Using Wavelets to decompose time-frequency economic relations
AbstractEconomic agents simultaneously operate at different horizons. Many economic processes are the result of the actions of several agents with different term objectives. Therefore, economic time-series is a combination of components operating on different frequencies. Several questions about the data are connected to the understanding of the time-series behavior at different frequencies. While Fourier analysis is not appropriate to study the cyclical nature of economic time-series, because these are rarely stationary, wavelet analysis performs the estimation of the spectral characteristics of a time-series as a function of time. In spite of all its advantages, wavelets are hardly ever used in economics. The purpose of this paper is to show that cross wavelet analysis can be used to directly study the interactions different time-series in the time-frequency domain. We use wavelets to analyze the impact of interest rate price changes on some macroeconomic variables: Industrial Production, Inflation and the monetary aggregates M1 and M2. Specifically, three tools are utilized: the wavelet power spectrum, wavelet coherency and wavelet phase-difference. These instruments illustrate how the use of wavelets may help to unravel economic time-frequency relations that would otherwise remain hidden.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by NIPE - Universidade do Minho in its series NIPE Working Papers with number 17/2007.
Date of creation: 2007
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Núcleo de Investigação em Políticas Económicas, Escola de Economia e Gestão, Universidade do Minho, P-4710-057 Braga, Portugal
Phone: +351-253604510 ext 5532
Web page: http://www3.eeg.uminho.pt/economia/nipe/versao_inglesa/index_uk.htm
More information through EDIRC
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2007-10-06 (All new papers)
- NEP-CBA-2007-10-06 (Central Banking)
- NEP-ETS-2007-10-06 (Econometric Time Series)
- NEP-MAC-2007-10-06 (Macroeconomics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rasche, Robert H., 1987. "M1 -- Velocity and money-demand functions: Do stable relationships exist?," Carnegie-Rochester Conference Series on Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 27(1), pages 9-88, January.
- Sylvain Leduc & Keith Sill, 2001.
"A quantitative analysis of oil-price shocks, systematic monetary policy, and economic downturns,"
01-9, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- Leduc, Sylvain & Sill, Keith, 2004. "A quantitative analysis of oil-price shocks, systematic monetary policy, and economic downturns," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 51(4), pages 781-808, May.
- Ramsey James B. & Lampart Camille, 1998. "The Decomposition of Economic Relationships by Time Scale Using Wavelets: Expenditure and Income," Studies in Nonlinear Dynamics & Econometrics, De Gruyter, vol. 3(1), pages 1-22, April.
- Robert B. Barsky & Lutz Kilian, 2002.
"Do We Really Know that Oil Caused the Great Stagflation? A Monetary Alternative,"
in: NBER Macroeconomics Annual 2001, Volume 16, pages 137-198
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Robert B. Barsky & Lutz Kilian, 2001. "Do We Really Know that Oil Caused the Great Stagflation? A Monetary Alternative," NBER Working Papers 8389, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Olivier Blanchard & John Simon, 2001. "The Long and Large Decline in U.S. Output Volatility," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 32(1), pages 135-174.
- Jozef BARUNÍK & Lukáš VÁCHA, 2013.
"Contagion among Central and Eastern European Stock Markets during the Financial Crisis,"
Czech Journal of Economics and Finance (Finance a uver),
Charles University Prague, Faculty of Social Sciences, vol. 63(5), pages 443-453, November.
- Jozef Barunik & Lukas Vacha, 2013. "Contagion among Central and Eastern European stock markets during the financial crisis," Papers 1309.0491, arXiv.org, revised Sep 2013.
- Niyati Bhanja & Arif Billah Dar & Aviral Kumar Tiwari & Olaolu Richard Olayeni, 2012. "Are Stock Prices Hedge Against Inflation? A Revisit over Time and Frequencies in India," Central European Journal of Economic Modelling and Econometrics, CEJEME, vol. 4(3), pages 199-213, September.
- Tsangyao Chang & Xiao-lin Li & Stephen M. Miller & Mehmet Balcilar & Rangan Gupta, 2013.
"The Co-Movement and Causality between the U.S. Real Estate and Stock Markets in the Time and Frequency Domains,"
2013-34, University of Connecticut, Department of Economics.
- Tsangyao Chang & Xiao-lin Li & Stephen M. Miller & Mehmet Balcilar & Rangan Gupta, 2013. "The Co-Movement and Causality between the U.S. Real Estate and Stock Markets in the Time and Frequency Domains," Working Papers 201365, University of Pretoria, Department of Economics.
- Tiwari, Aviral Kumar, 2012. "Decomposing Time-Frequency Relationship between Interest Rates and Share Prices in India through Wavelets," MPRA Paper 39693, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Aguiar-Conraria, Luís & Martins, Manuel M.F. & Soares, Maria Joana, 2012.
"The yield curve and the macro-economy across time and frequencies,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 36(12), pages 1950-1970.
- Luís Francisco Aguiar & Manuel M. F. Martins & Maria Joana Soares, 2010. "The yield curve and the macro-economy across time and frequencies," NIPE Working Papers 21/2010, NIPE - Universidade do Minho.
- Luís Aguiar-Conraria & Manuel M. F. Martins & Maria Joana Soares, 2010. "The yield curve and the macro-economy across time and frequencies," CEF.UP Working Papers 1004, Universidade do Porto, Faculdade de Economia do Porto.
- Luís Aguiar-Conraria & Maria Soares, 2011. "Oil and the macroeconomy: using wavelets to analyze old issues," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 40(3), pages 645-655, May.
- Gazi Salah Uddin & Aviral Kumar Tiwari, 2013. "Measuring co-movement of oil price and exchange rate differential in Bangladesh," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 33(3), pages 1922-1930.
- Ladislav Kristoufek, 2013. "Fractal Markets Hypothesis and the Global Financial Crisis: Wavelet Power Evidence," Papers 1310.1446, arXiv.org.
- Antonis Michis, 2011. "Multiscale Analysis of the Liquidity Effect," Working Papers 2011-5, Central Bank of Cyprus.
- Luís Francisco Aguiar & Pedro C. Magalhães & Maria Joana Soares, 2010. "On Waves in War and Elections Wavelet Analysis of Political Time-Series," NIPE Working Papers 1/2010, NIPE - Universidade do Minho.
- Shahbaz, Muhammad & Tiwari, Aviral Kumar & Tahir, Mohammad Iqbal, 2013. "Analyzing Time-Frequency Relationship between Oil Price and Exchange Rate in Pakistan through Wavelets," MPRA Paper 48086, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 05 Jul 2013.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Maria João Thompson).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.