House Prices, Wealth Effects and Labour Supply
AbstractWe examine the impact of housing wealth on labour supply using exogenous local variations in house prices and household panel data for Britain. Our analysis controls for variations in local labour demand and income expectations which might co-determine house prices and labour supply. We find significant effects of house price variations on labour supply, consistent with leisure being a normal good. Labour supply is particularly sensitive to house prices among the young and older men. Our findings imply that housing wealth losses may have contributed to the unexpectedly high rates of labour market activity in Britain during the Great Recession.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Nottingham, School of Economics in its series Discussion Papers with number 13/02.
Date of creation: Feb 2013
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: School of Economics University of Nottingham University Park Nottingham NG7 2RD
Phone: (44) 0115 951 5620
Fax: (0115) 951 4159
Web page: http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/economics/
More information through EDIRC
Labour supply; Wealth effects; House prices JEL codes: E51; E52; F31; F33;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- Hou - Public Economics - - - - -
- pri - - - - - -
- JEL - Labor and Demographic Economics - - - - -
- cod - - - - - -
- E51 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Monetary Policy, Central Banking, and the Supply of Money and Credit - - - Money Supply; Credit; Money Multipliers
- E52 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Monetary Policy, Central Banking, and the Supply of Money and Credit - - - Monetary Policy
- F31 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Foreign Exchange
- F33 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - International Monetary Arrangements and Institutions
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2013-07-20 (All new papers)
- NEP-EUR-2013-07-20 (Microeconomic European Issues)
- NEP-LMA-2013-07-20 (Labor Markets - Supply, Demand, & Wages)
- NEP-MAC-2013-07-20 (Macroeconomics)
- NEP-URE-2013-07-20 (Urban & Real Estate Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Christopher D. Carroll & Misuzu Otsuka & Jiri Slacalek, 2011.
"How Large Are Housing and Financial Wealth Effects? A New Approach,"
Journal of Money, Credit and Banking,
Blackwell Publishing, vol. 43(1), pages 55-79, 02.
- Carroll, Christopher D. & Otsuka, Misuzu & Slacalek, Jiri, 2010. "How large are housing and financial wealth effects? A new approach," Working Paper Series 1283, European Central Bank.
- Michael F. Lovenheim & Kevin J. Mumford, 2010.
"Do Family Wealth Shocks Affect Fertility Choices? Evidence from the Housing Market Boom and Bust,"
Purdue University Economics Working Papers
1228, Purdue University, Department of Economics.
- Michael Lovenheim & Kevin Mumford, 2010. "Do Family Wealth Shocks Affect Fertility Choices? Evidence from the Housing Market Boom and Bust," Discussion Papers 09-004, Stanford Institute for Economic Policy Research.
- Altonji, Joseph G, 1986. "Intertemporal Substitution in Labor Supply: Evidence from Micro Data," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 94(3), pages S176-S215, June.
- Atif R. Mian & Amir Sufi, 2009.
"House Prices, Home Equity-Based Borrowing, and the U.S. Household Leverage Crisis,"
NBER Working Papers
15283, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Atif Mian & Amir Sufi, 2011. "House Prices, Home Equity-Based Borrowing, and the US Household Leverage Crisis," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 101(5), pages 2132-56, August.
- Blundell, Richard & Brewer, Mike & Francesconi, Marco, 2007.
"Job Changes and Hours Changes: Understanding the Path of Labour Supply Adjustment,"
IZA Discussion Papers
3044, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Richard Blundell & Mike Brewer & Marco Francesconi, 2008. "Job Changes and Hours Changes: Understanding the Path of Labor Supply Adjustment," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 26(3), pages 421-453, 07.
- Blundell, R. & Brewer, M. & Francesconi, M., 2008. "Job changes and hours changes: understanding the path of labor supply adjustment," Open Access publications from University College London http://discovery.ucl.ac.u, University College London.
- Guido W. Imbens & Donald B. Rubin & Bruce I. Sacerdote, 2001. "Estimating the Effect of Unearned Income on Labor Earnings, Savings, and Consumption: Evidence from a Survey of Lottery Players," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 91(4), pages 778-794, September.
- Michael F. Lovenheim & Kevin J. Mumford, 2013. "Do Family Wealth Shocks Affect Fertility Choices? Evidence from the Housing Market," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 95(2), pages 464-475, May.
- Disney, Richard & Gathergood, John, 2009.
"Housing wealth, liquidity constraints and self-employment,"
Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 79-88, January.
- Richard Disney & John Gathergood, . "Housing Wealth, Liquidity Constraints and Self-Employment," Discussion Papers 08/03, University of Nottingham, Centre for Finance, Credit and Macroeconomics (CFCM).
- Richard Disney & John Gathergood & Andrew Henley, 2010. "House Price Shocks, Negative Equity, and Household Consumption in the United Kingdom," Journal of the European Economic Association, MIT Press, vol. 8(6), pages 1179-1207, December.
- Jeffrey R. Brown & Courtney C. Coile & Scott J. Weisbenner, 2006.
"The Effect of Inheritance Receipt on Retirement,"
NBER Working Papers
12386, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- MaCurdy, Thomas E, 1981. "An Empirical Model of Labor Supply in a Life-Cycle Setting," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 89(6), pages 1059-85, December.
- Martin Farnham & Purvi Sevak, 2007. "Housing Wealth and Retirement Timing," Working Papers wp172, University of Michigan, Michigan Retirement Research Center.
- Hurst, Erik & Stafford, Frank, 2004. "Home Is Where the Equity Is: Mortgage Refinancing and Household Consumption," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 36(6), pages 985-1014, December.
- Erik Hurst & Annamaria Lusardi, 2004. "Liquidity Constraints, Household Wealth, and Entrepreneurship," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 112(2), pages 319-347, April.
- Michael F. Lovenheim, 2011. "The Effect of Liquid Housing Wealth on College Enrollment," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 29(4), pages 741 - 771.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.