International benchmarking of electricity distribution utilities
AbstractBenchmarking by means of applying the DEA model is appearing as an interesting alternative for regulators under the new regimes for electricity distributors. A sample of large electricity distribution utilities from Denmark, Finland, Norway, Sweden and the Netherlands for the year 1997 is studied by assuming a common production frontier for all countries. The peers supporting the benchmark frontier are from all countries. New indexes describing cross country connections between peers and their inefficient units are developed, as well as productivity measurements between units from different countries.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Resource and Energy Economics.
Volume (Year): 25 (2003)
Issue (Month): 4 (October)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/505569
Other versions of this item:
- Dag Fjeld Edvardsen & Finn R. Førsund, 2001. "International benchmarking of electricity distribution utilities," ICER Working Papers 08-2002, ICER - International Centre for Economic Research.
- Førsund, Finn R & Edvardsen, Dag F., 2001. "International Benchmarking of Electricity Distribution Utilities," Memorandum 35/2001, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
- C43 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods: Special Topics - - - Index Numbers and Aggregation
- C61 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Mathematical Methods; Programming Models; Mathematical and Simulation Modeling - - - Optimization Techniques; Programming Models; Dynamic Analysis
- D24 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Production; Cost; Capital; Capital, Total Factor, and Multifactor Productivity; Capacity
- L94 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Transportation and Utilities - - - Electric Utilities
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Finn R. Førsund, 2002. "On the circularity of the Malmquist productivity index," ICER Working Papers 29-2002, ICER - International Centre for Economic Research.
- Berg, Sigbjorn Atle & Forsund, Finn R & Jansen, Eilev S, 1992. " Malmquist Indices of Productivity Growth during the Deregulation of Norwegian Banking, 1980-89," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 94(0), pages S211-28, Supplemen.
- Berg, Sigbjorn Atle & Forsund, Finn R. & Hjalmarsson, Lennart & Suominen, Matti, 1993. "Banking efficiency in the Nordic countries," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 17(2-3), pages 371-388, April.
- Schaffnit, Claire & Rosen, Dan & Paradi, Joseph C., 1997. "Best practice analysis of bank branches: An application of DEA in a large Canadian bank," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 98(2), pages 269-289, April.
- Jamasb, T. & Pollitt, M., 2000. "Benchmarking and regulation: international electricity experience," Utilities Policy, Elsevier, vol. 9(3), pages 107-130, September.
- Charnes, A. & Cooper, W. W. & Rhodes, E., 1978. "Measuring the efficiency of decision making units," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 2(6), pages 429-444, November.
- Caves, Douglas W & Christensen, Laurits R & Diewert, W Erwin, 1982. "The Economic Theory of Index Numbers and the Measurement of Input, Output, and Productivity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(6), pages 1393-1414, November.
- Per Andersen & Niels Christian Petersen, 1993. "A Procedure for Ranking Efficient Units in Data Envelopment Analysis," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 39(10), pages 1261-1264, October.
- Hjalmarsson, Lennart & Veiderpass, Ann, 1992. " Productivity in Swedish Electricity Retail Distribution," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 94(0), pages S193-205, Supplemen.
- Caves, Douglas W & Christensen, Laurits R & Diewert, W Erwin, 1982. "Multilateral Comparisons of Output, Input, and Productivity Using Superlative Index Numbers," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 92(365), pages 73-86, March.
- Kittelsen, S.A.C., 1993. "Stepwise DEA; Choosing Variables for Measuring Technical Efficiency in Norwegian Electricity Distribution," Memorandum 06/1993, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
- Førsund, Finn R. & Kittelsen, Sverre A. C., 1998. "Productivity development of Norwegian electricity distribution utilities," Resource and Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 207-224, September.
- Reichmann, Gerhard & Sommersguter-Reichmann, Margit, 2006. "University library benchmarking: An international comparison using DEA," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 100(1), pages 131-147, March.
- Christian Growitsch & T. Jamasb & M. Pollitt, 2005.
"Quality of Service, Efficiency, and Scale in Network Industries: An Analysis of European Electricity Distribution,"
IWH Discussion Papers
3, Halle Institute for Economic Research.
- Christian Growitsch & Tooraj Jamasb & Michael Pollitt, 2009. "Quality of service, efficiency and scale in network industries: an analysis of European electricity distribution," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 41(20), pages 2555-2570.
- Christian Growitsch & Jamasb, T. & Pollitt, M., 2005. "Quality of Service, Efficiency and Scale in Network Industries: An analysis of European electricity distribution," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 0538, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Kuosmanen, Timo, 2012. "Stochastic semi-nonparametric frontier estimation of electricity distribution networks: Application of the StoNED method in the Finnish regulatory model," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(6), pages 2189-2199.
- Edvardsen, Dag Fjeld & Føsund, Finn R. & Kittelsen, Sverre A.C., 2009. "Far out or alone in the crowd: Classification of selfevaluators in DEA," HERO On line Working Paper Series 2003:7, Oslo University, Health Economics Research Programme.
- Kinnunen, Kaisa, 2006. "Investment incentives: regulation of the Finnish electricity distribution," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(7), pages 853-862, May.
- Sadjadi, S.J. & Omrani, H., 2008. "Data envelopment analysis with uncertain data: An application for Iranian electricity distribution companies," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(11), pages 4247-4254, November.
- Førsund, Finn R. & Kittelsen, Sverre A.C & Lindseth, Frode, 2005. "Efficiency And Productivity Of Norwegian Tax Offices," Memorandum 29/2005, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
- Jinchao Li & Jinying Li & Fengting Zheng, 2014. "Unified Efficiency Measurement of Electric Power Supply Companies in China," Sustainability, MDPI, Open Access Journal, vol. 6(2), pages 779-793, February.
- Zhang, Xing-Ping & Cheng, Xiao-Mei & Yuan, Jia-Hai & Gao, Xiao-Jun, 2011. "Total-factor energy efficiency in developing countries," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(2), pages 644-650, February.
- Dag Edvardsen & Finn Førsund & Sverre Kittelsen, 2008. "Far out or alone in the crowd: a taxonomy of peers in DEA," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 29(3), pages 201-210, June.
- Azadeh, A. & Ghaderi, S.F. & Omrani, H. & Eivazy, H., 2009. "An integrated DEA-COLS-SFA algorithm for optimization and policy making of electricity distribution units," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(7), pages 2605-2618, July.
- Roberto Gómez-Calvet & David Conesa & Ana Rosa Gómez-Calvet & Emili Tortosa-Ausina, 2013. "Energy efficiency in the European Union: What can be learned from the joint application of directional distance functions and slacks-based measures?," Working Papers 2013/17, Economics Department, Universitat Jaume I, Castellón (Spain).
- Aldea, Anamaria & Ciobanu, Anamaria & Stancu, Ion, 2012. "The Renewable Energy Development: A Nonparametric Efficiency Analysis," Journal for Economic Forecasting, Institute for Economic Forecasting, vol. 0(1), pages 5-19, March.
- Kittelsen, Sverre A.C. & Persson, Benny Adam & Rehnberg, Clas & Anthun, Kjartan S. & Goude, Fanny & Rättö, Hanna & Hope, Øyvind & Häkkinen, Unto & Medin, Emma & Kalseth, Birgitte & Kilsmark, Janni, 2014. "Decomposing the productivity differences between hospitals in the Nordic countries," HERO On line Working Paper Series 2013:4, Oslo University, Health Economics Research Programme.
- Victoria Kravtsova, 2008. "Foreign presence and efficiency in transition economies," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 29(2), pages 91-102, April.
- Azadeh, A. & Ghaderi, S.F. & Omrani, H., 2009. "A deterministic approach for performance assessment and optimization of power distribution units in Iran," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(1), pages 274-280, January.
- Briec, Walter & Peypoch, Nicolas & Ratsimbanierana, Hermann, 2011. "Productivity growth and biased technological change in hydroelectric dams," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(5), pages 853-858, September.
- Hu, Jin-Li & Kao, Chih-Hung, 2007. "Efficient energy-saving targets for APEC economies," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 373-382, January.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.