Productivity development of Norwegian electricity distribution utilities
AbstractWhen regulating electricity distribution utilities, estimates of the past productivity improvement performance are very important for future requirements. A piecewise linear frontier technology, reflecting observed best practice, accommodating the multi-output nature of distribution utilities is specified. A Malmquist index and its components, shift in frontier technology and change in efficiency, have been calculated for the period 1983 to 1989. The main results are a positive productivity growth averaging nearly 2% per year, and that this is mainly due to frontier technology shift. Outliers are scrutinised, but do not influence results for non-outliers.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Resource and Energy Economics.
Volume (Year): 20 (1998)
Issue (Month): 3 (September)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/505569
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rajiv D. Banker, 1993. "Maximum Likelihood, Consistency and Data Envelopment Analysis: A Statistical Foundation," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 39(10), pages 1265-1273, October.
- Charnes, A. & Cooper, W. W. & Rhodes, E., 1978. "Measuring the efficiency of decision making units," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 2(6), pages 429-444, November.
- Førsund, Finn R. & Hjalmarsson, Lennart, 1978.
"Generalized Farrell Measures of Efficiency: An Application to Milk Processing in Swedish Dairy Plants,"
Working Paper Series
17, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Forsund, Finn R & Hjalmarsson, Lennart, 1979. "Generalised Farrell Measures of Efficiency: An Application to Milk Processing in Swedish Dairy Plants," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 89(354), pages 294-315, June.
- Fare, Rolf & Grosskopf, Shawna & Yaisawarng, Suthathip & Li, Sung Ko & Wang, Zhaoping, 1990. "Productivity growth in Illinois electric utilities," Resources and Energy, Elsevier, vol. 12(4), pages 383-398, December.
- Grosskopf, S, 1986. "The Role of the Reference Technology in Measuring Productive Efficiency," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 96(382), pages 499-513, June.
- Caves, Douglas W & Christensen, Laurits R & Diewert, W Erwin, 1982. "The Economic Theory of Index Numbers and the Measurement of Input, Output, and Productivity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(6), pages 1393-1414, November.
- Kittelsen, S.A.C., 1993. "Stepwise DEA; Choosing Variables for Measuring Technical Efficiency in Norwegian Electricity Distribution," Memorandum 06/1993, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
- Hjalmarsson, Lennart & Veiderpass, Ann, 1992. " Productivity in Swedish Electricity Retail Distribution," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 94(0), pages S193-205, Supplemen.
- Berg, Sigbjorn Atle & Forsund, Finn R. & Hjalmarsson, Lennart & Suominen, Matti, 1993. "Banking efficiency in the Nordic countries," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 17(2-3), pages 371-388, April.
- Peter Bogetoft, 1994. "Incentive Efficient Production Frontiers: An Agency Perspective on DEA," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 40(8), pages 959-968, August.
- Berg, Sigbjorn Atle & Forsund, Finn R & Jansen, Eilev S, 1992. " Malmquist Indices of Productivity Growth during the Deregulation of Norwegian Banking, 1980-89," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 94(0), pages S211-28, Supplemen.
This item has more than 25 citations. To prevent cluttering this page, these citations are listed on a separate page. reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wendy Shamier).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.