Fractal Markets Hypothesis and the Global Financial Crisis: Wavelet Power Evidence
AbstractWe analyze whether the prediction of the fractal markets hypothesis about a dominance of specific investment horizons during turbulent times holds. To do so, we utilize the continuous wavelet transform analysis and obtained wavelet power spectra which give the crucial information about the variance distribution across scales and its evolution in time. We show that the most turbulent times of the Global Financial Crisis can be very well characterized by the dominance of short investment horizons which is in hand with the assertions of the fractal markets hypothesis.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by arXiv.org in its series Papers with number 1310.1446.
Date of creation: Oct 2013
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in Scientific Reports 3:2857, 2013
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://arxiv.org/
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bollerslev, Tim, 1986.
"Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity,"
Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier,
Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 307-327, April.
- Tim Bollerslev, 1986. "Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity," EERI Research Paper Series EERI RP 1986/01, Economics and Econometrics Research Institute (EERI), Brussels.
- Alexandre Roch, 2011. "Liquidity risk, price impacts and the replication problem," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, Springer, vol. 15(3), pages 399-419, September.
- Szabolcs Mike & J. Doyne Farmer, 2007.
"An empirical behavioral model of liquidity and volatility,"
- Mike, Szabolcs & Farmer, J. Doyne, 2008. "An empirical behavioral model of liquidity and volatility," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 200-234, January.
- António Rua & Luís Catela Nunes, 2009.
"International comovement of stock market returns: a wavelet analysis,"
Working Papers, Banco de Portugal, Economics and Research Department
w200904, Banco de Portugal, Economics and Research Department.
- Rua, António & Nunes, Luís C., 2009. "International comovement of stock market returns: A wavelet analysis," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 16(4), pages 632-639, September.
- Lukas Vacha & Karel Janda & Ladislav Kristoufek & David Zilberman, 2012.
"Time-Frequency Dynamics of Biofuels-Fuels-Food System,"
- Vacha, Lukas & Janda, Karel & Kristoufek, Ladislav & Zilberman, David, 2013. "Time–frequency dynamics of biofuel–fuel–food system," Energy Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 40(C), pages 233-241.
- Lukas Vacha & Karel Janda & Ladislav Kristoufek & David Zilbermand, 2013. "Time-Frequency Dynamics of Biofuels-Fuels-Food System," CAMA Working Papers 2013-27, Centre for Applied Macroeconomic Analysis, Crawford School of Public Policy, The Australian National University.
- Lukas Vacha & Jozef Barunik, 2012.
"Co-movement of energy commodities revisited: Evidence from wavelet coherence analysis,"
- Vacha, Lukas & Barunik, Jozef, 2012. "Co-movement of energy commodities revisited: Evidence from wavelet coherence analysis," Energy Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 34(1), pages 241-247.
- Philipp Weber & Bernd Rosenow, 2006. "Large stock price changes: volume or liquidity?," Quantitative Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 6(1), pages 7-14.
- Ladislav Kristoufek, 2012.
"Fractal Markets Hypothesis And The Global Financial Crisis: Scaling, Investment Horizons And Liquidity,"
Advances in Complex Systems (ACS), World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd.,
World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 15(06), pages 1250065-1-1.
- Ladislav Kristoufek, 2012. "Fractal Markets Hypothesis and the Global Financial Crisis: Scaling, Investment Horizons and Liquidity," Papers 1203.4979, arXiv.org.
- Jain, Prem C. & Joh, Gun-Ho, 1988. "The Dependence between Hourly Prices and Trading Volume," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge University Press, vol. 23(03), pages 269-283, September.
- Luís Francisco Aguiar-Conraria & Maria Joana Soares & Nuno Azevedo, 2007. "Using Wavelets to decompose time-frequency economic relations," NIPE Working Papers, NIPE - Universidade do Minho 17/2007, NIPE - Universidade do Minho.
- J. Doyne Farmer & Laszlo Gillemot & Fabrizio Lillo & Szabolcs Mike & Anindya Sen, 2003.
"What really causes large price changes?,"
cond-mat/0312703, arXiv.org, revised Apr 2004.
- Rita Sousa & Luís Aguiar-Conraria & Maria Joana Soares, 2014. "Carbon Financial Markets: a time-frequency analysis of CO2 price drivers," NIPE Working Papers, NIPE - Universidade do Minho 03/2014, NIPE - Universidade do Minho.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (arXiv administrators).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.