A cross-national comparison and taxonomy of DEA-based hospital efficiency studies
AbstractThis paper provides the first taxonomy of hospital efficiency studies that uses data envelopment analysis (DEA) and related techniques. We provide a systematic review of 79 such studies published from 1984-2004 that represent 12 countries. Only studies written in English are considered. A cross-national comparison reveals significant differences with respect to important study characteristics such as type of DEA model selected and choice of input and output categories. Compared with US studies, European efforts are more likely to measure allocative rather than technical efficiency, use longitudinal data, and use fewer observations. We take a longitudinal perspective that illustrates the life cycle of this research, as well as its diffusion across disciplines. Our taxonomy can be used by policy makers and researchers to review past, and assemble new, DEA models.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Socio-Economic Planning Sciences.
Volume (Year): 42 (2008)
Issue (Month): 3 (September)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/seps
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Margit Sommersguter-Reichmann, 2000. "The impact of the Austrian hospital financing reform on hospital productivity: empirical evidence on efficiency and technology changes using a non-parametric input-based Malmquist approach," Health Care Management Science, Springer, vol. 3(4), pages 309-321, September.
- Rajiv D. Banker, 1993. "Maximum Likelihood, Consistency and Data Envelopment Analysis: A Statistical Foundation," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 39(10), pages 1265-1273, October.
- David Parkin & Bruce Hollingsworth, 1997. "Measuring production efficiency of acute hospitals in Scotland, 1991-94: validity issues in data envelopment analysis," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 29(11), pages 1425-1433.
- Zuckerman, Stephen & Hadley, Jack & Iezzoni, Lisa, 1994. "Measuring hospital efficiency with frontier cost functions," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 255-280, October.
- Ondrich, Jan & Ruggiero, John, 2001. "Efficiency measurement in the stochastic frontier model," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 129(2), pages 434-442, March.
- Giokas, Dimitris I., 2001. "Greek hospitals: how well their resources are used," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 73-83, February.
- Kooreman, Peter, 1994. "Data envelopment analysis and parametric frontier estimation: complementary tools," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 345-346, October.
- Charnes, A. & Cooper, W. W. & Rhodes, E., 1978. "Measuring the efficiency of decision making units," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 2(6), pages 429-444, November.
- Chirikos, Thomas N. & Sear, Alan M., 1994. "Technical efficiency and the competitive behavior of hospitals," Socio-Economic Planning Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 28(4), pages 219-227, December.
- Grosskopf, Shawna & Margaritis, Dimitri & Valdmanis, Vivian, 2001. "The effects of teaching on hospital productivity," Socio-Economic Planning Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 35(3), pages 189-204, September.
- Diego Prior & Magda Solà, 2000. "Technical efficiency and economies of diversification in health care," Health Care Management Science, Springer, vol. 3(4), pages 299-307, September.
- Grosskopf, Shawna & Margaritis, Dimitri & Valdmanis, Vivian, 2004. "Competitive effects on teaching hospitals," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 154(2), pages 515-525, April.
- Puig-Junoy, Jaume, 2000. "Partitioning input cost efficiency into its allocative and technical components: an empirical DEA application to hospitals," Socio-Economic Planning Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 34(3), pages 199-218, September.
- Bruce Hollingsworth & P.J. Dawson & N. Maniadakis, 1999. "Efficiency measurement of health care: a review of non‐parametric methods and applications," Health Care Management Science, Springer, vol. 2(3), pages 161-172, July.
- Miika Linna, 1998. "Measuring hospital cost efficiency with panel data models," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 7(5), pages 415-427.
- Rajiv D. Banker & Robert F. Conrad & Robert P. Strauss, 1986. "A Comparative Application of Data Envelopment Analysis and Translog Methods: An Illustrative Study of Hospital Production," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 32(1), pages 30-44, January.
- Newhouse, Joseph P., 1994. "Frontier estimation: How useful a tool for health economics?," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 317-322, October.
- Aigner, Dennis & Lovell, C. A. Knox & Schmidt, Peter, 1977. "Formulation and estimation of stochastic frontier production function models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 21-37, July.
- Grosskopf, S. & Valdmanis, V., 1987. "Measuring hospital performance : A non-parametric approach," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 6(2), pages 89-107, June.
- Ouellette, Pierre & Vierstraete, Valerie, 2004. "Technological change and efficiency in the presence of quasi-fixed inputs: A DEA application to the hospital sector," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 154(3), pages 755-763, May.
- R. D. Banker & A. Charnes & W. W. Cooper, 1984. "Some Models for Estimating Technical and Scale Inefficiencies in Data Envelopment Analysis," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 30(9), pages 1078-1092, September.
- Maniadakis, Nikolaos & Thanassoulis, Emmanuel, 2004. "A cost Malmquist productivity index," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 154(2), pages 396-409, April.
- Retzlaff-Roberts, Donna L. & Morey, Richard C., 1993. "A goal-programming method of stochastic allocative data envelopment analysis," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 71(3), pages 379-397, December.
- Kooreman, P., 1994. "Data envelopment analysis and parametric frontier estimation: Complementary tools," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-377581, Tilburg University.
- Beatriz Gonzalez Lopez-Valcarcel & Patricia Barber Perez, 1996. "Changes in the efficiency of spanish public hospitals after the introduction of program-contracts," Investigaciones Economicas, Fundación SEPI, vol. 20(3), pages 377-402, September.
- Athanassopoulos, Antreas & Gounaris, Chrysostomos, 2001. "Assessing the technical and allocative efficiency of hospital operations in Greece and its resource allocation implications," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 133(2), pages 416-431, January.
- Eulália Dalmau-Atarrodona & Jaume Puig-Junoy, 1998. "Market Structure and Hospital Efficiency: Evaluating Potential Effects of Deregulation in a National Health Service," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 13(4), pages 447-466, August.
- Valdmanis, Vivian, 1992. "Sensitivity analysis for DEA models : An empirical example using public vs. NFP hospitals," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 48(2), pages 185-205, July.
- Gillian McCallion & J. Colin Glass & Robert Jackson & Christine Kerr & Donal McKillop, 2000. "Investigating productivity change and hospital size: a nonparametric frontier approach," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 32(2), pages 161-174.
- Banker, Rajiv D. & Thrall, R. M., 1992. "Estimation of returns to scale using data envelopment analysis," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 62(1), pages 74-84, October.
- Ozcan, Yasar A., 1995. "Efficiency of hospital service production in local markets: The balance sheet of U.S. medical armament," Socio-Economic Planning Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 139-150, June.
- Lee Rivers Mobley & Jon Magnussen, 1998. "An international comparison of hospital efficiency: does institutional environment matter?," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 30(8), pages 1089-1100.
- Caves, Douglas W & Christensen, Laurits R & Diewert, W Erwin, 1982. "The Economic Theory of Index Numbers and the Measurement of Input, Output, and Productivity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(6), pages 1393-1414, November.
- Gillian McCallion & Donal G. McKillop & J. Colin Glass & Christine Kerr, 1999. "Rationalizing Northern Ireland Hospital Services Towards Larger Providers: Best-Practice Efficiency Studies and Current Policy," Public Money & Management, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 19(2), pages 27-32, April.
- Maindiratta, Ajay, 1990. "Largest size-efficient scale and size efficiencies of decision-making units in data envelopment analysis," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 46(1-2), pages 57-72.
- James F. Burgess, Jr. & Paul W. Wilson, 1996. "Hospital Ownership and Technical Inefficiency," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 42(1), pages 110-123, January.
- Nikolaos Maniadakis & Emmanuel Thanassoulis, 2000. "Assessing productivity changes in UK hospitals reflecting technology and input prices," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 32(12), pages 1575-1589.
- Gattoufi, Said & Oral, Muhittin & Kumar, Ashok & Reisman, Arnold, 2004. "Epistemology of data envelopment analysis and comparison with other fields of OR/MS for relevance to applications," Socio-Economic Planning Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 38(2-3), pages 123-140.
- Morey, RC & Fine, DJ & Loree, SW, 1990. "Comparing the allocative efficiencies of hospitals," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 71-83.
- Chang, Hsi-Hui, 1998. "Determinants of Hospital Efficiency: the Case of Central Government-owned Hospitals in Taiwan," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 26(2), pages 307-317, April.
- Hu, Hsin-Hui & Qi, Qinghui & Yang, Chih-Hai, 2012. "Analysis of hospital technical efficiency in China: Effect of health insurance reform," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 23(4), pages 865-877.
- Kostas Kounetas & Fotis Papathanassopoulos, 2013. "How efficient are Greek hospitals? A case study using a double bootstrap DEA approach," The European Journal of Health Economics, Springer, vol. 14(6), pages 979-994, December.
- Kreng, Victor B. & Yang, Chi-Tien, 2011. "The equality of resource allocation in health care under the National Health Insurance System in Taiwan," Health Policy, Elsevier, vol. 100(2), pages 203-210.
- Ng, Ying Chu, 2011. "The productive efficiency of Chinese hospitals," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 22(3), pages 428-439, September.
- Panagiotis Mitropoulos & Ioannis Mitropoulos & Aris Sissouras, 2013. "Managing for efficiency in health care: the case of Greek public hospitals," The European Journal of Health Economics, Springer, vol. 14(6), pages 929-938, December.
- Productivity Commission, 2009. "Public and Private Hospitals," Research Reports, Productivity Commission, Government of Australia, number 37.
- Seijas Díaz , Amparo & Iglesias Gómez , Guillermo, 2013. "Evolution of productivity and relation with satisfaction in hospital care and specialized care of Autonomous Communities Health Systems," Investigaciones Regionales, Asociación Española de Ciencia Regional, issue 27, pages 7-32.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.