Unionization and Employment Behavior
AbstractAlthough there exists a large literature on the effects of trade unions upon wages, there is no published work that uses microeconomic data to examine the employment consequences of unionization. The paper addresses this issue with a new British data set and shows that, even after the addition of a substantial set of control variables, there is a strong association between poor employment performance and the presence of trade unions. The union employment growth differential is estimated at approximately -3% per annum.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc in its series NBER Working Papers with number 3180.
Date of creation: Nov 1989
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: National Bureau of Economic Research, 1050 Massachusetts Avenue Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Addison, John T & Hirsch, Barry T, 1989. "Union Effects on Productivity, Profits, and Growth: Has the Long Run Arrived?," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 7(1), pages 72-105, January.
- Freeman, Richard B & Medoff, James L, 1982. "Substitution between Production Labor and Other Inputs in Unionized and Nonunionized Manufacturing," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 64(2), pages 220-33, May.
- Dunne, T. & Roberts, M.J. & Samuelson L., 1988.
"Plant Turnover And Gross Employment Flows In The U.S. Manufacturing Sector,"
9-87-7, Pennsylvania State - Department of Economics.
- Dunne, Timothy & Roberts, Mark J & Samuelson, Larry, 1989. "Plant Turnover and Gross Employment Flows in the U.S. Manufacturing Sector," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 7(1), pages 48-71, January.
- Stewart, Mark B, 1983. "Relative Earnings and Individual Union Membership in the United Kingdom," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 50(198), pages 111-25, May.
- Daniel S. Hamermesh, 1991.
"Data Difficulties in Labor Economics,"
in: Fifty Years of Economic Measurement: The Jubilee of the Conference on Research in Income and Wealth, pages 273-298
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Stafford, Frank, 1984.
"Forestalling the Demise of Empirical Economics: The Role of Microdata in Labor Economics Research,"
Working Paper Series
119, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Stafford, Frank, 1987. "Forestalling the demise of empirical economics: The role of microdata in labor economics research," Handbook of Labor Economics, in: O. Ashenfelter & R. Layard (ed.), Handbook of Labor Economics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 7, pages 387-423 Elsevier.
- Blanchflower, David G & Oswald, Andrew J & Garrett, Mario D, 1990.
"Insider Power in Wage Determination,"
London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 57(226), pages 143-70, May.
- David G. Blanchflower & Andrew J. Oswald & Mario D. Garrett, 1990. "Insider Power in Wage Determination," NBER Working Papers 3179, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Blanchflower, D. & Oswald, A. & Garrett, M., 1988. "Insider Power In Wage Determination," Papers 319, London School of Economics - Centre for Labour Economics.
- Freeman, Richard, 1988. "Union density and economic performance : An analysis of U.S. States," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 32(2-3), pages 707-716, March.
- Oswald, Andrew J., 1988. "Introduction," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 32(2-3), pages 695-697, March.
- Blanchflower, David G. & Millward, Neil, 1988. "Trade unions and employment change : An analysis of British establishment data," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 32(2-3), pages 717-726, March.
- Nickell, S.J., 1987. "Dynamic models of labour demand," Handbook of Labor Economics, in: O. Ashenfelter & R. Layard (ed.), Handbook of Labor Economics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 9, pages 473-522 Elsevier.
- Leonard, J.S., 1987.
"Employment Variation and Wage Rigidity: A Comparison of Union and Non-Union Plants,"
6, California Berkeley - Institute of Industrial Relations.
- Leonard, Jonathan S., 1987. "Employment Variation and Wage Rigidity: A Comparison of Union and Non-Union Plants," Institute for Research on Labor and Employment, Working Paper Series qt1qn6g5bc, Institute of Industrial Relations, UC Berkeley.
- Gaskins, Darius Jr., 1971. "Dynamic limit pricing: Optimal pricing under threat of entry," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 3(3), pages 306-322, September.
- Bogliacino, Francesco & Piva, Mariacristina & Vivarelli, Marco, 2011. "R&D and Employment: Some Evidence from European Microdata," IZA Discussion Papers 5908, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Francesco Bogliacino & Mariacristina Piva & Marco Vivarelli, 2011.
"The impact of R&D on employment in Europe: A firm-level analysis,"
DISCE - Quaderni del Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche e Sociali
dises1176, Università Cattolica del Sacro Cuore, Dipartimenti e Istituti di Scienze Economiche (DISCE).
- Francesco Bogliacino & Mariacristina Piva & Marco Vivarelli, 2011. "The impact of R&D on employment in Europe: a firm-level analysis," Working Papers 2011/20, Institut d'Economia de Barcelona (IEB).
- Francesco Bogliacino & Mariacristina Piva & Marco Vivarelli, 2011. "Job Creation Effects of R&D Expenditures: Are High-tech Sectors the Key?," JRC-IPTS Working Papers on Corporate R&D and Innovation 2011-10, Institute of Prospective Technological Studies, Joint Research Centre.
- Marco Vivarelli, 2011.
"Innovation, Employment and Skills in Advanced and Developing Countries: A Survey of the Literature,"
61058, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Vivarelli, Marco, 2012. "Innovation, Employment and Skills in Advanced and Developing Countries: A Survey of the Literature," IZA Discussion Papers 6291, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Mark Bils, 1990. "Wage and Employment Patterns in Long-Term Contracts When Labor is Quasi-Fixed," NBER Chapters, in: NBER Macroeconomics Annual 1990, Volume 5, pages 187-236 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.