The Contribution of Trade to Wage Inequality: The Role of Skill, Gender, and Nationality
AbstractInternational trade has been cited as a source of widening wage inequality in industrial nations. Consistent with this claim, we find a significant export wage premium for high-skilled workers in German manufacturing and an export wage discount for lower skilled workers, using matched employer-employee data. Estimates suggest that the export wage premium to high-skilled workers represents up to one third of their overall skill premium. But, while an increase in exports increases wage inequality along the dimension of skill, it diminishes the wage inequality associated with both gender and nationality. In this way, trade contributes to narrowing wage gaps and mitigating wage inequality in German manufacturing.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc in its series NBER Working Papers with number 15985.
Date of creation: May 2010
Date of revision:
Note: IFM ITI
Contact details of provider:
Postal: National Bureau of Economic Research, 1050 Massachusetts Avenue Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F16 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Trade and Labor Market Interactions
- J31 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Wages, Compensation, and Labor Costs - - - Wage Level and Structure; Wage Differentials
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Egger, Hartmut & Egger, Peter & Kreickemeier, Udo, 2011.
"Trade, Wages, and Profits,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
8727, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Hartmut Egger & Peter Egger & Udo Kreickemeier, 2012. "Trade, Wages, and Profits," CESifo Working Paper Series 3911, CESifo Group Munich.
- Egger, Hartmut & Egger, Peter & Kreickemeier, Udo, 2011. "Trade, wages, and profits," University of Tuebingen Working Papers in Economics and Finance 23, University of Tuebingen, Faculty of Economics and Social Sciences.
- Udo Kreickemeier & Peter Egger & Hartmut Egger, 2012. "Trade, Wages, and Profits," 2012 Meeting Papers 188, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Achim Schmillen, 2011.
"The Exporter Wage Premium Reconsidered - Destinations, Distances and Linked Employer-Employee Data,"
111, Bavarian Graduate Program in Economics (BGPE).
- Achim Schmillen, 2011. "The Exporter Wage Premium Reconsidered Destinations, Distances and Linked Employer-Employee Data," Working Papers 305, Institut für Ost- und Südosteuropaforschung (Institute for East and South-East European Studies).
- Wagner, Joachim, 2011.
"International Trade and Firm Performance: A Survey of Empirical Studies since 2006,"
IZA Discussion Papers
5916, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Joachim Wagner, 2012. "International trade and firm performance: a survey of empirical studies since 2006," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 148(2), pages 235-267, June.
- Joachim Wagner, 2011. "International Trade and Firm Performance: A Survey of Empirical Studies since 2006," Working Paper Series in Economics 210, University of Lüneburg, Institute of Economics.
- Hartmut Egger & Udo Kreickemeier, 2008.
"Fairness, Trade, and Inequality,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
2344, CESifo Group Munich.
- Ronald B Davies & Rodolphe Desbordesz, 2012.
"Greenfield FDI and Skill Upgrading,"
201209, School Of Economics, University College Dublin.
- Davies, Ronald & Desbordes, Rodolphe, 2012. "Greenfield FDI and Skill Upgrading," CEPR Discussion Papers 8912, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Ronald B. Davies & Rodolphe Desbordes, 2012. "Greenfield FDI and Skill Upgrading," The Institute for International Integration Studies Discussion Paper Series iiisdp395, IIIS.
- Sarra Ben Yahmed, 2012. "Gender Wage Gaps across Skills and Trade Openness," Working Papers halshs-00793559, HAL.
- Sarra Ben Yahmed, 2012. "Gender Wage Gaps across Skills and Trade Openness," AMSE Working Papers 1232, Aix-Marseille School of Economics, Marseille, France, revised Nov 2012.
- Maiti, Dibyendu & Mukherjee, Arijit, 2013. "Trade cost reduction, subcontracting and unionised wage," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(C), pages 103-110.
- Felbermayr, Gabriel & Hauptmann, Andreas & Schmerer, Hans-Jörg, 2012.
"International trade and collective bargaining outcomes : evidence from German employer-employee data,"
IAB Discussion Paper
201207, Institut für Arbeitsmarkt- und Berufsforschung (IAB), Nürnberg [Institute for Employment Research, Nuremberg, Germany].
- Gabriel J. Felbermayr & Andreas Hauptmann & Hans-Jörg Schmerer, 2012. "International Trade and Collective Bargaining Outcomes: Evidence from German Employer-Employee Data," Ifo Working Paper Series Ifo Working Paper No. 130, Ifo Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.