The Choice between Formal and Informal Intellectual Property: A Literature Review
AbstractWe survey the economic literature, both theoretical and empirical, on the choice of intellectual property protection by firms. Our focus is on the tradeoffs between using patents and disclosing versus the use of secrecy, although we also look briefly at the use of other means of formal intellectual property protection.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc in its series NBER Working Papers with number 17983.
Date of creation: Apr 2012
Date of revision:
Note: IO LE PR
Contact details of provider:
Postal: National Bureau of Economic Research, 1050 Massachusetts Avenue Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- K11 - Law and Economics - - Basic Areas of Law - - - Property Law
- L29 - Industrial Organization - - Firm Objectives, Organization, and Behavior - - - Other
- O34 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - Intellectual Property and Intellectual Capital
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-04-17 (All new papers)
- NEP-CUL-2012-04-17 (Cultural Economics)
- NEP-HIS-2012-04-17 (Business, Economic & Financial History)
- NEP-INO-2012-04-17 (Innovation)
- NEP-IPR-2012-04-17 (Intellectual Property Rights)
- NEP-LAW-2012-04-17 (Law & Economics)
- NEP-TID-2012-04-17 (Technology & Industrial Dynamics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Nicola C Searle & Gavin C Reid, . "Firm size and trade secret intensity: evidence from the Economic Espionage Act," CRIEFF Discussion Papers 1203, Centre for Research into Industry, Enterprise, Finance and the Firm.
- Francisco Ruiz Aliseda & Emeric Henry, 2013.
"Innovation beyond Patents: Technological Complexity as a Protection against Imitation,"
Sciences Po Economics Discussion Papers
2013-06, Sciences Po Departement of Economics.
- Henry, Emeric & Ruiz-Aliseda, Francisco, 2012. "Innovation Beyond Patents: Technological Complexity as a Protection against Imitation," CEPR Discussion Papers 8870, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- BELLELFLAMME, Paul & BLOCH , Francis & ,, 2013. "Dynamic protection of innovations through patents and trade secrets," CORE Discussion Papers 2013059, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Paul Belleflamme & Paul Bloch, 2013. "Dynamic Protection of Innovations through Patents and Trade Secrets," CESifo Working Paper Series 4486, CESifo Group Munich.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.