmueller, 2006.
"Structural Change and the Kaldor Facts of Economic Growth,"
2006 Meeting Papers
342, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Reto Foellmi & Josef Zweimüller, . "Structural Change and the Kaldor Facts of Economic Growth," IEW - Working Papers 111, Institute for Empirical Research in Economics - University of Zurich.
- Foellmi, Reto & Zweimüller, Josef, 2002. "Structural Change and the Kaldor Facts of Economic Growth," CEPR Discussion Papers 3300, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Foellmi, Reto & Zweimüller, Josef, 2002. "Structural Change and the Kaldor Facts of Economic Growth," IZA Discussion Papers 472, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Aghion, Philippe & Howitt, Peter, 1992. "A Model of Growth Through Creative Destruction," Scholarly Articles 12490578, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Jochen Hartwig, 2008. "Productivity Growth In Service Industries: Are The Transatlantic Differences Measurement-Driven?," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 54(3), pages 494-505, 09.
- Rashmi Banga & B.N.Goldar, 2004. "Contribution of services to output growth and productivity in Indian manufacturing: Pre and post reforms," Indian Council for Research on International Economic Relations, New Delhi Working Papers 139, Indian Council for Research on International Economic Relations, New Delhi, India.
- Nadim Ahmad & François Lequiller & Pascal Marianna & Dirk Pilat & Paul Schreyer & Anita Wölfl, 2003.
"Comparing Labour Productivity Growth in the OECD Area: The Role of Measurement,"
OECD Statistics Working Papers
2003/5, OECD Publishing.
- Nadim Ahmad & François Lequiller & Pascal Marianna & Dirk Pilat & Paul Schreyer & Anita Wölfl, 2003. "Comparing Labour Productivity Growth in the OECD Area: The Role of Measurement," OECD Science, Technology and Industry Working Papers 2003/14, OECD Publishing.
- Dosi, Giovanni & Nelson, Richard R, 1994. "An Introduction to Evolutionary Theories in Economics," Journal of Evolutionary Economics, Springer, vol. 4(3), pages 153-72, September.
- Metcalfe, John S. & Foster, John & Ramlogan, Ronnie, 2003.
"Adaptive Economic Growth,"
Centre on Regulation and Competition (CRC) Working papers
30637, University of Manchester, Institute for Development Policy and Management (IDPM).
- Robert L. Mansell, 1985. "The Service Sector and Western Economic Growth," Canadian Public Policy, University of Toronto Press, vol. 11(s1), pages 354-360, July.
- Dosi, Giovanni, 1988. "Sources, Procedures, and Microeconomic Effects of Innovation," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 26(3), pages 1120-71, September.
- Wolff, Edward N, 1985. "Industrial Composition, Interindustry Effects, and the U.S. Productivity Slowdown," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 67(2), pages 268-77, May.
- Erik S. Reinert, .
"Competitiveness and its predecessors - a 500-year cross-national perspective,"
STEP Report series
199403, The STEP Group, Studies in technology, innovation and economic policy.
- Reinert, Erik S., 1995. "Competitiveness and its predecessors--a 500-year cross-national perspective," Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 23-42, March.
- Reinert, Erik S., 1994. "Competitiveness and its predecessors - a 500-year cross-national perspective," MPRA Paper 48155, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- D. C. A. Curtis & K. S. R. Murthy, 1998. "Economic growth and restructuring: a test of unbalanced growth models - 1977-1992," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 5(12), pages 777-780.
- Timothy Dunne & Mark J. Roberts & Larry Samuelson, 1988.
"Patterns of Firm Entry and Exit in U.S. Manufacturing Industries,"
RAND Journal of Economics,
The RAND Corporation, vol. 19(4), pages 495-515, Winter.
- Dunne, T. & Roberts, M.J. & Samuelson, L., 1988. "Pattenrs Of Firm Entry And Exit In U.S. Manufacturing Industries," Papers 1-88-2, Pennsylvania State - Department of Economics.
- Peter Howitt, 2000. "Endogenous Growth and Cross-Country Income Differences," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 90(4), pages 829-846, September.
- Nelson, Richard R & Wright, Gavin, 1992. "The Rise and Fall of American Technological Leadership: The Postwar Era in Historical Perspective," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 30(4), pages 1931-64, December.
- Martin Neil Baily & Robert J. Gordon, 1988. "The Productivity Slowdown, Measurement Issues, and the Explosion of Computer Power," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 19(2), pages 347-432.
- Gustavo Crespi & Chiara Criscuolo & Jonathan Haskel & Denise Hawkes, 2006. "Measuring and Understanding Productivity in UK Market Services," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 22(4), pages 560-572, Winter.
- Steven N. Durlauf, 1991.
"Nonergodic Economic Growth,"
NBER Working Papers
3719, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Peter Mawson & Kenneth I Carlaw & Nathan McLellan, 2003. "Productivity Measurement: Alternative Approaches and Estimates," Treasury Working Paper Series 03/12, New Zealand Treasury.
- Samuel S. Kortum, 1997. "Research, Patenting, and Technological Change," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 65(6), pages 1389-1420, November.
- S. Necmi, 1999. "Kaldor's growth analysis revisited," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 31(5), pages 653-660.
- Luis Rubalcaba, 2007. "Services in European Policies," Bruges European Economic Policy Briefings 16, European Economic Studies Department, College of Europe.
- John C. Haltiwanger, 1997. "Measuring and analyzing aggregate fluctuations: the importance of building from microeconomic evidence," Review, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, issue May, pages 55-78.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Laura Suarez).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.